What's new

New Allison Krauss and Union Station 2004 (merged) (1 Viewer)

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
OK, I had the day off and have been listening to music all day. AKUS new album is wonderful, both sonically and material wise. Sorry I can't be more specific. Gotta go Big Head Todd's dvd is a calling my name!:D

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Picked it up at Target today, but haven't listened yet. Target's first week sale price is only $9.98.

And, by the way, this release has been discussed in this other thread. Apparently Circuit City is even cheaper on this one.

(admin note - thread merged)

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Phil, I didn't mean to make it sound as if I didn't believe you. I was just wondering if there was any new info, since companies will sometimes claim that something isn't in the works in order to boost sales of the currently available product.

-Dave

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Dave, I sent them an E-Mail and got the response. They may very well change their mind 6 mos. or a yr. down the road. For $9, I said what the heck. I did not buy the 2nd Norah Jones album even though the record label said no more hi-rez. It was $10 on sale when it came out but I had too many things on my list of what I wanted. Now last I heard in Feb. it is coming to SACD and DVD-A. So who knows. Dave the E-Mail I got was on November 9, the date I posted. I doubt if they had anything planned it's going to change any time in the near term.

Ross M

Agent
I've listened to this cd many times over since release and I can say that it is an incredible cd. The songs are very melodic and of course Alison and US sound amazing. I must say it is one the finest sounding redbook cd's I have. The recording of this is amazing. The songs are sequenced great and I find myself playing it over and over and never skipping any songs.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
I believe Gary Paczosa has been their engineer since their "So Long, So Wrong" album, or maybe even earlier. I've found him to be an amazing engineer. Everything I have that he has engineered sounds spectacular. I don't have my copy yet, I hope it's in my stocking Christmas morning. :)

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
This CD is without a doubt, another showcase for Alison's incredible vocals. Man she's so lucky to have been blessed with a voice like that. She's not really breaking any new ground for herself with this album, it's not really taking many chances, but that's all well and good for me.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Is this album a mixture of contemporary ballads mixed with more traditional uptempo bluegrass? That was the mix of last couple of albums.

The more I get into AKUS, the more I like the more traditional stuff. After I have a their cds for a while, I will skip most of ballads for the more uptempo stuff. I really liked AK's solo album when I bought it, but now I hardly spin it because it has so many ballads on it.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Kyle, it's very similar to the last two AKUS releases. If anything, there is less Dan Tyminski on this album and more Alison if my memory serves me well. I think there are something like 13 tracks and Alison sings on at least 8 of them, maybe 9. There is one instrumental and the other three are bluegrass songs sung by Dan. There is some traditional bluegrass here, but maybe less than you would like.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Been listening for the past week off and on. I like it quite a bit. Alison is in top form as usual, as are the rest. Here's a rundown of the 15 tracks (total time 47:40):

Lonely Runs Both Ways

1. Gravity - Alison vocal, subdued and slow-paced, an instrumental interlude in the middle features guitar and dobro.

2. Restless - Alison vocal, a little more up-tempo. Harmony by the guys.

3. Rain Please Go Away - more traditional bluegrass, with Dan vocal in a wailing style, instrumental interludes feature Jerry's dobro, Alison's fiddle, Ron's banjo.

4. Goodbye Is All We Have - Alison vocal, dobro featured in the background.

5. Unionhouse Branch - Uptempo instrumental, featuring the fiddle up front, then the others in turn.

6. Wouldn't Be So Bad - Alison vocal, mellow.

7. Pastures of Plenty - Dan vocal, backed mainly by banjo, and the rest of the instruments in parts.

8. Crazy as Me - Alison vocal, a short dobro interlude.

9. Borderline - Alison vocal, nice harmonies, violin interlude, then guitar, contains the line ".. lonely still runs both ways .." from which the album is named.

10. Poor Old Heart - Alison vocal, banjo featured, harmony, fiddle interlude.

11. This Sad Song - Dan vocal, bluegrass.

12. Doesn't Have to Be This Way - Alison vocal, mellow. Guitar interlude, then violin.

13. I Don't Have to Live This Way - Ron Block vocal, bluegrass.

14. If I Didn't Know Any Better - Alison vocal, mellow. Probably my favorite on this CD at this point.

15. A Living Prayer - Alison vocal (clear as a bell) on a Ron Block song. Simple, subdued guitar backing.

So of the 15, Alison has lead vocal on 10, Dan on 3, Ron on one, and one instrumental.

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Wow Glenn, thanks a lot. That's a great break down.
Sounds pretty similar the the format of the last album.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I went to see akus live last night. As similar to last year, they didn't disappoint! A few snafus on the equipment side(being that is was the 3rd show I will let that pass) but Alison's voice has never sounded better:b
The encore acopello (spelling?)was unbelievable with Down to the River and ending with A Living Prayer. Man the band was tight and Alison's satire was on par as usual. Don't miss this album and especially a chance to see them live!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks