What's new

New Consumer Reports Ratings: Some Real Surprises! (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Sorry to resurrect this thread. Just wanted to tahnk the OP for all the info.

Arthur S, I am still on the fence but I narrowed it down to 2 models thanks to your info and feedback as well as that of other members here.

Now I am thinking maybe 37" :)

thanks again!

Alex/d

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex
TV speakers pretty much suck nowadays... the only DECENT speakers are in my 30" tube Samsung 1080i monitor... and they can be ate for lunch by a Bose Wave radio
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Rolando

Screenwriter
lol Alex,

Yeah pretty much NEED an amp with at least 5.1 on the main movie watching TV.

Won't be getting surround with this TV though, it will go in the living room and will be mostly for TV and SOME X-Box/Playstation.

Got the surround on the 65" RPTV only... for now :)

WayneFund

Auditioning
Real Name
Wayne Funderburgh
I would be interested in anything about the LCD Polaroid 37" Model FLM 373B. I ended up with one of these the other day just because of two things, price and picture quality.

Thanks

bigtyme1

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark
What can you tell about the Polaroid 50" Plasma HDTV (PLA-5048)? Circuit City has a great price on it this week.

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos

LG and Samsung are pushed heavily by retailers because they have the most profit margin of any TV on the sales floor. Better-known names like Sony and Panasonic have far less markup, added to the fact that retailers are beaten to death by customers over the prices of these marquees, which means little or no profit that has to recouped through sales of extended warranties and $150 Monster HDMI cables.

The Koreans manufacture very inexpensively and their products have low MSRPs compared to the Japanese. A customer will perceive the product as a good deal right away and will be less prone to haggle than he/she would with the comparable Sony that sells for $1,000 more.

My store sells LG and the owner loves the brand to death. I wonder why...

SethH

Senior HTF Member

Things certainly could have changed, but when I worked in electronics retail sales in 2000 Sony paid the highest commission in most categories including HDTVs; they were tied with Mitsubishi.

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos

What I meant by my last statement was that GENERALLY, the bigger brand names are easiest targets for haggling due to base MSRP and the fact that there's 10 other TV stores in town that will try to sell the same thing cheaper, which vastly reduces actual, obtainable margin in the end.

You are correct in that Sony and Mitsubishi have the highest initial markup, but that always assumes a sale at MSRP, which rarely happens on any TV. Incidentally, Sony and Mitsubishi do pay the best manufacturer spiffs over the holidays, assuming the store you work for allows employee participation in such programs. (oops, did I say that out loud?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks