What's new

Networking question.. please help me out! (1 Viewer)

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseum... I still need come clarification though. I have a BB connection to my PC upstairs and I want to establish a wireless connection to my PS2, XBox, and my HTPC which are all downstairs in my living room.

I know I will need a wireless router (BEFW11S4)... but then the confusion sets in. In order to connect to my PC, do I need a wireless NIC or will my current NIC work just fine?

In order to connect to my peripherals downstairs, can I use a WET 11 for all three components (PS2, Xbox, HTPC) or do I need a WET 11 for each component?

Or... can I use (1) Wet 11 and use it to connect to a HUB which will then connect to the other two components?

Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks a ton!

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
Wireless will totally mess up your ping.... is there anyway you can run a long line?
I am sure everyone will agree. You would probally be beeter off running your bb right to the ps2 etc, and have wireless going to your pc....
just my 2cents

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the quick reply.

I can definitely run a line to my XBox and PS2. Actually, I have that very setup right now... what I definitely wanted to do though was to have a wireless connection to my HTPC.

Does a wireless router allow you to connect via CAT5? Or do I have to "add" a wireless router into the mix just for my HTPC?

Thanks!

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Rob, I have the Linksys wireless router and a Linksys WMP11 wireless PCI card. The router and cable modem are set up in the family room with the Xbox, PS2 and GCN. Since the router is also a 4-port switch, I can directly connect the game machines to it. The Xbox is the only one I currently have connected, but it works great. As far as the PCI card goes, it works okay, but I'm not a hundred percent convinced about the device driver (it's not WindowsXP certified.) It worked fine for several days, but I noticed a dramatic decrease in Internet performance over the weekend. Right now, my incoming cable line is split out between the tv and modem/router, but tomorrow I am having a new dedicated broadband line installed. Depending on what this yields, I will either keep it or return it for the more expensive WET11 (which works fine, BTW.) In any event, if you go with this router and are using an Xbox, make sure to set it up so that you have a wired connection from the router to the Xbox. It will work the other way, but not nearly as reliably. Good luck!
Gary

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Gary, thanks!

It's interesting that a "wireless" router allows you to have a cable connected to it. I did some research on the Wet 11 and I think Im going to run a CAT5 to my consoles and a Wet 11 to my HTPC.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Rob, the WET11 worked like a champ for me once I got it configured (don't forget about entering your SSID correctly!). I kick myself for returning it, but when I had problems configuring it, I spoke to a network administrator friend who advised I'd be better off with a dedicated wireless PCI card. Per my earlier post, the jury's still out on that one...
Gary

Dave Sabo

Stunt Coordinator
Just a tip on networking topic in general. If you are inexperienced in networking, the greatest place you can go for information (in non geek-speak) is Practically Networked.
It covers just about everything anyone looking to do any type of home network needs to know or ask about.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks