What's new

New Eminem CD (1 Viewer)

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I am not a fan of rap. I often find it repetetive and boring. But, after listening to a few Eminem songs (thanks to this very thread), I must say that I did enjoy what I was hearing. As far as skills go, I don't know how he is viewed in the world of rap, but he sounded capable to me. More than that, though, is that he was just goofing around. His songs were parodies and weren't meant to be serious. I liked that. I liked that he was laughing more at himself than at anything else. I'll probably be picking this one up.
NP-Frankenweenie-Dirtadur
Bruce

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I got to hear most of the new album and so far I like it. Right now I have to say it isn't as good as the Marshall Mathers LP, but it is good. A couple of the songs I found a bit weak but the strong songs are really really good. The new single is way better now that I got to hear it unedited. I also got a kick out of the song where he is a substitute teacher. :)
There is one song that is just really heavy, I can't think of the name......it might be "till I confess"? That song is incredible. I can't wait to pick this up next Tuesday.
I also agree with Bruce on the goofing around and laughing at himself comments.
-Dean-
NP: Eminem - The Eminem Show

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
More than that, though, is that he was just goofing around. His songs were parodies and weren't meant to be serious. I liked that. I liked that he was laughing more at himself than at anything else. I'll probably be picking this one up.
Actually this is quite common in rap, particularly in good rap.

NP: King Crimson: "Discipline" The more I look at it, the more I like it. I do think it's good! The fact is, no matter how closely I study it, no matter how I take it apart, no matter how I break it down, it remains consistent. I wish you were here to see it!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
The funny thing is, kids do understand that Eminem is making fun at himself and that it's all a big joke, albeit a pretty nasty one. Yet adults don't, so they fear for the children, who understand it more than they do. Ironic, no?
I've been considering picking up the album, but I don't think it would have repeat listening value for me, and there's way too much other stuff I want to get.
Phil: Listening to and quoting Discipline? Know you're just trying to get on my good side. :)

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
The funny thing is, kids do understand that Eminem is making fun at himself and that it's all a big joke, albeit a pretty nasty one. Yet adults don't, so they fear for the children, who understand it more than they do. Ironic, no?
I hadn't thought about it this way, but you are probably exactly right.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Nick your comments above, which I deleted, were uncalled for. Please refrain from posting in such a manner again.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I heard a 4 song preview of this. I have to say, he does get better. I thought the Marshall Mathers LP was very dark as opposed to the comedy-ridden debut(which was also good). So far though, "The Eminem Show" seems to even out do the previous two. It's clever, funny, and he flows like nobody's biz! This is my NP

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I am liking this new CD more and more with each listen. 'Till I Collapse is still my fav. Tuesday is going to be an expensive day.

-Dean-

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A side effect of his music is that it becomes instantly dated. Everything's rebelling against current issues. I don't believe he really has anything to say, and it is just a sales gimmick, but God bless him for it.And besides, he's probably doing a public service. Just mentioning current events is bound to get his less-educated followers into it.

It's pretty much a commerical act, but that's the joy of capitalism. Some people out there obviously like his stuff, and more power to them. It's certainly admirable that he takes controversial issues on... Whatever you want to say about his music, it's got balls. Sorta like O'Reilly Factor to a beat.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
of course it's an act. All throughout his music there are direct and indirect references to it.

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
I picked up the actual CD (w/ bonus DVD) today. It was released on Saturday night here in the Chicago area. I have to say that after hearing the full album several times now, it is right up there with the last CD.

-Dean-

NP: Eminem - The Eminem Show

paul_v

Second Unit
"God bless him for it"

LOL I doubt Eminem wants to be blessed by God, but nothing wrong in praying for the guy =)

Anyways, Eminem is a guilty pleasure I have. He is definately the most talented rapper out there when it comes to style. I just love how his raps sounds like a conversation and not a poem. Most of his raps have no poetic properties at all and it sounds brilliant the way the lyrics flow. As for his content, the only time I cringe at his lyrics is when he talks about beating up his wife etc. That really is nothing to be proud of but he's free to rap about it and it's obvious he's not serious about it. I will be picking up the new album today.

Ike

Screenwriter
I'm almost ashamed...but after this discussion, I found the CD for cheap, and decided I should put my money where my mouth is, and I ordered it. :b Mainstream rap....yech. But, I'm hoping for a guilty pleasure. And, like Mike said earlier, I'm oddly attracted to controversial music (hell, controversial anything).

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I purchased the Album today and since I was driving a lot today i've listened to it a few times through. Just like his previous efforts. I love it. I still like the MM LP better but this release has a lot of catchy/entertaining songs and amusing lyrics.

Dean,

I agree 'Till I Collapse is an awesome track and probably my favorite at the moment. Cleanin out my Closet is also one of my fave's, mainly because everytime I watch that 8 Mile trailer it sticks in my head all day.

Is the bonus DVD standard on all the releases? I got it today, sure its just a small promo DVD but its got some entertaining material on it. It also has the 8 Mile trailer for those who haven't seen it yet, should make the Eminem fans who hadn't heard about it yet interested in checking out the flick. Good marketing IMO.

MikeKaz

Stunt Coordinator
alright, this is the response i didnt get to finish a while ago- it really is a good album, many of the doubters should actually listen to it. it is serious album as opposed to the other CD's eminem has released thus far.

He has right-on lyrics like "they just make it no like no such thing, like a female with good looks who looks and cleans." and a little self-serving commentary, mocking the undeserved attention that is paid a single death in the news, when hundreds of people die each day, all while he is saying how good he is (which is pretty good). This line is just brilliant- "People steppin over people just to bust in the set, just to see an MC who breathes so freely. Ease over these beats and be so breezy. Jesus how can shit be so easy, How can one Chandra be so Levy "

But then he has no problem talking about the dead serious like "Yeah you laugh till your motherfuckin ass gets drafted

While you're at band camp thinkin the crap can't happen

'Til you fuck around, get an anthrax napkin

Inside a package wrapped in Saran Wrap wrappin

Open the plastic and then you stand back gaspin

Fuckin assassins, hijackin Amtraks, crashin

All this terror, America demands action

Next thing you know, you've got Uncle Sam's ass askin

to join the Army or what you'll do for their Navy

You just a baby, gettin recruited at eighteen...

I'm twenty-eight, they gonna

take you 'fore they take me."

This is very real and is a wake up call for younger people. My advice is to not dismiss Eminem's lyrics in this album as a bunch of fantasy BS, as it was in his previous CD's. Now he is talking about shit which actuallly pertains to our post-attack lives and society, which anyone should pay attention to. Even songs that I didn't like when I first heard them- after I actually started listening to the lyrics I was amazed at how deep and pertinent all of his lyrics were, on ALL of his songs on this CD. It's an amazing album.

Users who are viewing this thread