What's new

New Austin Thread (1 Viewer)

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Greg,

Sounds like a great video testing ground. Who will be providing screens? I'd love to see some comparitive screen materials. I have two extra PLAS-TEX sheets I could bring, as well as some black-out material (not yet fitted to a frame though).

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Nihls -
That's a lot of projector experience! I absolutely HAVE to chat with you in person at some point. So the LS110 took the gold eh? What'd you think of the Sanyo XP21 and the Panny AE100? My budget for the projector is 2-5k, and I haven't decided how much I want to spend within that range. Ideally the proj should last me 4~5 yrs until I buy a house and get a dedicated theater, til then I'll be in an apt. Anyway, I would really like to chat with you sometime, unfortunately the 11th is smack dab in between my microprocessor interfacing and DSP final exams :frowning: Oh well maybe I'll show up anyway :)
Mark

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Methinks we now have a resident projector expert;) Thanks for your insight, Nils! Colin Dunn is in the market for a screen and was considering that plastic sheet material. I offered to help him build a frame for it. You might want to contact him. Greg, it seems you've got a nice location for the projector shootout. I think we have a plan. Jonathan has sent me instructions for a basic wall treatment panel that works from 150 Hz to over 4000 Hz. Who's in for building some? They'll be inexpensive.

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
I want to learn how to build some DIY room treatments, but actually my current set-up has really good room acoustics. Carpet, furniture, stone fireplace and lots of shelving with books so I don't have to many plain bare surfaces. But definately wnat to learn the process for the future.
Ok now my update.
I am a pig in heaven right now. Brian came over yesterday with a couple amps, a couple power cords, a couple interconnects, and a couple of tweaks and we sat and did comparison listenings to all the different levels of tweaking. Had a great time and I am very familiar with Patricia Barber's Nardis number. I think we listened to that 8 minute long song 10 times straight.
The best thing is I still have all of that stuff, until next week when he will swing by at some point to pick it up. My system is really singing right now. Meridian transport and Theta Dac on Walker Valid Points. Tara Labs Ref. RSC IC's and Prism PC's. Air Tight ATM-2 (outstanding piece) or Rogue Magnum 88. Then my usual Analysis Plus Oval 9 bi wires feeding my JM Reynaud Offrandes. I think when he comes to pick the Air Tight up I am going to cry, I stayed up till 3am last night which meant I had been listening to music basically for 12 hours straight.
Hence I would like to extend an invitation to those few who have been contributing to this thread the past day or so. That would be Fredrick, Hank, Greg, Nils, and Mark. If you guys are interested in coming by on Saturday around say 1pm let me know. Send me an email if you would like to come listen. My email is [email protected], and that way I can send out directions to you guys through a reply. Basically we can just have a day to listen to some good tunes on an esoteric system, and you guys can tell me what you think.
I got to go listen to some more music now.:b

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Hank,

I'd love to hear more about this wall treatment you spoke of. I am toying with the idea of putting up some accoustical treatment, but as I will soon be having a cute little "rug rat" roaming around the game room/HT room, I didn't want to put anything up that could be torn, or damaged easily. Please let me know more about your design.

Scott,

I'd love to join you all on Saturday, but I promised my wife to take her to Houston for the annual Art Car "Orange Show" festival this weekend. It does sound like a wonderful set-up and I'll look forward to reading about the good time you all had.

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Well guys bad news. The community center is booked May 11.

I have to book weekends a couple months in advance. But I may be able to have it over here at my house. My room is not to big but it is a didecated theater so there is no furniture to move if we wanted to setup a table and swap projectors out. Let me butter up the wife (anyone got some spare diamonds?) but it should be alright.

I used to have some bare off-white walls but as I type the wife is painting them a nice dark shade of yellow.

I will try to post some pics of the theater in a day or two.

Scott thanks for the offer but I have a little league game to coach Sat. at noon. I really wanted to hear those speakers after following your quest for them.

Greg

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Wow ... a lot has happened in this thread since the last time I checked it. Work is kicking my butt and keeping me from spending a lot of time organizing this meet.

I'm particularly interested in the DIY acoustic treatment and projector/screen shootout ideas being proposed. Whoever eventually ends up hosting those things, I plan on being there...

So is it May 11???

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Hank is hosting on May 11th the DIY Room Treatments + Listen to some new speakers portion.

As of right now it looks like we will meet for lunch at the Iguana Grill beforehand. We still need to set a time for this part.

However, the projector shoot-out is still in the air, because no one has quite yet offered to host. Nudge, nudge to Greg.

Colin, I'll throw this out to you as well about coming over to my place on this Saturday if you are interested. Just shoot me an email to tell me yay or nay.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys, I'm outta here for 1/2 day vacation to work on the monoliths and set up a new computer - yes Dad is getting a computer after the last few years of buying 'em for the kids.
Scott, I appreciate the invitation, but I need to put in most of tomorrow on the giant towers so They'll be ready to veneer (hopefully) Sunday. Some day I do definitely want to hear those French speakers you've told us about.
Nils, I'm a newbie to room treatments. Jonathan is the expert here. He sent me instructions for building basic first-reflection type sidewall absorber panels. I plan to get materials and maybe pre-cut the wood so we do some assembly on the 11th.
Colin: It's the 11th. 11:30 at the Iguana Grill for lunch, then to my house (I'll have maps) for a dirty hands-on D-I-Y room treatment build session. Non-workers will be asssessed a fine ;) I hope Jonathan can be there - maybe we can do a bass trap also. Did you notice that Nils has a couple of those plastic panels we discussed? (hint, hint!)
I'm outta here...

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Man, c'mon guys no one wants to take me up on my offer. I feel selfish getting to listen to all this stuff and not able to share it. Someone help me out, I would really love to have a listening partner or two this weekend.
Ha, the above sounds like I am a hooker or something after reading it back over.
Scott:D

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Hank -
If Nils brings the plastic panels to the meet, I'm especially looking forward to seeing them in action.
If I like what I see, then I'll take the hint... :)

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Gentlemen,

I hate to be "this guy".... but do not open any emails from me if you get them. Don't even click on them. I just wanted to warn everybody here since I've been in email contact with several of you.

Angry on an otherwise wonderful saturday morning,

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Mark I haven't heard yay or nay from you.

I believe you have my phone number call me if you are interested in coming over, since it seems your email is in a funk. Looks like we will be getting together around 7pm instead of 1pm now.

Scott

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
Hey Scott,
Thanks for the invite but I'm just too busy tonight. I woke up this morning, checked email, got a particularly nasty virus (no I didn't open it, this was Outlook's fault) and went to campus. I've been here since working on a microprocessor simulator for which I had to write the microcode for the given architecture and instruction set, and while the everything now compiles without error I can't get it to run. So I'm stuck in lab til probably close, at which point I get to go home and deal with my computer, which is running programs I can't terminate, creating additional partitions on my hard drive, and replacing those oh-so-important Windows system files. Oh, and I have to hit the liquor store before 9pm (for obvious reasons :)).
Hey Colin,
Yep, it seems some wonderful person has been targeting the DIY audio forum folks with some virii. There's a thread about it over at Madisound right now. Looks like I was one of the unlucky few.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Mark -

If it is the W32.Elkern virus that hit your system, it is removable. It contains code that can destroy data, but it is unlikely to be invoked except if the date is September 13.

If your hard drive is still readable and your system boots, you should be able to download a virus removal utility from Symantec's Web site and kill it off.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Just got back from Scott Oliver's place, where I heard two tube power amps in action, from Rogue Audio and Air Tight.
Other equipment: a Meridian CD transport, Theta Casanova pre/pro/DAC, and JM Reynaud Offrande speakers.
Everyone who was there (Scott, Greg Risley, and myself) brought CDs and sampled a wide variety of music in varying styles.
Of the two, I liked the Air Tight amp quite a bit better.
Of course, it was more expensive by about a factor of 3... :frowning: The sound was much more open, lively, and engaging.
The Rogue Audio amp was not a bad piece of equipment. smooth and non-fatiguing. But when compared to the Air Tight, high frequencies seemed to be rolled off, and there was something oddly detached and analytical about the Rogue amp that I can't quite put my finger on...
In my opinion, a hallmark of really good audio equipment is when it facilitates enjoyment of music you don't usually like or listen to regularly. Music that seemed ho-hum on the Rogue amp sprung to life on the Air Tight amp, giving a sense of hearing a live performance rather than just a recording.
At any rate, this only reinforces that I have champagne tastes and a beer budget...

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Thanks to Greg and Colin, hope you both had a good time.

Nice quick comparison review there Colin, I agree.

Personally, I am of the belief when the Air tIght is in action my system is not doing to much wrong, and I have a feeling that any improvements would be very very minor if any thus making the costs involved unreasonable. With the Bryston 5B-St, not much is wrong but the Air Tight just raises everything to another level. Great stuff.

Today, I am going to put my Bryston back into duty and play around with the interconnects and other tweaks, so I can get a feel for what they are doing with the Bryston. I have not tried this yet, because when Brian was here we didn't start switching stuff up until the Rogue 88 was connected. But, I have got to get used to my Bryston again , because I asked Brian to bring the Acoustic Zen Matrix Ref. IC when he returns to do one last comparison between it and the Tara Labs RSC Ref. II

Greg Risley

Second Unit
Big thanks to Scott for letting Colin and me come by for a listen. Great gear and very nice host. Those speakers are as much works of art as they are musical insturments. Also to put in my 2 cents, I liked the Air Tight amp also.

Well my beautiful and understanding wife says I can have the shoot-out over here at my casa. If Nils wil bring along his 2 sheets of screen material, we could possiblly set up 3 screens and rotate in diff. projectors. I will have access to a laptop with dvd so that will provide a good image and my main cpu has a dvd-rom so that can drive some good pics also.

Please email me if you would like to come and I will get you the directions or I will have them at Hank's house.

If you have a portable projector please let me know and I will make a list of all that are coming. The more projectors the better, we want a broad sampling. Where are you DILA owners? Come on I know your out there and those things aint that heavy you big baby.

Later

Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks