What's new

New Cabinet Construction - Opinions Requested (1 Viewer)

As part of my remodel and move to a new theater room, I am having a professional cabinet builder construct a new theater cabinet for me. I'm wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom for me in regards to the cabinet design, such as do's and dont's, or regrets when building their own. I have quite a few pieces (about 13) that need to be accomodated, though many can be behind doors since they're very rarely used:

Onkyo receiver
HD cable box
Tivo with standard cable box
DVD player
Audio Authority signal switchbox (can be hidden)
DirecTV box
Sony 400 CD changer
VHS VCR
8MM VCR
SVHS VCR
JVC cassette deck
JVC cassette deck
Old technics record player

I have 2 tower front speakers, a center, a sub for the front. Should the speakers be put inside the cabinet with fabric grilles in front, or do most people tend to leave the speakers outside of the cabinet?

I want to be sure that there are adequate cable pathways for everything, and more importantly, room to move components around in their areas for easy hookup, as well
as plenty of power outlets. Any ideas?

Other thoughts: glass doors or regular? How have tv size issues been tackled (i.e. what if the next set is larger or smaller than the current one? - how do you build for future adjustment?)

Any ideas would really really be appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Greg_TSL

Stunt Coordinator
I wanted to note, I had a large cabinet built that held my TV in between 2 prefabbed cabinets. I needed my sub to sit under the TV and in a large cavity with 2 large hollow areas on either side.
The result was as I expected....unuseable, ultra-boomy bass response. My solution...I filled the cavities with unopened, 80 lb bags of concrete, and braced the back of the cabinet so they would't slide out. The cabinet now weighs in at a hefty 700+ pounds, but man the bass is tight :)

Here's a link to my portfolio...if you hit the "View Portfolio" link you can see the plan and a photo of it. I think its titled furniture design.

(BTW if you need visualization of your cabinet, let me know, I do that for a living)

Good luck with your endeavor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks