What's new

New Blu-ray titles: Kingdom of Heaven 1st 50 gb dual layer (1 Viewer)

Jeff(R)

Second Unit
Here's some release news I just found while searching the web that I haven't seen posted yet related to the IFA Berlin show. The information at the following site is from Variety (I checked variety.com also but the original article there requires a subscription).

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option...=256&Itemid=38

Fox: Ice Age: The Meltdown will be released Nov. 21.
Another Fox title, Kingdom of Heaven director's cut, will be the first dual layer 50 gb title and it will be released on Nov. 14 in the U.S.

MGM: Rocky, Bulletproof Monk on Dec. 5. The Usual Suspects and Windtalkers on Nov. 28.

Jeff

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

Can't see it happening until there's a definite indication that Sony's going to have BD-50 discs in fullscale production by then. Not to mention even if they do, to pick the movie KOH?? Personally I thought the movie just sucked. Orlando Blooms acting was a joke.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Will KOH include all the extras from the 4 disc SD-DVD set? Even on a dual layer Blu-rry disc, I doubt they'll be able to fit the extended cut of the film along with lossless audio and not have to drop at least some of the extras. Unless they make it a 2-disc set.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Then there's the issue of current BD players being unable to play dual-layer Blu-ray discs.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Some Fox titles are using AVC (or MPEG-4) compression so I would think they would be able to squeeze it all into 50Gb.

source

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey Folks,

I want to share some of the insider information on the 50 gig issue according to Bill at the digital bits as well as what's been shared in private to myself and others at AVS...

It seems that while BD 50 replication still has a way to go to reach prime-time production yields, the manufacturing is ready for some limited release even now. The real hold up (as indicated by some posts here) has been that without any 50gig ROM software available until now, the hardware manufacturers haven't had a chance to work out 50 gig compatibility/playback issues until just recently.

Pioneer, Sony, and others with yet-to-be-released players are moving along just fine and will be releasing players that provide full 50 gig playback right off the bat. However, the Samsung player on the market may have problems with some 50 gig discs. HOWEVER, these issues should be fully addressed via firmware updates, so they shouldn't present a problem for any current owners. Samsung expects to have the firmware updates for 50 gig interoperability ready by the time 50gig software is ready for release.

Naturally, we'll have to wait and see the timing of how all these issues play out as they evolve, but according to industry sources things are expected to work out well.

Those are all the details I can share and I can't discuss any specific sources. However, Bill Hunt at the bits has posted some good comments and when I asked some industry folks about these topics at AVS they all confirmed what he was saying.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
A BD50 title is announced at last, which is what I've been waiting to hear, but the extra space seems to be used for the extra long running time, instead of extra bandwidth/bitrate, etc. I'll only be really impressed if the typical BR title uses 50 gb, not 20% or less as indicated by a BR insider on AVS.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The typical BD this fall won't look like the typical BD next fall which won't look like the typical BD in 3 years.

Think of how much evolution DVD went through regarding dual-layer cost and availability and use over the first 3 years of that format's life. We went from single-layer and flippers to OTP dual-layer being standard for almost every feature film today.

Amir at AVS would have us belive that AVC employs high-pass filtering which will soften detail. We'll have to wait and see... hopefully the codec can be manipulated to produce VC-1 quality results when in the hands of a studio that wants to optimize picture quality.

MarekM

Supporting Actor
DaVid,

thanx for very interesting and promissing info !!
can't wait to see those 50gb titles...

Marek

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Firmware update disc can be requested from Samsung on their website when owners register their player. There is, however, no date listed for the firmware release. I would suggest that owners of the Samsung player get their request in at the Samsung web site.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter

The film is HD eye candy and the long version makes a lot more sense. And Mr. Bloom's acting.... subjective and irrelevant. This film is prime HD beef. Look at the Apple trailer...

Jeff(R)

Second Unit
Some disc details (not sure if these are complete yet) Looks like 5 titles will have DTS Master Audio:

http://dvd.themanroom.com/dvd-newsview.php?id=272

"Be sure to check back often as we've already begun working on procuring cover art and full disc specs for each of these titles."

Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut)

releaseNovember 14, 2006
audioDTS-HD
videoWidescreen 2.35:1
1080p (HDMV BD-50)
discs1
publisherTwentieth Century Fox

Behind Enemy Lines

releaseNovember 14, 2006
audioDTS-HD
1080p (MPEG-4)
discs1

disc features

* Commentaries by Director John Moore, Editor Martin Smith, and Producers John Davis and Wyck Godfrey
* Selectable HD trailers of upcoming BD releases

Fantastic Four

releaseNovember 14, 2006
audioDTS-HD
1080p (HDMV)
discs1

disc features

* Commentary by Ioan Gruffud, Jessica Alba, Chris Evans, Michael Chiklis and Julian McMahon

Kiss of the Dragon

releaseNovember 14, 2006
audioDTS-HD
1080p (HDMV)
discs1

disc features

* Commentary by Chris Nash, Bridget Fonda, and Jet Li

The Omen (2006)

releaseNovember 14, 2006
audioDTS-HD Master Audio
videoWidescreen 1.85:1
1080p
discs1

disc features

* Commentary by John Moore, Glenn Williamson and Dan Zimmerman
* Two featurettes
* Two extended scenes
* BD-exclusive animated pop- up trivia track entitled “The Devil’s Footnotes,” which explores the history of the triple sixes (666).

The League of Extraordinary Gentleman

releaseNovember 14, 2006
audioDTS-HD Master Audio
1080p (MPEG-4)
discs1

disc features

* Commentary by the cast and crew
* Unique search index which allows the viewer to sort scenes from the movie into 72 categories ranging from actor (e.g., Shane West, Sean Connery) to character (e.g., Allan Quarterman, Agent Tom Sawyer) to locations (e.g., Paris, Venice), among others
* Interactive first person shooter game boasting 12 unique play modes
* Up to 99 bookmarks
* Animated pop-up trivia track
* HD trailers of upcoming BD releases

________

Speed

releaseNovember 14, 2006
audioDTS-HD Master Audio
1080p (MPEG-4)
discs1

disc features

* Commentary tracks and commentary chapter selections by Jan De Bont, Graham Yost, and Mark Gordon
* Animated pop- up trivia track
* Up to 99 bookmarks, a 56-category search index
* Java game entitled, Speed: Take Down, touting six game play modes
* HD trailers for upcoming BD releases

The Transporter

releaseNovember 14, 2006
audioDTS-HD Master Audio
1080p
discs1

disc features

* Commentary by Actor Jason Statham and Producer Steven Chasman

Ice Age: The Meltdown

releaseNovember 21, 2006
audioDTS-HD Master Audio
videoWidescreen 1.85:1
1080p
discs1

disc features

* Never-before-seen CGI short “No Time For Nuts” – created exclusively for the DVD and BD releases -featuring more antics by the nut-obsessed breakout character “Scrat,” voiced by ICE AGE director Chris Wedge
* Director’s commentary
* “Crash and Eddie” Stunts – three CGI short shorts
* The Animation Director’s Chair
* Lost Historical Films on the Ice Age Period
* “Scrat’s Piranha Smackdown” Sound Effects Lab
* “Crash And Eddie” Blooper
* Much more
________

The Usual Suspects

releaseNovember 28, 2006
audio
video
discs1
publisherMGM - Fox

Windtalkers

releaseNovember 28, 2006
audio
video
discs1
publisherMGM - Fox

Rocky

releaseDecember 05, 2006
audio
video
discs1

Bulletproof Monk

releaseDecember 05, 2006
audio
video
discs1

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
pop out a few low yield, lower demand Bd50 titles to string along the faithful until the PS3 ownership reaches a critical mass, and then the 'imperative' need for them goes away. Then they can persue nailing them down at their leisure- which could take several more years- or never reach beyond a few heavily subsidized token releases each year.

while the later is conjecture, the former is what some of us have been predicting in how this would play out, ever since the underwhelming soft launch in June.

The only real surprise I see here, is that it will be Fox with one of the first 'novelty' Bd 50s.

PeterTHX

Senior HTF Member
Hmm.
In the Fox thread "Fox BD in Q4", reaction was less than kind for saying DTS-MA would be on the first Fox releases...
Let's examine what was said about BD-50, with some here saying it would NEVER happen, certainly not THIS year after all, and reaction to me when I said it would...

Or BDs with advanced codecs...

Will I get an apology? Unlikely :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks