Netflix goes bat@#%@ insane, it's $16 a month now if you want to keep 1 DVD + streaming, $18 for 1 B

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Sam Posten, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Yeah and their blog post tried to make this out to be a GREAT DEAL FOR CONSUMERS!!!!
    Bullshit.
    http://blog.gizmodo.com/5820815/dear-netflix-its-time-to-get-your-shit-together

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    All a ploy?
    http://allthingsd.com/20110713/reed-hastings-doesnt-want-you-to-pay-more-for-netflix-he-wants-you-to-stop-using-dvds/

3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Producer
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Netflix streaming is a cool idea that has an occasional good watch on it. Until they carry everything via streaming that they have on actual disc, paying for the streaming isn't something I'm too interested in. The vast majority of titles I chose to watch from Netflix aren't available via streaming. Still on the fence about what to do with the DVD/BD rental plan, but like others, I may drop it when the price goes up and see how much I miss it before deciding whether or not to re-subscribe.

4. Shane D

Shane D Supporting Actor

with this change netflix is gonna save me 2$ a month. i hate streaming so i'll be dropping that portion and sticking with my 2 dvd's at a time.
    I think i'll even make sure i watch stuff quicker now to get more disks a month so they have to pay more postage to show that i still think its a disk world and not streaming.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Nobody has to ask me twice to leave.

6. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    My nephew was talking so highly of this service and how cheap it was...and me with my crazyhuge movie/TV collection talking up so much space. hee hee! Glad I didn't put much stock in this services like this. Never was interested and still I'm not. I will speak out when stuff is stream exclusive though.

7. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I still haven't gotten an official notification.

8. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    /DoubleFacepalm...
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20079324-261/netflix-managers-prepared-for-backlash-to-price-increase/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&dlvrit=142337

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    My plan will go to $9.99 a month, one Blu-ray out at a time. I don't stream, so I don't care about that. So this is no big deal for me as I get 5+ discs a month for that $10. I also use RedBox if it's a gotta have it for tonight film.

10. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    If I was forced to choose, I'd stay with discs, simply because the variety is better. But I simply went from 3 discs + Blu + streaming ($24) to 2 discs + Blu + streaming ($22). Works well enough for me, especially since I mostly rent catalog discs, and the streaming catalog is pathetic.
    The real catalyst for this is that the studios are finally asking big $$$ for streaming content. Netflix estimates that their streaming rights costs will go from $180 million to $1.98 billion. Yep - an 11x increase. Hence the splitting an extra charge for streaming service and the ability to go disc only again (which Netflix will be re-emphasizing in their general advertising - they want these customer bases to be as distinct as possible to figure out the best longterm strategy going forward).

11. PattyFraser

PattyFraser Second Unit

I haven't gotten a notice yet, either.
    I have the streaming + 1 Blu-ray @ a time option currently. It doesn't work for me, because Netflix is never in a hurry to get new catalog releases in blu, which I use to help me make a decision re: purchase. I guess what I will do in September is drop the DVD/Blu-ray option and stream only.

12. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    I'm in a quandry, I'm definitely ticked, but my family uses both DVDs and the streaming. If it were just me I'd drop the streaming (I have Amazon anyway); but the others, particularly the kids, are heavy users of the streaming. I think in the end I'll just wind up dropping from a 3 disk to a 2 disk plan.
    BTW, to date I haven't received any notification of the price change from Netflix either. But when I go into my account it does mention the prices change coming.

13. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    This may be the root of the issue but it's not my problem as a consumer and as Netflix is the vendor I blame THEM and not the studios.
    http://tumblr.hopelessgeek.com/post/7570822229/what-netflix-isnt-saying

14. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    I don't buy the argument that they have to separate DVD/streaming because susbscribers not using streaming are being counted toward the licensing total. They can easily perform exact accounting as to how many people watch each and every movie. And if their contract is written that poorly, I blame them for hiring lousy contract lawyers.
    On the other hand I have no problem assigning partial venom toward the studios, as I think they're greedy pigs too.

15. WinstonCely

WinstonCely Stunt Coordinator

Winston Cely
    We use streaming all the time at our house, but it's 95% of the time for classic TV like Cheers, Andy Griffith, or Kids In The Hall. That's what I think is perfect for streaming. We watch movies on occasion via streaming, but I hate the quality of streaming movies (on any platform) because of the compression artifacts that are so much worse as opposed to standard def or Blu-ray DVDs.
    It's gonna cost us an extra $3 or something a month to have a Blu-ray and streaming... now we're considering continuing to do both instead of canceling the disc like we had originally thought. I mean, $3 isn't that bad.

16. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Cinematographer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    You are absolutely right. How else could Netflix and Sony say that PS3 users make up 30% of their streaming userbase?

Netflix also knows when you stream a title, as I always get an e-mail from them asking about the quality of what I just streamed, either on my PS3 or my PC.

17. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Netflix is making BIG MONEY tracking the metrics of who is watching what and when. This is exactly what I was worried about with DIVX and we've been foist on our own petard =( We ran into this with joy....
    Anywho, Pogue is sympathetic but gives it a soft landing:
    http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/14/why-netflix-raised-its-prices/
    And Apple Outsider says Netflix just killed the _floppy drive- =)
    http://www.appleoutsider.com/2011/07/14/netflix/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

18. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I figured something like this was inevitable, but they sure picked an interesting "rip the band-aid off" way of getting there.

19. Towergrove

Towergrove Screenwriter

Sarah
  20. dmiller68

dmiller68 Supporting Actor

David Miller