What's new

New Castlevania Game in 2003!!!! (1 Viewer)

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
In almost any "Your Fav video Game" thread here I have expressed my undying love for "Castlevania: Symphony of the Night". It is simply the best game I've ever played and combined my two favorite elements, Metroid like exploration and powerups along with the Castlevanial line of theme. I play it everyday. Anyway, I was in Wal-mart last night and decided to read a few magazines. I believe it was PSM I was looking at. On the cover was a huge promo for Resident Evil Online. Anyway, flipping though I saw some things in the works for 2003 and low and behold there was a box shot of SOTN!!! We'll It was next to a line of questions and answers from one of the head game designers for SOTN!! He and a few others who were on the SOTN team are making a new Castlevania and he clearly states we will have it in 2003!! He then states it will be the best Castlevania from all in the series and it hints to prequel or sequel to SOTN!!!! I almost fell down. This is great news. I've always wanted a sequel to SOTN and not some GBA version. Any other Castlevania lovers out there??

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Scott_E said:
Any other Castlevania lovers out there??
raises hand
While I would prefer a 2D version with graphics a la Contra: Shattered Soldier, I wouldn't mind a 3D engine so long as it's a good one.
Besides, the main reason why SOTN was such a great thing was not only placing Castlevania in a "Metroid" context, but there was actually a great story line too (as opposed to the stagnating "every 100 years.....").

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Any other Castlevania lovers out there??
Scott, come on. You knew you were gonna get at least one post in here:D.(Kelley will no doubt mosey his way here as well, as he was dubbed Kelley Belmont a while ago.)
Any and all Castlevania is up for consumption at my house. Like Dome stated above I would prefer something along the lines of COntra SS (2D in 3D) though I would would keep my mind open if they decide to take another stab at 3D (especially with some of the great advances Capcom made with Devil May Cry in that regard).
With that said, even past the Contra SS comparison what I would really love to see if the mother of all Castlevania 2D games. I want to be able to play as multiple characters just as Castlevania 3 allowed me to but with an expanded RPG element ala SOTN and an expanded roster (maybe up to 5 characters?) . Even allow me to switch between the "main" character and an alter ego ala part 3 for some added variety (I hesitate for the game to let you switch between all characters at a time as I feel the game may lose its focus, just my personal opinion).
I would love to see the graphics style move closer to the anime renditions of the actual drawn characters. I would give my left arm to see the graphics at this level:

Example 2
Example 3
Now dont misunderstand, though Guilty Gear X2 is a marvel of character design IMO, it doesn't quite jive with what we have in our minds for Castlevania. My intention is squarely for that level of 2D design work and a even half of the animation be used to create this:
Drool at the possibilites
and this:
Even more to look at
Of course putting the work into creating such intricate animations for a fighting game is a completely different monster than doing so in an adventure title, especially when taking into consideration the amount of enemy animation that needs to be created but I'm dreaming here:).
Each character would play his own part in the overall story (yep 100 years have passed and theres that damned castle again!). An expanded magic system much like the way Circle and Harmony experimented with would be great to see implemented. Perhaps even create "chain" maneuvers that you and the rest of your alter ego can learn that bring some serious destruction to the forces of Dracula.
I really do enjoy the "Metroid" structure of the games and I'd like for them to keep that intact**. Overall the main ingredients need to be there, platforming, the whip:D, boss battles that no game can match. I await Konami's showing of its new Castlevania with the anticipation of a 16 year old who is about to have sex for the first time. (Yes that is exreme but I am about the biggest Castlevania freak you will ever meet in your life time!).
**Truth be told the structure used in Castlevania is more Metroid influenced than anything else. The original Castlevania game Vampire Killer ('86) on the MSX used a similiar structure, though much more quaint then what we see in games like Metroid Fusion and Harmony of Dissonance. There were even merchants and such and of course we can't forget Castlevania 2 for the beloved NES;).

JasonK

Supporting Actor
I would love to see a new 2D Castlevania as well. The GBA games were great, but it would be great to play a new one on PS2/XBOX/GCN.

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator
I would kill for a 2D, hand-drawn, Castlevania!

The only problem is that the amount of RAM required (as well as amount of work) would be staggering. Drawing a game like SOTN at 640x480 with animation approaching even GGX/XX on most characters (which doesn't even have animation that can match SF3) would be a daunting, nigh-impossible task, (at least on PS2) without very frequent loading--there's a reason we haven't seen Metal Slug 3 on a console other than the Neo Geo, even though there's been word of one for ages.

But oh can I dream!

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Of course putting the work into creating such intricate animations for a fighting game is a completely different monster than doing so in an adventure title, especially when taking into consideration the amount of enemy animation that needs to be created but I'm dreaming here

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Where's my whip? There some vampires I have to kill. Honestly I'd settle for a port of Rondo of Blood at this point, mostly just so I can have it in english. A sequel to SOTN would be good as would a prequel as would anything with the name Castlevania on it right about now.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Romier, the thought of a Castlevania along those lines sounds really great. Being the crazed fan that I am, I have nearly impossible expectations for the 'perfect' Castlevania game, complete with extras that include:
* Fully playable, graphics enhanced versions of Castlevania 1, 2, and 3. Can only be unlocked by passing certain objectives in the castle.
* Full hi-resolution artwork galleries, complete with early designs circa 1980's for the original games, box cover art, illustrations a la Soul Caliber or Gunbird 2 quality. Can be unlocked by whipping certain paintings hanging in the castle.
* Up to 5 different characters, each with their own set of objectives, and dare I say it, time frame. Visit Dracula's castle in its heyday where it takes on a more RPG element, or in a modern decayed form, where the battle elments come to the forefront.
* Music performed by a symphony orchestra, as opposed to midi.
and much much more...
Of course, that is all pipe dreaming on my part. I'll be happy when the GBA's super peripheral allows for COTM and HoD to be played on a television with a brightness option.
~joseph

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
Romier I knew I'd find some Castlevania Clan members to throw up hands in here :D Anyway, I am praying every night that the game will have either sprite based or hand drawn backgrounds and characters. Either that or they render the hell out of everything. I mean EVERYTHING, render specks of dust. Regardless, I'm pleased that you got so in depth in what you wished to see in the game as I thought I was the only one who had ideas such as what you posted. I'm glad I'm not the only one who spends some of his free time thinking about how he could make his favorite game better.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Will this be PS2 only, or is there a chance it'll be on the Cube? Does Konami make games for the Cube?

I'd like to see a Castlevania game using a similar engine/play style to Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project. Basically, a true 3D engine with mostly side-scrolling play.

Further, I'd like to see Konami take the same engine and make a new Sunset Riders. That'll never happen, but that remains one of my all-time favorites.

Eric C. Mylonas

Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't hold my breath for a Cube rev, but Konami does make GameCube games such as Yu-Gi-Oh and Winning Eleven (among others).

John Chow

Second Unit
Just an fyi for all those who may be unaware, it appears that the original SOTN has hit the Greatest hits line ala FF:Tactics. I happened to see a couple at Costco the last time I was there. I assume this one works properly on the PS2? I seem to recall way back when hearing that it may have had issues, but I think that may have been only with the disc acceleration feature enabled.

Scott_E

Stunt Coordinator
In the interview, there were no statements directing which console it would appear on, his words were "At this time there is no announcement as to the console it will appear on, or if it will be multi-platform." Or something like that. But he DID say CONSOLE and not handheld. I hoping for all its worth it will not be another GBA game.

Jon W H

Stunt Coordinator
I'd drool all over myself if they make a hybrid of Castlevania IV (with the rotating rooms/platforms) and SOTN for the XBox.

Oh man, oh man. Yes, indeedy, that would be sweet.

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
I also love the Castevania franchise. My personal favorite was the version for NES which came out in 1987. What a great game that was.
Too bad the n64 version was really weak.
Have any of you out there tried "Maximo-Ghosts To Glory"
Its the closest thing to a Castlevania type game I've ever played. It's a 3-D player, for PS2 and it just went down to $19.99 at Best Buy.
Pick it up or at least rent it- dare i say it's even better than Castlevania these days...........

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks