What's new

New Battlestar Galactica series..Any news of a dvd release? (1 Viewer)

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Listen everyone is basing my statement on the series as a whole. I love Firefly. Joss Whedon has a better grip on styorytelling and putting some dimension depth to all his characters than what's being done with the new BG series. For the record, I never said that the new BG series was all bad.

Obviously, everyone's concentrating on the faults that I commented on this series instead of commenting on the positive series. I'm starting to think that this topic is only about gratifying the new BG to Godhood over all television programs and everyone seems content on slamming anything that can be construed as negative.

It's obvious that I have indeed watched the first season since I did buy the first season from the Columbia House DVD Club. While this may seem a little off-topic and I apologize to anyone who might be offended but it seems like anyone who posts anything negative about the series is attacked and pounded.

Battlestar Galactica Season 1 has faults and I outlined some of these faults in my posts. I'm allowed my viewpoint and it's not anyone's place to say I'm wrong. I also said that the first season if entertaining to watch as an original series.

Sure, I'm a fan of the original series but I'm not rabid for it. I've enjoyed the new series as well for what it is, a fresh and updated version of an old classic. But, as I stated, it does have its faults.

By the way, I stated my opinions based solely only on the Season 1 episodes that I've watched as I haven't seen Season 2 yet.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

I don't think that matters. You've seen enough to make a judgment. Season two does not refine or reinvent the series. I don't believe it needs to, but if you wish it would, I think you'll be disappointed.

Here's my position: I enjoyed the original series immensely when I was a child and still like it now, but it wasn't my passion like it was for some of the diehards who were opposed to the new version. I sympathized with them, though, and agreed with them in many respects, though I no longer agree with the majority of their criticisms. I think a lot of people got sick of their opposition, so they started piling on against the original version largely just to push their buttons. That kept me away. I think you have to respect the original version, because there would be no new version without it. But, I realized it was silly to worry about what people were saying about this version or that version, so I tried the new one myself and really enjoyed it. The only thing I really miss is the original cylons. I thought we might see one from time to time, since Six mentioned in the very opening scene of the miniseries that they were still used for certain purposes. I don't mind the new version, and they are certainly more fearsome, but I wish we could be thrown an original cylon bone. Also, I'm not sure why they even included Boxey. Maybe they had plans for him that got scrapped. Anyway, I think the new one succeeds in a lot of ways the old one could not because of the differences between TV in the '70s and now. Serialization was not very common back then outside of the soaps, and it was a little too early for "dark and gritty." Each version is a product of its time, and I'm glad to have them both.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Question about Dualla Isn't she a cylon? I was telling my neighbor that she was but can't remember what ep showed one of her clones. Was it in the mini-series or am I loosing my mind?

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Greg, you hit on the same points I've been trying to make. I enjoyed the original series and was sad to hear that certain elements were changed for the new series and I loved the concept when I finally the mini series as I got to enjoy it for the first time on DVD. While I remain faithful to the original series I did thoroughly enjoy the new series as well. I looked at the new series as a continuation of the original series. I have already ordered Season 2 and I'm just waiting for the arrival of that DVD set. I'm not looking to justify reasons for keeping the sets ...

The only thing I said, and everyone took offense at the fact that I pointed out some concerns regarding some of the characters that were created just for this new series. The acting of Laura Roslyn, Billy and some of the new characters just don't seem to be strong. While the characters could have possibly been a force to be reckoned with maybe the criticisms of the actrors and actresses were a little harsh but I just felt their acting for those characters weren't that strong.

Since my only basis for that opinion comes from the Season 1 episodes that I've watched, everyone unfairly assaulted my comments and opinions. After watching Season 2, my opinioons regarding these characters could very well change but I'm not letting that deter me from watching the second season.

I've watched a lot of hard science fiction and other related shows and sure, this new series beats out such shows as Voyager, Deep Space Nine, Crusade and some others but as with every series I just pointed out that there were some weaknesses with some of the supporting characters for this series.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Without getting into spoiler territory... I'm only watching this show on DVD as I have no access to The Sci-Fi Channel right now:

Based on the previous DVD sets, are there any assumptions as to when Universal will have Season 2.5 on DVD with the Pegasus cliff-hanger episode director's cut?

One thing I kept hearing on the podcast commentary tracks was Moore bemoaning the fact that he and the rest of the writers have so little time with the current hugh commercial chunks in which to tell their stories fully (he kept saying a little over 30 minutes an episode!).

My comment/question that pops up is this (and you could apply this to other shows on commercial TV too): why not write the show as a solid hour or more of actual story telling and create it for the DVD and HD discs in mind? You get a "theatrical" chopped cut on TV and the fleshed out director approved (original) cut on DVD and HD disc (hopefully Blu-Ray directly ported from the 1080p/24 digital HD video masters). You don't have the time constraints and you certainly don't have the commercial interuptions (shhh... don't give the studios any ideas!). You can easily pay for the extra footage and F/X with the boxed set sales (as you can tell from this series they do make extra completed F/X only to have them cut due to time, so that may not be a real problem).

This boggles the mind why TV execs. don't start doing this and thinking outside the box!

Dan

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
:eek: Mary McDonald's performance hase been wonderful, IMO, and her character's relationship with Adama is one of the strongest parts of the series.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey

This was the most surprising criticism you made. I don't agree with criticizing the show for not having enough action in it, especially when the stories and characters are compelling enough. I also found Mary McDonnell to be one of the best things about the series -( I see her as the Jed Bartlett of BSG :) ).

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
you guys are pretty funny. just lighten up, it's not like God's going to punish us all for our opinions.

while her acting in the mini series was pretty strong, I just found the strength of her character waning in the standard S1 episodes. at any rate, here's for season 2.:D

Oh, and Dave? Pretty Hilarious.:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I was able to wake up in time to watch the last 30 minutes of the Season 2 finale, my first broadcasted episode. Not bad. MM's acting seems to have improved and what's up with Adama's mustache? He trying to get the machismo thing going?

... heh heh ...

Starbuck has long blonde hair now? Typical blonde thing and Apollo's acting is getting better.

Don't lambast me, this is the first time I've seen a Season 2 episode and only part of it.:D

I half expected to see the Cylons attacking the Galactica leaving the ship on fire as the Second Season closes, giving a huge cliffhanger. This years cliffhanger seems mild considering that last years cliffhanger was a real eye-catcher with Adama being shot and not knowing if he was dead or alive.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Actually, quite incorrect. This forum is specifically for TV Show discussion. While the topic title does have DVD in the title, the Mod do allow some off topic comments as long as it doesnt converge too far off-topic.:D

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Problem is a lot of people here may not have seen the finale to Season 2 (ME!!!) and are waiting for the DVD. I would like to be able to discuss the series on DVD so far without accidentally reading comments about what is going to happen in the show which has been on TV. Its why we have 2 threads - one in the TV section which is for the series on TV and one for the DVD section which is for the DVD release so far. For the sake of others who may not have read your comments please delete your last comments (or at the very least put them in spoilers)!!!!!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The TV-series on TV, and not on DVD yet, can be discussed in the TV and HDTV Programming Forum.

This area is specifically meant for TV Shows and TV films on a software medium (LD, DVD, VHS).

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks