What's new

New Battery Time (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
The stock Nissan battery is having cranking problems when the engine is cold and is just getting worse. So is there any reason to spend about $30 more on the wacky looking Optima batteries that seem to be so popular with the car audio crowd? From what I researched the yellow tops can be fully drained and then brought back to ful charge with no degradation of the cells. All I have is 2 amps, (1) 12" sub with a total of about 1050 wrms.

I'm also looking at Interstate and Die Hard Gold.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Are you running the stereo with the engine off?If not given my limited knowledge or cars, I'd say no, it's not worth it. The battery is only being drawn on when the car is being started. Once the engine is running the alternator is what is producing the current. Many Japanese cars (specifically Hondas) have fairly weak alternators, which sometimes makes stereo installs a bit iffy. I'd say a capacitor is more what you're looking for.

The battery is used when the alternator can't keep up with the current draw or if the alternator is off.

If you didn't have problems before with dimming lights, etc. then I would say just stick with the less expensive battery.

A Capacitor is used when there is a large drain for a very short period of time like when your bass hits (it is not for a continuous drain on your system if there is too much attached for you alternator to handle).

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Ok, now it's really getting bad. I've decided to just grab those cheap looking brands at Wallymart. $58 for Everstart MAXX which is the best they offer, 950cca and 1yr warranty.

scott>sau

Stunt Coordinator
If you replaced your car battery with an Optima ( I would and I do use Optimas in both our cars), use a red top as they are starter batteries. A yellow top, being a deep cycle battery is good as a second battery with an isolator and a high output, or dual-output high-output alternator (for those Alma Gates 170 dB IASCA systems). Optimas start very well here in Colorado, great CCA and great warranties. Always use a stiffening capacitor.

Mark gas

Second Unit
Stiffening capacitor are pointless and only cause more of a problem. If the alt cannot provide enough power for you car and system the cap will cause more strain. Caps only last for a few secs at the most and then they run out of power they hit the alt up for more power causing more strain. First thing to do is to change the 3 wires from the alt to batt alt to ground and batt to ground to a larger gauge wire like 4 gauge. Also if you’re alt can't keep up adding more or bigger batts will not help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks