New addition at AV123: Rocket Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan F, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Allan F

Allan F Agent

I noticed the addition of a new line of speakers at AV123. Hmmm. They look oftly familiar.......I just can't place it[​IMG]. Anyone seen or heard these yet? If you guys in Colorado read this; how do the sonic qualities of this lineup vary from the Diva's?
    www.rocketloudspeakers.com
    Allan

2. Sean D

Sean D Stunt Coordinator

My guess is that they would sound quite different than the Divas....they use the Vifa XT tweeter. They look sweeeet.

3. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Sheesh, they look like long lost brothers or something. Are they made by the same company or what? If not I'm surprised Swans didn't sue them for some design copyright infringement or something like that...

4. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

5. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

Price wise are the similar too?

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

J. Fo,

I agree, this really makes no sense to me. It's obviously just a Diva clone with a different tweeter. I mean, at least change the cabinets or something! I think this will confuse customers more than anything. I don't doubt that speaker companies sometimes share designs and simply change cosmetics or maybe tweak the crossovers a bit (it happens in every other industry), but I wouldn't sell them through the same distribution network!

Brian

7. Eric_Singer

Eric_Singer Agent

The new line seems to use metal woofers. I haven't heard anything with the Vifa ring tweeter, but it is possible that AV123 wanted a brighter-sounding line to appeal to those who don't like the sound of the Divas, which as I understand it, are more laid-back. I'd certainly like to hear what someone from AV123 has to say if they're prowling around this forum...

Eric

8. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

9. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

Anyone notice how Wharfedale, Tannoy, and now AV123 is doing away with speakers with top mounted tweeters? It's not an accident nor a coincidence. See the "Offical Diva by Swans" thread at AVSForum's Audio & Hi-Fi forum for more on this from AV123's Mark Schifter. (page 79)

10. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

Um, yes it looks like B&W did sue Swan. Read the last 2 pages of the "offical Diva" thread over at AV123. The Diva line is dead. This is their new line.

Quoting Mark:
    "While I cannot get into tremendous detail here, this has to do with some possible legal entanglements stemming from potential infringements of “Trade Dress” (mounting the tweeter on top of the cabinet as used by another company), and the use of the actual name, DIVA. These are very serious matters and we find ourselves in a precarious position.
    "

11. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

My only question is why did they cross the XT25 over at 3800hz? You think they'd want to take advantage of a tweeter that has an Fs of 500hz and a frequency response of 1500hz-40,000hz. Especially with metal cone mid/woofs that generally have nasty breakup modes in the higher frequencies.

12. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dustin,

I think I've heard some stuff about the tweeter having some issues when crossing over low even with the low Fs. But Thomas and Jon are designing a speaker using this tweeter and one of the Hi-Vi 8" woofers. They seem to like it. Check it out over at HT Guide.

Brian

13. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

14. SkiingNinja

SkiingNinja Second Unit

Wow, there are lots of good questions here...Mark will be by in a while to answer everything [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Sean

15. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I had finally decided to go with the 4.1/C3 setup, and was planning to pull the trigger in August (too many other expenses in July!).

The Rockets look great, but I think I'm priced-out of that particular market (it was difficult justifying the Swans expense to my wife - she'll never go for even more expensive ones).

Ah well, maybe there'll still be a few 4.1's and C3's left in stock in August, but it looks like it may be Axiom for me. Disappointed...

16. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I just got my divas in May, sure glad this option for a product that would have to have been in production and planning for months was not even mentioned, should it be that far surperior I feel totally jobbed[​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

why is there no sensitivity rating for the rockets? wonder when that'll be on the site.

18. DavidRT

DavidRT Auditioning

Guys,
    I'm sure of a couple of things here:
    One is that the Divas are still as good as they ever were, and may even get to become collectors items. I know I will never sell mine.
    Two is that Rocket is a natural and necessary progression.
    Three is that Mark Schifter has worked himself into exaustion to bring us this incredible new line, and they ARE all new. After a year in development, the AV123 engineering team has worked for months tirelessly tweaking every last detail of Rocket in order to bring us a product that not only is outstanding in every respect, but at a price point that to me seems impossible.
    You guys are gonna love these speakers.

19. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer

20. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

grrreaat. now they have speakers with 5.25 inch driver. if i knew about this last month i would have bought the rocket line instead of psb image 1b.