What's new

New here major question. (1 Viewer)

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I have a hitachi 57"rptv and am wondering if I am causing any damage to my tv by having my acoustic research center channel speaker sitting on it(because of the magnets). I also have my receiver and dvd player on top of the tv is it doing anything bad. Not a big fan of entertainment centers or cabinets. My wires are still hidden pretty well that would be the only reason I would use a cabinet. I have heard of speakes causing damage to tv because of the magnets. Thanks in advance. David

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
You should be fine. All the electronics and the CRT tubes of the TV are at the bottom, plenty of distance from the speaker.

The only thing that the speaker is sitting on top of is the mirror.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I would NOT recommend putting all those things on top. The TV frame might not hold up all the weight very well and might sag over time.

_Man_

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Man is quite correct the weight of all that gear is not good for a tv frame stress fractures might evolve over time then your up the creek with a paddle.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The TV frame might not hold up all the weight very well and might sag over time
But aren't new tv's built for that in mind? Maybe not the added weight of a reciever, but a center speaker shouldn't be heavy enough to sag it.

I have my center speaker and my ReplayTV on top, but I keep the ReplayTV toward the far left side where there's more support from the side of the cabinet.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
A center speaker is not a problem, but more than that could be a big issue. I know id never put my receiver and dvd player on mine it would cause serious damage, these tv's are not emant to take more tha 10 pounds or so for a center channel, maybe a bit more weight, but i would not chance it, companies cut costs by putting less of that stuff like structeral integrity into their products.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
So I guess all you guys agree with Max. The magnets in the center channel will not hurt my picture or anything inside the tv. Thanks for the advice guys.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
As others have said, you shouldn't be concerned with the magnets in the speakers, but with the weight of all the equipment on top...even tube TV's have enough shielding in them, and a good center speaker should be sheilded properly since the top of a tv is where most of them end up.

If I were you, I'd find out what your TV manufacturer recommends as the max weight. Try emailing their tech support. As John-Miles said, 10 pounds is probably a good reference weight, which would be fine for a speaker and maybe the DVD player, but your receiver may be adding a bit too much extra weight.

If you absolutely have to have the receiver up there, definitely keep it to one side where there is more structural support.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
To the side may not necessairly do it either, depending on the actualy construction and inside structure the center may be the best place for it, bottom line is take the receiver off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks