New Blu Ray player and TV and can't get 24fps.....help!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by tacio25, Feb 13, 2013.

1. tacio25

tacio25 Auditioning

I have a new Samsung smart Blu ray player BD-E5700 which is set up to 24 fps and my tv, Mitsubishi 65" DLP TV WD-65737 series (1080p, 120hz), is setup as well. They are connected via hdmi, but I can't get that smooth look you see in video stores such as Frys and Best Buy. The picture is great, but not that fake almost camcorder look that I want to see. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Have you tried the "smooth 120hz" setting (found under "Global" in the menu)?

3. tacio25

tacio25 Auditioning

Yes that's already set. :(

4. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale
    I just did some searching in the owners' thread over at AVS Forums. It appears that no one really knows what the Smooth120 feature actually does. I do know that DLP TVs do not have the motion blur issues that LCD TV are susceptible to, so it's likely this is a much different technology from the frame insertion technology used on 120Hz LCD sets. It also appears it has nothing to do with 24Hz performance or 5:5 pulldown. Here's a link to the thread, in case you want to check it out or ask your question there: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1142582/2009-mitsubishi-owners-thread-c9-737-837

5. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    You WANT to see the "fake, almost camcorder" look? Why? I don't understand. If so, you bought the wrong tv! The reason people buy DLP tvs is to get the more film-like picture, instead of the video camcorder picture you get from the other tvs. Just curious.........

6. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I think that "smooth" look is not 24 fps. 24 fps mode will look more like film. You're looking for the 120 Hz interpolated video that looks like "video" TV.