What's new

Netflix ROKU Player (1 Viewer)

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
What do you think of it? It looks like all it can do is stream Netflix movies. What is the advantage of this compared to other products that stream (wirelessly or not) video to a TV?

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Presumably the advantage is for the people who have no interest in sitting at their PC watching a movie, or don't have the ambition to run a connection between their PC and their monitor. However they'll still have to connect the box to the internet (wirelessly or otherwise). Also at this point the box only outputs at 480i and no surround sound, so picture/sound quality isn't going to be great, although Netflix didn't rule out HD content down the road (the box is future-proofed pretty well). This should just been seen as a cheap alternative for the average consumer but I'm not sure it's anything for us to get excited about yet.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Watch Netflix movies without waiting on the mail, on your TV instead of a computer. And it's a flat cost for the unit. There's no additional service fee since it uses your Netlflix subscription. If I used Netlflix, this likely be a quick purchase for me.

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
I was just going to get a card with some RCA outputs for my tv next to my computer. Any suggestions on a decent card? Also, what about something that would send a wireless signal to my good TV. It can use just about any input out there.

Nick

Second Unit
I was thinking of getting one myself. It got great review from several sites that reviewed it. It's HD ready with just a firmware upgrade.
I have PS3 and I read that I might be able to stream it from there sometimes in the future, So I think I should wait. If anybody knows when it's coming to PS3, Please share the info.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I thought I'd bring up this old thread to ask if anyone has any experience with the NetFlix Roku device? I'm seriously considering getting one. I watched a documentary on my son's XBox 360 and I was thoroughly impressed. If the Roku works as well as the 360 with Netflix, I will definitely get one.

It will only be used for old tv shows, instructional type video, and things that don't need great sound (which includes my wife's movies
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
). I'm looking to supplement my Blu-Ray.

Thoughts?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the article, Keith. Seems like all of the players have some issue. The ROKU will be sufficient for what I want to do with it. Maybe later I'll look at one of the Blu-Ray's (when I decide to buy a second one).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks