What's new

NetFlix lowers prices, but... (1 Viewer)

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Actually I have not had any problems until Feb 2005. From Oct 2003 through Jan 2005, I have had a very consistent average of 2.3 days in each direction. Starting February 2005 it has been 3.1 days each direction. Hopefully this is just a temporary fluctuation in USPS performance.

However, it will have to get much worse than this before I'll consider Ballbuster.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Ha Ha Ha! It just goes to show that what I've been saying in the "other" Netflix thread is 100% TRUE -- they make a conscious effort to either stall the turnaround for the discs, or send them out like lightning, depending on the person and the situation. Dave just said that he only started experiencing stalling problems in February 2005 ... but with me, that was the very first month I joined, and for a new customer like me they sped up the service so fast it made my head spin (and NOW they're stalling in March)!

Say what you will, but from everyone's experiences it's very clear that Netflix has the ability to move these turnarounds like either the tortoise or the hare.
It's not an accident.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Keep in mind this isn't necessarily a long-term issue -- there have been periodic fluctuations since 7/99 when I first started with Netflix. Nevertheless, since 1/1/2001 it has averaged out to right at $3.00 per rental from Netflix (this incorporates sales tax), which is much better than I could ever do renting locally -- not to mention selection...

Nick

Second Unit
I don't have problem with turn around time at all. If I return the movies monday I normally get the new one by wednesday. Unless it ships from different state (Usually not well known movies where they only buy so many copies. But popular movies are usually ship from the distribution center near my house).
I have about 60-70 movies on my queue and only 3 or 4 of these are short wait and the rest available now. Can't complain.
I have been a loyal fan of netflix since they started out. With $2.00 different from Blockbuster online pricing is not gonna make a dent in my pocket for me. With all the money they save me over the years from going to Blockbuster, it's just my way of saying thank you.

Blockbuster knows that they are loosing business to online rental that they have to come up with something quick. Make sure to read between the lines on their fine print how long does the price last. I don't even know if they have a distribution center in my area. I really think they are slowly killing their rental stores. The more successful their online becomes the faster their rental stores disappear. One door opens the other closes.
Any promotion that they have right now only gonna last for so long. (I heard they sent out coupons to you each month so you can redeem it at the local store) if they're not making money due to giveaway gifts and lower pricing, I don't think their stock holders will be happy.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
A few words about Blockbuster Online, since it was mentioned here.

I have been using BB Online since last summer. It had been pretty good for me. But during the last few weeks availabilty has really gotten poor. I have 22 movies in my queue and only 2 show as available. The rest are either short wait, long wait or very long wait. If they don't improve soon, I will probably cancel.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I'm still having pretty good service from Netflix (the PO Box in Honolulu helps a lot, even though I'm still waiting for Finding Neverland but Elektra and Sideways are being shipped as I type this).

I also noticed that they brought back the 2-at-a-time unlimited rental plan for $14.99/month.

While I appreciate the fact that they are trying to allow people who rent less discs to have another choice, one thing about this doesn't satisfy me.

All other plans (3 to 8-at-a-time) have a $6/disc-at-a-time cost. 2-at-a-time for $14.99 is $7.50 (which is not proportional to the other plans). Of course, if you rent a lot in a month, that's still a very good deal.

Although understanding both sides of the fence (Netflix must make profit$), I would hope that their 2-at-a-time would be $11.99 and their 4-rentals-per-month (2-at-a-time) plan goes down to $9.99.

Since I am having less time to watch DVDs (but still enough a month to rent as a monthly plan), I would choose the 2-at-a-time plan.
-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks