What's new

New Apocalypse Now DVD set this year? (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The UK editon of Ladyhawke 2.35:1 anamorphic, also. But I assume that the Korean is NTSC, so that was well worth pointing out, Curt, thanks. I'm not a fan, though - that music score is just plain awful; it ruined the film for me. But sumptuous, adventurous cinematography and Michelle Pfeiffer is so sexy that I wanted to die. Rescore it with strings and French horn and I'll be a much happier film geek!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm disappointed that in the two reviews I've read, there's been no A/B transfer comparisons to the previous discs. For some of us, a picture quality improvement would be the only factor to upgrade.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
speaking of ladyhawke.

when I had a chance to talk with Mr. Donner at the superman returns premire. I asked him about a special edition of ladyhawke. He said he would love to do a special edition of ladyhawke.

Jacob

AlexCosmo

Stunt Coordinator
Did the original 70mm run of Apocalypse have an intermission?

The music in Ladyhawke is hilarious. They should do an alternate track using Jerry Goldsmith's unused score for Timeline (hey, it's Donner, it's medievel).

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Goldsmith's score wasn't used after Donner recut the film and felt that the score wasn't "loud enough", as if that is a value that can be placed on music. I have not seen Timeline (sounds like crap to me - The Navigator: A Mediaeval Odyssey in reverse?) but Goldsmith rarely composes a weak score, yet many of his scores have been dropped or underused, which is a shame.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
This is a bit OT, but Varese Sarabande did release an excellent compilation of Goldsmith's unused 'Timeline' music on an SACD-hybrid. GREAT stuff, really rousing, and a fitting postscript to his long and wonderful career. It wasn't really rejected, either...the film was being constantly re-edited, and Goldsmith decided to exit the project after the second round of recording on it.

JohnTRU

Stunt Coordinator
From http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/archi...lypse_agai.php

"I am trying to get Francis to release HEARTS OF DARKNESS on DVD. He feels that it is not a flattering portrait of himself. I have told him it makes him look heroic. Any die-heard fans out there of Coppola or APOCALYPSE NOW, I all encourage you to write fan letters to Francis telling him to put out the doc. The Criterion Colletction wants it. All they need is the okay from Francis. I have done everything I can do to persuade him.

Posted by: George Hickenlooper at July 31, 2006 05:51 PM"

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
That Jeffrey Wells guy is hilarious. He makes a post featuring all sorts of technical details that are all wrong. First asserting that Apocalypse Now was shot in 70mm (by which I guess he means 65mm), then proposing that films shouldn't be so severly matted "I'm always disagreeing with people who think it's better to show a film with the tops and bottoms chopped off. Give it air, I always say. Give the actors a little headroom.", when 70mm (and 35mm anamorphic) aren't matted formats.

I propose he should stick to writing gossip articles...

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator

If Criterion got their hands on 'Hearts of Darkness', a million DVD fans would rejoice! That would be incredible!

At this point i'm not picking up this new DVD set...i'll find somewhere to rent it for the commentary tracks. There's no logical reason for the films to be split up like they are if they didn't use branching. I'll wait for the eventual HD DVD/Blue Ray release down the road

~Jason

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
you can write to Mr. Coppola through this mailing address:

American Zoetrope
916 Kearny St. San Francisco CA 94133

Jacob

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Just watch part of the dvd of "The Exocist the beginning" which is 2.35:1
wonder why Storaro didn't crop it

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Most likely because they included the opening credits, and chopping the screen to 2:1 would cut them off, in violation of union rules. It's the same reason why pan n scan TV broadcasts show opening credits in its OAR letterboxed.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Maybe someone should start a petition for Hearts of Darkness.

Cory S.

Supporting Actor
This comes from the Bargins section at DVDTalk.com. This is what Circuit City is offering:

"Apocalypse Now: The Complete Dossier >>>> $12.99 ****

****Circuit City Exclusive: Free 20 minute bonus DVD // Includes added & expanded scenes from Apocalypse Now: Redux, the destruction of the Kurtz compound with Coppola commentary & trailers"

For that price and the extra DVD, I'm completely sold on it now....

Actually, "the destruction of the Kurtz compound with Coppola commentary" was on the original AN dvd so there isn't much new stuff there...

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
That Circuit City disc makes this a more "Complete" Dossier, so I'll grab it from them. And that's the lowest price for it I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks