What's new

new All About Eve (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
To me, Fox has done a miracle. For years, All About eve has had major sound problems - the new dVD sounds incredible - AND - it looks great - extras are good too.
Also good is the new How Green was My Valley which seems to use the stereo track I created for Fox back in 1992 using the multitrack music recordings.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I finally got a chance to watch my copy tonight and I must say the new release sure beats the previous DVD by a wide margin. I can't wait for some of the future releases by Fox in the future.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Also good is the new How Green was My Valley which seems to use the stereo track I created for Fox back in 1992 using the multitrack music recordings.
I'm still waiting for my copy of How Green Was My Valley and I'm certainly glad that the stereo track is included this time. I understand Fox's Day the Earth Stood Still also includes the stereo track which was created for the laser disc, despite earlier reports saying that it would only have the mono track.

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator
Mankiewicz, a man of taste and sensitivity, literate, mature, witty. How films have suffered for lack of talent such as his, Wilder's, or Lubitsch, Preston Sturges. At last, Mank's greatest film receives due respect.

The fact that Fox used multi-track music recording so long ago allows one to also appreciate the great score by Alfred Newman, reproduced on the DVD with astounding clarity.

Herrmann's awesome work for Day the Earth Stood Still will be greater still if released on DVD in the same way. Many thanks to Fox, and Joe Caps, for their valuable work.

ToddF

Agent
Real Name
Todd Fredericks
Joe,

Can you further explain the work you did on 'All About Eve'? I'm sure this would be a great story...

Todd

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Joe Caps, i'm so glad you are confirming this about
the HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY stereo tracks. I asked about that in the HGWMV review thread and nobody ever answered.
Great! I had commented there how much i loved those tracks. Also glad to hear that EVE is doing well. I'll pick up both.:emoji_thumbsup:

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Just checked out my DVD, including some of the bonus features.

AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm very happy with this latest dvd release of "All About Eve" and still can't believe that Judy Holliday beat out Bette Davis, Gloria Swanson, and Anne Baxter for the Best Actress Oscar.

Crawdaddy

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
In my opinion, Judy Holliday didn't beat out Davis, Swanson, et al for the Oscar. Anne Baxter beat them out. The studio initially wanted Baxter nominated for Best Supporting Actress (which she would've won in all likelihood). However she through a fit and got elevated to Best Actress. This caused a vote split between her and Davis which caused both actresses to go home empty handed.

Years later when Davis was told that Baxter regretted her demand and that she felt she should've gone for Supporting Actress, Davis dryly replied "Yes, she should have".

This is one great DVD all the way around. Fans should also seek out the book "All About 'All About Eve'" which came out a year or so ago.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Paul,
As you know the dvd talks about the split vote in regard to the "All About Eve" actresses, but Holliday still beat out Swanson, who's performance in my opinion was superior to Holliday's.

Crawdaddy

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I believe that it might be beneficial to the group if Joe Caps would explain further precisely where the tracks for these mono releases came from.

A very interesting story.

The group should realize that they are not a final true stereo tracks as released, but I'll defer to Joe to have fun explaining that one.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
just watched the dvd, superb indeed and a fantastic print indeed. Bette Davis is simply superb as are the others. I love the Marilyn Monroe part as well.

Great job Fox

:emoji_thumbsup:

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
TELL ME WHERE IS THE BEST FOX FILM OF THE DECADE
"PEYTON PLACE" LONG OVERDUE FOR A DVD RELEASE,
I HOPE IT GETS A TWO DISC SET, WITH OUTTAKES,
AND MAYBE THE PILOT EPISODE FOR THE TV SERIES,
THAT LEFT THE CROSS FAMILY IN THE SERIES, INSTEAD
OF WRITING THEM OUT OF THE TV SERIES, I REMEMBER,
WHEN I WAS IN THE SEVENTH GRADE SEEING A PHOTO
OF MIA FARROW AS ALLISON, AND GYL ROLAND AS SELENA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks