New Coldplay DVD/CD

Discussion in 'Music' started by Matty P, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Matty P

Matty P Stunt Coordinator

Grabbed an early copy of the new Coldplay DVD/CD package last night...didn't sample the CD yet but wanted to check out the DVD concert...audio comes in Stereo, DD, and DTS, video has quite a bit of grain but is 16x9 enhanced...my main problem with the concert is the editing! Choppy as all hell, no shot seems to last more than 3-5 seconds...maybe I was just spoiled after watching the Springsteen live in NYC show the night before...random thoughts....

-Matt

2. Bill Leber

Bill Leber Stunt Coordinator

That's disappointing. I'm looking forward to picking up the DVD next week. Hopefully it's not as bad as the last Dave Matthews Band DVD (Folsom Field). The editing is so quick and choppy I get nausea.

3. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

I picked this up at KMart for $11.99 this morning. Its in a CD jewel case. Are any copies being sold in a DVD case?

Did everyone that bought this get a jewel case?

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    How do the 5.1 tracks sound?

5. John Torrez

John Torrez Second Unit

There's two versions of this Patrick. One in a CD case and the other in a DVD case. Content is exactly the same.

6. Patrick Larkin

Oh well. I got the CD case. Now, do I put it with my CDs or my DVDs?

By the way, excellent sound, excellent video, excellent performance. Surrounds are mostly limited to crowd noise on the 5.1 track - which is OK by me.

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Is this out already? I went to Futureshop's website and they have three different products that are "Coldplay Live 2003":

One in the DVD section for $24.99 (Release date Nov 4th):
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...=&newdeptid=13

A "Limited Edition" CD/DVD in the CD section for $24.99 (on sale from $31, release date Nov 11th):
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...=&newdeptid=16

A CD/DVD in the CD Section for $15.99 from $18.99:
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...=&newdeptid=16

Amazon.CA also has these three different products wtih similar prices.

Edit: An update.. i just went to futureshop, they did not have it in stock, neither one of the three... I also saw HMV, they advertised it as out on Nov11th. Even on the coldplay website its listed as November 11th. Hmm...

8. Patrick Larkin

Yes, its out. Like I said in the first post, I bought it for $11.99 at KMart (it was in their ad last week). A steal at 12 clams.

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Whoops, forgot to mention I'm in canada, no Kmarts, basically A&BSound, FutureShop, HMV. I guess ill have to wait till the 11th [​IMG]

EDIT: Well i guess the official release date (for canada at least) is Nov11th. Select theaters here are having a DVD pre-launch showing for the DVD November10th.

10. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

This is a brilliantly marketed CD/DVD.

The perception to the public is that the DVD has a "bonus" CD, the CD has a "bonus" DVD, while really it's one product in two packages to maximize their economies of scale.

I know people who buy tons of CDs, but would never buy a concert DVD and I also know people who never buy CD's (they just download their low-ass rez versions [​IMG] ), yet are total concert DVD geeks.

This is very cleverly done.

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

so how is the overall music quality? do they rock, do they sound horrible, is the recording decent, etc.

iow, is this worth getting???

note, i am quite the coldplay fan, but i've never been a huge fan of live albums....

12. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I haven't checked out the DVD, but had the CD playing last night at home and this afternoon in the car. I like Coldplay, and I really like live albums....But this one is decent, at best IMO. I definitely prefer the two studio albums by Coldplay over this one.

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

yeah, that's kinda what i was thinking too carl.

i heard a couple of cuts on the net and wasn't overly impressed. i did see them in concert here in sac and loved it, but that's not the same as listenin' to a cd in my car... [​IMG]

14. RobBenton

RobBenton Stunt Coordinator

Anywhere you can get their music vids on dvd?

15. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

Bought it, enjoyed it, liked one of the "new songs". Got it for cheap at Wally Mart.

16. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have a stupid question. [​IMG]

Amazon has the "CD" version for $20.99. They have the "DVD" version for $18.74. The content is exactly the same. Why would I buy the "CD" version?