What's new

New De-interlacer Scaler with Sil004 (1 Viewer)

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
A newcomer to the de-interlacing scaling market is Lumagen Inc of Portland OR. They offer two models, the Vision (USD 1000.) and the Vision Pro (USD 1900.). Both use the Silicon Image Sil004 de-interlacing chip (the latest iScan innards) together with Lumagen's own scaler that outputs anything from 480p to 1080p at anywhere from 48 to 75 FPS, plus 1080i. Output is Y/Pb/Pr, or RGB with your choice of sync.

I just bought the Vision and I think it will be a winner. There is a good thread of comments in the AVSforum .com Video Processors section.

It takes NTSC or PAL composite (nice 2d adaptive comb filter), S-video, and 480i/576i component video which it de-interlaces. There is also a pass through input for pre-existing progressive scan and HDTV signals without scaling or picture or aspect control to make it easier for all your sources to share the same input jacks of the TV.

It has quickly selectable 4:3, 16:9, and for non-anamorphic letterbox DVD's, zoom mode accomplished with its scaler. No graduated stretch modes, but I never use those. (Whether 4:3 is full and 16:9 is letterboxed, or 16:9 if full and 4:3 is sidebarred depends on how the device is tweaked.)

Quite useful for 800x600 and 1024x768 data projectors, or TV's with just 1080i display but inferior scaling of 480i and 480p sources, or playback of both NTSC and PAL on the same TV handling at least 576p.

Has a remote control to select input source and aspect ratio and also do tweaking via on screen display.

More:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/review4.htm

Jim Sutt

Auditioning
Hi, it sounds like you know alot about these video scalers. I have a question for you if you don't mind. I have a Sony projector and a video scaler. When I play a movie, I have multiple pictures. You mentioned the sync input. I think that is my problem. Could you please help? I know nothing about the scalers.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Usually if you get multiple pictures, it is because the TV (or projector) does not accept the scan rate ("resolution" in PC video terminology) that the scaler is delivering.

You will have to find out what scan rates your projector accepts, and set the scaler to output one of thenm.

If the projector has just the three jacks for component video, the sync. must be superimposed on the Y signal.

If the projector has a VGA 15 pin jack, or specific inputs for sync., it may or may not work correctly if you don't provide the sync. separate from the Y signal. There may be switch or menu selections to make the projector accept sync with the Y.

I do not know where to purchase the converter that takes the usual component video and outputs it with sync. on a fourth and fifth cable.

Jim Sutt

Auditioning
I appreciate all your help, but I am affraid I am still lost. If I have to use the sync what do I connect it to?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks