What's new

Never doubt the power of a DSLR for movies again (1 Viewer)

Wow, that was pretty nice. It's amazing how technology is nowadays. I'm still doing research on which camera to get for my preference.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Lucas using the 5dm2 shots taken during pickup filming on Redtails, full report from Philip Bloom:
http://philipbloom.co.uk/2010/05/12/redtails/

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
That's excellent video quality, Sam. Did you use an external mic to record the audio, or is that just from the built-in microphone of the camera?

My Canon 7D just arrived yesterday. Although I have never been much for shooting video I'm looking forward to trying out its HD video feature just to see what the video quality is like. I need to figure out the still photography features of the camera first. It's a little different than my 40D.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Just the crappy wind whistling on board mono mic.

If the D7000 is announced wednesday with features as rumored I will buy a Zacuto Zfinder and one of these mics to pair with it:
http://www.rode.com.au/microphone.php?product=VideoMic

Shane D

Supporting Actor
the video department here burned up 2 7d's trying to do production video on them so be wary, granted ithink they had them running for like 30 min non stop.

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I have been shooting video off and on with my Canon T1i and it does a pretty good job all things considered. I still think it will be a while before we get full on the fly auto-focus video camera functionality. The Camera purists that I hang with don't believe mixing the two is a great idea. I think they believe the long term sacrifices will be too great. For the amateurs like me I think it is cool.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
I tried just shooting video with the 60D and it did kept on shooting way past the 5 minute mark. I stopped at around 8 minutes.
So am I to understand shooting for 20 minutes or more not a good thing?

Don Solosan

Supporting Actor
Eric, I have a Canon Powershot SX1is that shoots 1080p, and the limitation is that it records in chunks of 4 gigs. So I get about 14 minutes, then it shuts off. Most of the time I'm not shooting long takes, so it's not a problem. I don't know if consistently shooting long takes is especially hard on a camera or not...

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Definitely varies by camera. Check your manuals before long takes!

I like this one!
http://www.richardpeters.co.uk/blog/2010/11/03/my-first-play-with-the-nikon-d3s-wildlife-video/

CitrixXen

Auditioning
Real Name
Ethan Daniels
I use my nikon D90 for capturing videos and I'm satisfied with it. What other dslr cams do you know guys that can really be very helpful in videos?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks