What's new

New construction, pre-wired for 7.1 need help in picking speakers/receiver (1 Viewer)

rdeol

Auditioning
Real Name
Rav
Hi Guys,

I'm located in the Vancouver area and am building a new home with a designated home theatre room. I have already pre-wired the house for 7.1 surround sound and was wondering if someone can give me input on what kind of speakers I should pick up?

The budget is about $1200 and I need to get the speakers and amplifier in it. I have been to future shop but after researching they are just selling overpriced junk. Does anybody know a good website or store where I can purchase speakers for a good price? Anything I should be looking for? Projector's?

Thanks

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For that price, internet direct companies that have a good return policy. Since you are in Canada, that limits my knowledge of what is available. I think Energy, Axiom and Paradigm are Canadian. Someone be be along to correct me I'm sure.

Reciever - name brand that has an auto calibration system. I'm partial to Pioneer.

Projectors - I like Panasonic. I've had the AE900U for four years. They are now on the AE4000 model.

Don't forget used equipment. We have a for sale section here. I've bought and sold here since joining without any issues.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Speakers that sound good to you.

If you can't audition them before buying, look for reviews. Check out the specs. They should be able to play 80hz to 20,000hz + or - 3db. Ignore the power ratings unless they are some crazy small rating like 20w. If you find a few examples that meet your criteria but can't decide, pick the one with the highest sensitivity.

rdeol

Auditioning
Real Name
Rav
What do you think about these speakers?

I'm going to try to get an employee discount on these.
http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=BDL10002207&catid=24476

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Infinity has a very good reputation but I don't know anything about those particular speakers.

amacsteeze

Grip
Real Name
Alex MacDonald
Those are fairly basic speakers in the general sense, if you are planning on getting the "staff" discount.. I would strongly recommend the klipsch reference and icon series. Both are sold by future shop and best buy. Keep in mind that home audio speakers like those are marked up HUGE. I used to work at a best buy in Edmonton, and I know that any speaker I want would be roughly half the retail/sticker price.
Make sure you get a good chunk of money off if you're buying from them.

rdeol

Auditioning
Real Name
Rav
I'm sort of confused. I'm not sure what the difference would be for the tower speakers or the smaller speakers.

I was maybe thinking of these.
http://www.orbaudio.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=35

or the Orb Audio "People's Choice"

What do you guys think?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Small speakers make sacrifices in output, sound quality or both to fit that small form factor.

It is difficult to pick out speakers without having at least a few goals. When you go to buy a vehicle, what would you choose between - a Ford F-650 truck with a flat bed, a Ferrari or a Toyota mini-van? They are all very different but still motor vehicles. You wouldn't buy the Ferrari to carry around the wife and 4 kids. You wouldn't buy the mini-van as a work truck hauling wrecked cars. You wouldn't take the Ford out on the race track.

How large is your room? How loud do you listen to music/movies? Give us as much information about what you want out of your speakers and we can better make suggestions.

I found this in the Orb specs - Frequency Response 80Hz - 20,000Hz
(120Hz-18,000Hz optimal)

I like to crossover to my sub at 80hz. That isn't optimal with these speakers.

rdeol

Auditioning
Real Name
Rav
This room is 29' x 22'. It is an L shape. From the left of the beam will be a bar and such stuff. The projector screen will be on the North wall centered on the wall. The area of the theater will be 15'-6" by 20'. I don't want to spend more than $1200 on the speakers. I would like to have a good experience watching 1080p videos with surround sound. I want the sound to be good but not at a ferrari price. It will be used occasionally when the family and friends come into town. Everybody using it probably won't be able to distinguish the real difference in the quality. I like the reputation that Infinity has. Any other Idea's for the speakers? I don't mind getting them shipped to Seattle or closer to Vancouver.

Rec%20Room.JPG">

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm going to suggest these speakers based on reputation alone. I only have experience with their subs (not completed ones, just drivers) and they are excellent for the price.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/htpackage.php
Pick the 7.1 package.
Change surround speakers from the A6-6T6 model to the A3-5TC model and your system package will be $1,198.50 shipped in the lower 48. Use that $1.50 you have left over wisely.

If I were doing this, I'd stick with 5.1 and go with a larger sub. Same mains, center and surrounds (2 instead of 4) but pick the A5-350 sub. Now you are $83.50 over budget but with a room that large, you can't have too much sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks