What's new

New Hard Boiled DVD has dubtitles (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
No, but it's a very minor point. I listen to SDH subs all the time (when they are all there is) and it isn't very bothersome.
I often prefer having subs on even on English audio tracks, especially on films (TV Shows) like The Sopranos, or certain Westerns, where it appears to be easy to miss many lines otherwise.

If the dubs were perfect translations, than why? If next to the dubs perfectly translated subs are available too, then, again, why?

So, first of all, we need to know the answer to the original question: are reasonably translated subtitles available on this release (even SDH), or not?
Anyone?

Cees

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
Cees,

I don't think there's such a thing as a perfectly translated dubtitle, if it's perfectly translated, it would be a subtitle, rather than the slang "dubtitle".

I don't see what the issue is, apart from people not understanding that there is no english subtitle for the original cantonese dialogue on this particular hard boiled release. which is why there is no way I'm buying this shoddy product.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
It's not a matter of "not understanding", it's "not knowing". Some believe that there is a subtitle-track as well. All we need is someone to confirm or deny it.

Cees

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Okay I'll clear it up. If this only contains Dubtitles I'll scratch it off my list. Better? :)

While subtitles are only as good as the translator doing the translating, dubtitles tend to change tone and meaning to fit Western audiences or even worse choosing unintended dialog because it better mimics an actors lip movement.

In other words dubtitles suck. If this is screwed up then hopefully Weinstein will correct it on a future HD version, but I doubt it.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
This will be inculded as a Blu-Ray DVD with the PS3 version of the video game Stranglehold. I doubt they will change anything for a future release.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Never mind the dubtitles, subtitles whatever, does it have an English language track? Half the fun of watching these awful Hong Kong actioners is listening to the atrocious dubbing.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm pretty sure they listed it as having the original English language Dub version that John Woo preferes Steve.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
well, wh would he let it get released with a 5.1 english dub on his own personal print if he didn;t prefer it? I'd say my logic is sound.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

Depends, do you know me at all? I can see how that can come off seeming sarcastic, but believe me there are people out there that laugh like hyenas at all these HK actioners, and who can blame them? ;)

Hard-Boiled is my favorite John Woo film, The Killer is no.2, yes that was sarcasm. I was wondering if this dvd was worth a double dip, doesn't look like it. Nice cover though. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

this thread is a mess. has anything been confirmed yet? And Steve? the last thing we need is you being all sarcastic.

Weesh!!

IanD

Stunt Coordinator

Hard Boiled is hardly an "awful" film. It deserves to be seen in Cantonese with decent subtitles. So do many great HK movies. It's a shame Dragon Dynasty is dropping the ball by using dubtitles.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

Matthew, your LoveandBullets link doesn't work. I used to visit that site, is it down?

Russwell, has there been any sightings of the threadstarter since he started this thing? :cool:

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Steve -
I fixed the link in the signature. That's weird, it used to work. I know I have to fix a couple of pages. I recently switched host provider and for some reason a few page don't want to appear.

The review in the above link is pretty thorough but I want to see this one for myself. I don't think this version is zoomed in all that much. It was probably to hide print damage or jump frames.

IanD

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I don't think it's that zoomed in at all. But the team behind it, formerly of UK's Hong Kong Legends, is notorious for cropping and distorting the image. Their first few releases were all cropped from 2.35:1 to 1.85:1 on the grounds that - and I'm quoting from memory here - "teenagers don't like black bars" and "most DVD players can't handle 2.35:1". Despite the reputation, HKL often fell below par with badly handled aspect ratios, incorrect languages and poor remixes of the original audio. These same mistakes have sadly been carried through to the Dragon Dynasty label.

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
I've never heard good things about the Dragon Dynasty label. I think they messed up some of the Jackie Chan films as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks