What's new

Netflix raising price for Blu-ray access (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I know nothing about business so that article was all greek to me.

Sad that Blockbuster may be going down, though, which of course was the jist of the article.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
While I sympathize with those who may lose rental opportunities, I can't say I'm sad about Blockbuster's difficulties. Their puritanical attitude regarding film ratings (a self-defeating one in any event) helped deprive the industry of a useful rating owing to their command of the rental market and their refusal to stock NC-17 rated films.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
So I just noticed that NF isn't going to carry many (or perhaps any) of the Warner catalogs that were released this week such as Tango & Cash and 2010: YWMC. Typical of them and now they expect me to shell out more $ for BD access when they aren't carrying every title that is available?

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Typical of them.... to price their offerings indicative of the value their customers derive from those offerings... yes, indeed.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
it took them more than a year to offer the Kingdom of Heaven DC on dvd rather than just SD, so they may eventually stock it. Make title suggestions to them regularly of the titles they're not carrying.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink

Jason is one of their customers. Based on his post, I gather that their pricing does not match the value he derives from their offerings.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Why be so defensive of NF? Not like Jason's the *only* one to complain about NF's (lack of) service for Blu-rays, which is the main issue at hand. :rolleyes

Of course, if NF will quickly remedy the problem now that they're charging that much more for them, I'm sure most will stop complaining...

_Man_

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
As I said before, talk is cheap. I gave Jason the benefit of the doubt that he'll eventually put his money where is mouth is and stop complaining and actually take responsible action as a consumer, i.e., stop patronizing a supplier from which he claims he isn't getting enough value.

However, maybe I'm being too generous. Maybe his complaints are more vacuous than that. Maybe he just wants to pay less, even though what he's paying now is worth it. If that's what you're asserting then shame on you for thinking so little of Jason.

Let's be clear: If you are paying the price, then you are ratifying the price/value proposition offered. If you pay and complain, then you're blowing smoke.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Brian K - Question for you - do you subscribe to cable or satellite TV?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Entitlement??? So NF has been charging extra for BD rental service (for the past 6 months), but apparently doesn't send out BDs in any reasonably timely fashion to many customers (or doesn't feel like increasing inventory at a good pace) and complaints about that along w/ the new price hike is what you call "entitlement mentality"???

If anyone is feeling "entitled", it's NF -- that's why they've been charging more w/out actually providing more. Let's see if NF will actually put their $$$ where their mouth is would be more like it now that they're substantially hiking the extra charge. :rolleyes

Sheeeeesh!

For the record, I would agree there's a lot of entitlement mentality going on in our society, but I fail to see this being a prime example of that. Would be one thing if NF did *not* charge extra, but that's just not the case.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, I would agree w/ Brian that y'all should do more than just complain about NF here.

I think some of y'all should just dump NF (at least temporarily) and maybe move to Blockbuster, if BD rental (and keeping NF competitive) is a big deal to you. And let NF know why you're dumping them while you're at it.

And before Jason also asks me whether I subscribe to cable/sat, the answer is NO -- because I do not feel they're worth it to me. :D OTA digital reception, especially nowadays, is good enough for me (to go along w/ all the media purchases and rentals and whatever else I do).

_Man_

Shane D

Supporting Actor
i don't do blu rentals myself yet, but of all the talk of blockbuster going under, i think you guys are just screwed with the price increase since in 3 months they may be the only one to go to for blu rentals.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

At that point, I guess I'll just stop renting altogether again. :P I generally prefer to buy, not rent, anyway. And the main reason I decided to rent again (via Blockbuster) is for Blu-ray though I do very occasionally rent a DVD from them as well.

Personally, I think they should just offer a BD-exclusive plan for those of us who only want BDs -- and maybe give us the option to pay an extra $1 to rent a DVD or two each month. :P :D

_Man_

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
For what it's worth, my friend who switched to BB.com because of the hike said that she's impressed so far, fast turn around time and they haven't gotten it wrong yet.

I told her get back to me in another three weeks and if they're still doing good i'll switch. Still, she doesn't rent as many TV shows as I do and that's where the problem was before so I might have to find that out on my own, hopefully they've gotten better.

Now, is it just the brick n' mortor stores that might close or is BB.com in danger, too? Wouldn't that be nice for NF, being the only game in town.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Maybe you can just scale back your NF plan and spend the savings on the one-at-a-time plan w/ BB.com mainly for their BDs. Not like you're required to completely dump one for the other afterall, especially since the BD option is extra (and optional) w/ NF -- and there are no non-compete agreement to sign IIRC. ;) :D Something to consider.

_Man_

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
a couple years ago I switched from blockbuster to netflix because while the return in store and get a new free rental thing was terriffic, espeically for new releases, their website was much worse to navigate. hard to manage your queue, and there was a fifty fifty shot blockbuster would skip 1-6 things at the top of your queue (which said available, not wait) to send you something much lower. I got to the point where I was trying to keep less than five or ten movies in my queue to try to get the movies I wanted. and their recommendations and ratings system were completely inept.

Worst of all, catalogue new releases could take three, four or more weeks to filter onto the blockbuster site, which was very frustrating.

I went back to netflix and loved the way their site navigated and the queue was managed. of course netflix has changed both of those things for the worst now, they no longer have an awesome 'this weeks releases' page, broken down by genre. the more actively managable drag and drop new queue at netflix is in theory a good idea but in practice has immensely long lag times and is in general just a pain to use. So some of the things I like best about netflix have gone downhill. otoh, their bluray service is great and I get them as fast as regular dvds, never had a problem on that front. I would imagine blockbuster to have inferior blu ray service and selection, though, so I'm very hesitant to switch back.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
That's silly. They're a service. They learn about their customers, figure out what is appropriate to offer for the price-point customers are willing to pay, and offer the service that way. You are not owed anything other than what you are explicitly promised. Your presumption that they should kowtow to your self-motivated expectations is indefensible.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
And if you think the Netflix, or Netflix BD service, aren't worth, then do without them, too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks