New amp now what?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Ding Guy, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Ding Guy

Ding Guy Extra

I just picked up a nice carver 2 ch. amp, it's a beast. Now I was wanting some of you guy's to tell me what you would do with it. First off I have 5.1 set up. Reciever is Integra 7.8 and speakers are Klipsch rf 83's and matching suronds, rt 12d sub. I can do so much with the amp I can't make up my mind. Here's what I got so far, in no order.

1) a- run it bridged mono to a 12,15,18 sub in a custom box, 850 watt

b- 4 ohm stereo to 2 12's 15's , 425 watt per chan.

2) run my integra to the high's on the RF 83's and run the carver to the 3 - 8's, Is that still BI-amping?

3) use it in a 2 chan. setup.

OR)............

I would love to get some ideas or votes on would you do. At this point the bridged mono is a slight favorite.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I have a similar Carver that I am going to use with a set of SVS passive cylinder "clones" that I am building. I did model them after the older Plus series after picking up a pair of the Plus drivers.

3. Ding Guy

Ding Guy Extra

That sounds good. Do you think it would be better to go with dual subs or with 1 large 1 with twice the power? Thats one of the things that I have no idea about. Does it matter or is it just to each is own?

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Option 2: It doesn't work that way. You can't bi-amp with mismatched amps. To be more clear, it will function and you will get sound, it just doesn't work properly. Bi-amping requres identical amps to work properly.

I would use a different option and use the Carver to power your L/R speakers.

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

It depends on your goal, the sub(s) you pick, your constraints (box size limits, etc) and your budget. I went with dual subs because the amp will drive 4 ohm loads in stereo. When I picked up the used drivers, I bought both of them to save on shipping so that's how I ended up going with dual subs.

Same way with my current setup. My Behringer EP-2500 will drive a 2 ohm load in stereo and each of my subs is a quad 2 ohm voice coil. I have each sub wired at 2 ohms so the amp is capable of putting out 800w per channel at 20 hz.