What's new

New Diana Krall CD 3-31-2009 (and other new Krall releases) (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
htf_imgcache_42615.jpeg

Well...I picked this up last night and had the intention of just giving it a test-drive by listening to a few tracks and found myself mesmerized and listening to nearly half of it's content. Just beautiful.
Briefly, this disc comes with thee audio options: stereo PCM, DD 5.1 and DTS HD-MA. Beware, it defaults to the LPCM stereo track. They all sound good. The DD 5.1 sounds good but the DTS HD-MA sounds even better. (I'm only getting the core of the MA track using analog connections from my Panny BD-10 to my older Sony HT receiver). The PCM stereo track sounds really crisp if that's the way you want to listen.
As I stated above, I prefer Krall in her trio setting. John Clayton's fantastic basslines were really present in my subwoofer and Jeff Hamilton and Anthony Wilson were their usual terrific selves. The tracks which included the orchestra also seemed to be mixed in a way that really kept the trio front and center (as it should be).
There was a nice assortment of tracks mixed in with the Quiet Nights material including some of my favorites from her Nat Cole tribute CD. There was an especially nice moment during The Boy from Impanema when she asked the audience to sing along--to which they readily complied in their native tongue. It's a really tender interaction between musician and audience. There is also a version of Irving Berlin's Cheek to Cheek here that she has never recorded. Just a great set in which the musicians are all in fine form.
To me, with a small HD CRT set, the video looks fantastic. Besides usual concert lighting, there are a number of strategically placed mini-spots to highlight parts of the stage...including one to really define Ms. Krall's face at the piano. These bright bursts of light tend to cause a glowing affect at times (especially in the wide shots) but they provide a fair amount of details in the close-ups that make them worthwhile. The audience shots, which are shot in EXTREME low light--are very grainy...making me think the placement of the mini-spotlights was done with that particular purpose in mind.
There is also a four-track bonus rooftop practice session (of sorts) on the BD which features Krall, Hamilton and Wilson with some friends and admirers as they run through some of their numbers. I only watched one of these tracks but it basically amounts to Krall singing with only the guitar accompaniment in a casual setting. This really puts a spotlight on her vocals that can sometimes get lost in the instrumental inter-play of the trio. Very revealing.
149 minutes (plus) of terrifically-performed live jazz, beautifully shot and recorded! Who can ask for more?!?
Go HERE and watch the bonus video for a taste of what you'll see/hear in beautiful high-definition!
What a treat. Two big thumbs-up from an unabashed fan! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I have since watched the rest of this disc and have to say..."it's all good." But what else would you expect from me? :D
I continue to be amazed at the rooftop session as to how her vocalization skills are thrust front and center and, in some ways, come off even better than in concert. Absolutely amazing. Not a knock against her performance in the concert footage...just a revelation that her voice can truly stand on its own.
There's another bonus feature called something like "quiet conversations" which features soundbites from Krall and her bandmates about the Quiet Nights recording and the Rio concert and other stuff about her music which is very cool and insightful.
I've also listened to some more of the PCM 2.0 soundtrack. Again, I describe it as "clean and bright" but I still prefer the DTS HD-MA soundtrack which allows me to be immersed in the music. What a treat.
I had been wondering who this "older gentlemen" was singing along with her, at times, during the rooftop sessions footage. Turns out he is Carlos Lyra, the legendary Brazilian bossa nova artist.
Here's the tracklist for the concert footage on the BD:
1 I Love Being Here With You
2 Let's Fall In Love
3 Where Or When
4 Too Marvellous For Words
5 I've Grown Accustomed To His Face
6 Walk On By
7 Frim Fram Sauce
8 Cheek To Cheek
9 You're My Thrill
10 Let's Face The Music And Dance
11 Every Time We Say Goodbye
12 So Nice
13 Quiet Nights
14 Este Seu Olhar
15 Boy From Ipanema
16 I Don't Know Enough About You
17 'S Wonderful
18 Exactly Like You
Here's the footage of The Boy from Impanema in which the audience joins in on the performance:

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
wow, that clip is beyond cool!! a concert like this may sway me to finally pick up a Blu player..
I'm also a fan of Ms Krall, but for now I'll pick up that DVD asap, judging by that clip it looks like they duplicated the same "live in Paris" format.
as far as "Quiet nights" , I've read mixed reviews, but I'm not to concern about that as I like bossa nova, the only reason I haven't picked it up yet is because I have so much un-opened media that I haven't been able to watch/listen to yet... :frowning:
I think they still have it at Costco-- usually for 10.99 or so-- but I'm not sure if that disc includes the 'bonus' cuts......I'll check tomorrow.
thanks for the review..

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Alfonso:
I don't see how anyone could buy this title and not be satisfied.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I've seen the DVD on sale for $12.99 at FYE (TransWorld) and other places. So I wouldn't be surprised if Costco (and probably Fry's) has it cheaper.
Wait no longer and then move it to the front of your queue! :emoji_thumbsup:

sestamuch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonas
Alfonso_M said:
wow, that clip is beyond cool!! a concert like this may sway me to finally pick up a Blu player..
I'm also a fan of Ms Krall, but for now I'll pick up that DVD asap, judging by that clip it looks like they duplicated the same "live in Paris" format.
as far as "Quiet nights" , I've read mixed reviews, but I'm not to concern about that as I like bossa nova, the only reason I haven't picked it up yet is because I have so much un-opened media that I haven't been able to watch/listen to yet... :frowning:
I think they still have it at Costco-- usually for 10.99 or so-- but I'm not sure if that disc includes the 'bonus' cuts......I'll check tomorrow.
thanks for the review..
The clip is really cool, I can begin to imagine the awesomeness on blu...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You know, Jonas, I actually hesitated to post that clip because the video quality is so bad. While it is "okay" in that you can make everything out all right, the Blu-ray image is terrific (with the caveat that I am watching on just a 28" HD CRT set). I could see where some of those low-light shots of the audience may be problematic on larger screens...but everything looks good to me.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon /forum/thread/282906/new-diana-krall-cd-3-31-2009#post_3566071
Alfonso:
I don't see how anyone could buy this title and not be satisfied.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I've seen the DVD on sale for $12.99 at FYE (TransWorld) and other places. So I wouldn't be surprised if Costco (and probably Fry's) has it cheaper.
Wait no longer and then move it to the front of your queue! :emoji_thumbsup:
Forgot to post before, but I went out and picked up both the CD and DVD of this latest recording..
The CD was available at Costco for 10.99 with two bonus tracks..how could any Krall fan not like this is beyond me..
The DVD is great too, yeah, not as good as the "Paris" release but still this one is no slouch, I liked the DD 2CH recording better, SDVD video looks fine to me on my 57" RPTV , with the exception of the dark shots of the audience.(but who cares about that!) I was willing to pay the list price of 14.99 but to my surprise when I reach the register it was on sale for 9.99 at Best Buy.
Favorite cuts = "So nice" "boy from Ipanema" "quiet nights" "este seu olhar"

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Alfonso,
Thanks for bumping this thread. Just saw it with the "New Posts" option. I have only 1 Diana Krall CD at present ("The Look Of Love" '01) but this one looks like a winner for me as it has one of my favorite Jobim tracks (..."Ipanema") on it and I've been looking for another bossa nova vocal CD recently. I'm a long-time Jazz collector with...a few CD's /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif"> at home. I'm mainly into Sarah Vaughan & Billie Holiday & some Natalie Cole, for female Jazz V's but I really like that 1 Krall CD in the mix.
Mike F! Didn't know you're a Jazz fan.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
Jeff,
if you like Jobim then you will enjoy the 1997 CD "A twist of Jobim" , this is a beautiful compilation of different artists performing Jobim's songs.
review
a twist of Jobin
I also like the Bossa sound of Basia, it is a shame she stopped recording..
I have almost all of krall's albums, but only recently listened to "the girl in the other room" I think this is another great recording, other faves are "When I look in your eyes" and "The look of love "... "love scenes" is very nice too, this one was released in DTS..
Edited by Alfonso_M - 7/4/2009 at 06:39 am GMT
Edited by Alfonso_M - 7/4/2009 at 06:41 am GMT

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Fellas: I also recently picked up a used copy of "Bossa Nova" by John Pizzarelli. I won't be raving about it quite like I will about anything by Diana Krall...but he acquits himself nicely. His laidback style also fits the bossa nova style very nicely.
For those of you who have seen the Impanema number on the Krall concert, read this from the Pizzarelli liner notes:

I will never forget an evening in Sao Paolo in 1998 at a club called Bourbon Street. The crowd was asking for an encore. We were thinking of what to play when the crowd silenced and a photographer shouted: "Girl from Impanema." After I sang the first chorus in English, the audience, two hundred strong, sang a chorus in Portuguese. I felt as if I was hearing them sing their national anthem.
That led Pizzarelli to include Jobim's grandson on that track on the CD! /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif
Jeff: I'm not all that close to NYC (about 2 1/2 hours)...but I've been to that Tower Records store. Long gone, however. Virgin has closed up shop in NYC too. /img/vbsmilies/htf/frown.gif
If you are into Blu-ray...make sure you get the BD of Krall's Rio concert. The rooftop session feature is incredible. I don't think it's on the DVD.
I love Oscar Peterson, Nat King Cole, Krall, Ella, Bill Evans, Sinatra and a ton of others. But I put Krall right up at the top of that list. She "gets it." Her musicianship is unbelievable.
OT: I'm optimistic these forum changes are going to work out all right for everyone.

carbuff

Auditioning
Real Name
Shepsan
I have joined this thread so very late because I just bought the Blu-ray disc of Live in Rio. I enjoyed the performance very much.

This Blu-ray disc is not a reference source for either audio or video quality. Neither factor is among the best available. Nevertheless, for sheer entertainment, it is hard to find a performer with such dazzling talent.
Diana Krall's Live in Rio voice performance shows that she has completed the transition from club singer to a mature Peggy Lee like style of unique breathiness and phrasing. Her piano gymnastics and caresses are magnificent artistry and bring new life to beautiful compositions.
As Mike noted it is obvious that the Rio performance lacks the same type of dynamic energy of earlier times. However, this is simply because Diana's laid-back bosa nova arrangements lulls rather than excites. This is not a fault but instead an explanation of fact.
Observing just how captivated and bonded her audience reacted, shows that Diana Krall knows her audience and fits her performance to them. This being so, she achieved complete adulation from those in Rio.

I might add that while viewing and listening to this Blu-ray in my entertainment room, I felt the same way as her live audience, mesmerized.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Better late than never, Shepsan! /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

Mesmerizing, indeed.

Love this disc. While I agree the visuals leave something to be desired (damn, they had it DARK in that room!) I thought the audio was pretty darn awesome. And not just because of the musicianship...but the quality, too.

I hope she has something new coming out soon. I would love her to go back to her Nat Cole material. I usually don't like tribute albums, but I'm thinking she could also pull off a kickin' Sinatra tribute--especially if it played to his swinging Billy May-era stuff.

carbuff

Auditioning
Real Name
Shepsan
Mike, I am one of the fortunate to have been in contact, worked with or have known some of the great entertainers of the Golden Age of the 1940's - 1990's. The compositions and performers of that period rank in my mind as the best there have ever been.

Diana Krall surely belongs with them not only because of her native talent but for the progressive music maturity she has developed over the years.

Her touch on the keyboard is stunning. Every note, delicate or vigorous makes "music" as it should be heard. Her stylistic vocals have a way of growing on a person. The actual timber or her voice becomes more than just pleasant as her manner of phrasing more and more delights the senses.

I also commend those artists who backup her. They are excellent musicians in their own rights and as such, provide her with a musical ambiance that best displays her virtuosity.

I am grateful to be able at this time of my life to buy, play and enjoy her audio and video recordings. I am sure that my departed associates would heartedly agree.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You sound like a fortunate individual indeed.

I believe Diana Krall is single-handedly keeping alive a form of American music that was in real danger of being lost (and, she's Canadian!). /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif I hope she maintains her commitment to the craft and continues her growth in the genre. She just keeps getting better and better. As I think I stated earlier in this thread (or possibly another), I wish she would keep to the smaller groups and stay away from the orchestral arrangements which, it seems, are becoming more prevalent in her recordings.

Her All For You album (Nat King Cole tunes) is my absolute favorite.

And, by the way, a belated welcome to the forum!
86a5e600_welcome.gif

carbuff

Auditioning
Real Name
Shepsan
Thank you for the welcome.

Diana could not have picked a finer artist than Nat Cole. He was a giant in his time.

I first saw him during the early years of WWII when his trio entertained between movies at the Orpheum Theater in Los Angles. Later during the Korean War, while I stationed at NAS Alameda, my wife and I saw him at the Fairmount Hotel in San Francisco. Later when he had his short-lived NBC show in Hollywood, I had the pleasure of watching him perform his shows from backstage.

One of the things I most remember about his effect on an audience is that when he was singing, the audience was completely hushed in a deep silence. No one wanted to miss a single glorious note.

Nat Cole had a huge fan base; those who bought his records and also a cadre of other musicians and singers who knew the quality of his talent.

I believe that Diana has many of Nat Cole's qualities. She also has a great advantage in that she has been tutored by a number of super mentors and is able to reach huge audiences not only by concert appearances but also by way of CD, DVD and Blu-ray discs.

Mike, I enjoy reading your comments. I find this forum is a marvelous way to keep abreast of the times and also to learn from members who participate with questions as well as answers.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If you watch some of the special features on her video discs, some of the interviews done with her backing musicians (such as John Clayton & Jeff Hamilton) really speak to that concept of mentoring you speak of.

They talk about her obvious raw talents and how they've seen her grow and how they are continually amazed at what she'll bring to a performance. I think one called her "wise beyond her years."

And she, in turn talks about what she picks up from the people she surrounds herself with. I was, frankly, disinterested with her Girl in the Other Room effort (I was beginning to think her union with Elvis Costello might not be a good thing her her musically). But she seems to be back on track (at least as far as my musical tastes are concerned).

If you check out another thread in this forum, you'll learn that a number of Cole albums have been re-mastered for high-definition SACD releases. It sounds like a lot of love has gone into this effort...and can be learned in THIS fabulous essay on the remastering process.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
While I don't share your views on The Girl in the Other Room (I'm quite found of my SACD of it and I enjoy her wandering off her usual track), I do enjoy her other work immensely. Gotta run, though, so more on her music from me later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks