What's new

new Bose headphones (1 Viewer)

David Walker

Agent
I know Bose has a bad reputation, but has anyone auditioned their new headphones? They had them hooked up to a decent Onkyo stereo receiver at Fry's, and they actually sounded pretty darn good. Any other opinions?

David

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't tried them, but I'm a bit skeptical of the pricetag ($300, the last I checked). I've been shopping for headphones and have found that a lot of over-the-ear phones sound very, very good -- certainly better than any speaker set I can afford. Where I have trouble is discerning any phones over $100 from anything more expensive, so I personally won't spend $300. But that's just me.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I have to admit I actually own a pair of the noise-canceling headphones.

It was highly recommended by a member here who travels on airplanes a lot. I had a family member heading for Europe so I bought a set for her so she could sleep during the flights.

I have used the headphones with my boom-box at work and they are outstanding with/without music. I loaned them to a co-worker for a bit and I actually saw him jump when someone came up behind him while he was wearing them and he did not hear them.

So in the interest of removing external noise so you can focus on the music, they are very good.

The cord is a bit short however.

Jonathan K

Stunt Coordinator
There are many FAR better noise cancelling headphones out there than the Bose QuietComforts... and there are many FAR better closed headphones than the Bose Triports (which are the QC's minus the active noise cancelling technology)... If you say what your needs will be, what equipment you will use them with, where, under what conditions, what country you are in, and your budget, I (or the friendly people at www.head-fi.org) can usually give you good advice.. :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’d just compare several (bring some of your own CDs) and decide. Pick what best suits your listening preferences. And it’s not all about the music, as some find some headphones uncomfortable, while others find the same headphones very comfortable.

I own Sennheiser’s and find them very fine indeed. YMMV.

AntonS

Stunt Coordinator
I had a chance to compare the Bose noise-canceling headphones with some Sennheiser (don't remember the model, is was bought for around $100) and old Sony MDR-600. The noise cancellation in Bose works well, but soundwise I found them to be pretty crappy. Both Sony and Sennheiser were better.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I listened to the Bose TriPort headphones which retail/sell for $149.99. I didn't like them because the sound was dull and lifeless. I have a pair of $29.99 Panasonic home theater headphones that probably sound better than the TriPorts did. Heck, even when I tested the Grado SR-60s which sell for $69.00, I felt the Grado headphones blew everything away that I've listened to so far. The only downside to the Grado SR-60 headphones is that they're open air headphones. If you intend to buy them and crank them up, be prepared to disturb those sitting next to you. Actually, there is a 2nd downside to the Grado headphones - I have a pair wrapped up under the Christmas tree that I won't be able to use for 2 more weeks.

I don't like to bash Bose just for the sake of bashing them. I will always give their gear some objective listening time, before commenting on them. At $149.99, lots of consumers are going to get ripped off if they purchase the TriPort headphones.

Jonathan K

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, if you want good passive noise cancelling, try the Sennheiser HD280 Pro for $85. Then tell me how good any of the Bose headphones or the Sony V600's are...

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Just an FYI, I just purchased Sennheiser's HD497's. They are open-aire. When I put them on, I can easily here things behind me.
However, I was listening to them at low volume the night I purchased them and my brother was able to come up right behind me [startled me!]. IE: No noise comes in during playback (but that's probably universal with any headphone). Also, I took them off during high-level playback and could hear almost nothing at one foot away. :emoji_thumbsup:
:star: :star: :star: :star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks