Netflix goes bat@#%@ insane, it's $16 a month now if you want to keep 1 DVD + streaming, $18 for 1 B

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Sam Posten, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Zero empathy is a bit of a problem, yeah:
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57524386-93/netflixed-author-talks-hastings-glory-hubris-white-lies-q-a/

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Hrmmmm...
    www.wired.com/business/2012/10/amazon-isnt-really-in-the-netflix-business/

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    But just because they're not in the NF business -- as in going after the exact same business w/ roughly the same model -- doesn't mean what they do won't hurt NF a whole lot though. That analyst seems a bit shortsighted (or perhaps has some hidden agenda?).

_Man_

4. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    16 months to the day I started this thread and I just cancelled my DVD plan. Keeping the streaming for now but even that is on death watch.

5. MattAlbie60

MattAlbie60 I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific

Stephen Lilley
    I canceled my streaming plan a month or so ago. Maybe two, now. I'll bring it out of hibernation when ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT comes back, but that's it. They just keep adding things I already own, which constantly irritates me.

6. Type A

Type A HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Ty
    Not a happy camper, the Hunger Games "blu ray" Netflix sent me only had Dolby Digital for an audio option. Anybody complained to Netflix about sending blu rays without the blu ray audio track?

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Netflix isnt to blame.
    Many blu's have only standard DD audio on rental copies including one I rented last week. Was either Dark KNight Rises or Paranorman

8. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

9. Type A

Type A HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Ty
    Ah, well this was my first time. Very lame development thats for sure.

10. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    This isn't a new development and certainly isn't only with Netflix. I bought a rental copies of the new Nightmare on Elm Street and Despicable Me at Blockbuster at least a year ago, if not more. They both very prominently say "Rental" on the front cover and contain very little in the way of extras. I'd have to double check the discs to know exactly what they left off.

11. Type A

Type A HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Ty
    Yeah Ive seen that printed on DVD disks and thats what threw me, this blu ray didnt say rental. Been renting blu rays for years now and this Hunger Games is the first ever that Ive seen with lower specs, guess Ive just been lucky until now.

12. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Social features now live! http://blog.netflix.com/2013/03/introducing-netflix-social.html

13. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Cinematographer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Called Netflix support the other day and had a nice chat with the agent. She said that the company is working hard to keep and win back many of their disc customers, particularly those who pay the Blu-ray surcharge, as I was complaining that many of the TV titles I wanted to rent were not available from Netflix in Blu-ray (but were available for purchase at retail). She agreed with me, and offered to refund me the surcharge this month and send me a few "free" rentals. Maybe they are finally listening......

14. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    I finally just went all streaming. I realized that at $8/mo, its cheaper than my HBO subscription and it gets as much or more use

15. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Seems reasonable if your family can use it:
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/22/4253820/netflix-launching-11-99-family-plan-four-simultaneous-streams

I let my Streaming account go to waste for quite a few months but I have been gobbling up Breaking Bad, will be on Sons of Anarchy next I think. I ate up that Kevin Spacey show in under a week too.

Also, ICYMI:
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/19/4242486/netflix-hemlock-grove-television-series-arrives-today

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/19/4236092/amazon-studios-debuting-14-original-pilots-free-streaming

And most importantly:
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/15/4228248/netflix-plans-its-move-from-microsoft-silverlight-to-html5-video

16. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
  17. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
  18. Ejanss

Ejanss Banned

EricJ
    Thing is, Netflix's "Death Spiral" wasn't about decisions, or fan disgruntlement, it was about all the Chicken-LIttling from Slate.com, for those who already managed to get through the "May 1 Massacre": :rolleyes:
    Qwikster (for those who didn't read the beginning of the thread) was a simple, albeit lame and ultimately bad, idea: Netflix wanted to directly take on Redbox by splitting their services, making one label that handled streaming, and one that handled disk-by-mail and games, and unfortunately, like today, charging separate prices for separate subscriptions. The new funny name was to satisfy the smartypantses who would ask why games were coming from a "Flix"-by-mail company, which allowed the non-game streaming service to keep the core name.
    NOBODY got the idea. Once the non-users got to press, just to keep with magic Tablet Trends, we had "Netflix will be streaming only?" "They're jumping ship!" "They're ashamed of disks!" "It's the final admittance that Disks Are Dead!" "They came up with a vile plot to clone themselves and bill us twice!"
    Reed Hastings, already a master of Bad New Ideas (I'm saying it now people, it's going to be AMC time, and you are going to rue the day you said good things about House of Cards...) realized bad publicity wasn't worth it, and was "scared" back into normal behavior for the company. But in the end, the fault really wasn't HIS.

I've used my free month of HuluPlus to catch up on my Criterions, and that could use a lot MORE fixing: Hulu spends so much on getting alien Alec Baldwin to tell us to watch Modern Family and SNL, there's not as many vintage reruns, and apart from Criterion, their movie section is a ghost town. There's an example of a streaming service that put all its eggs in one basket, and let the crops starve. (Although with the Criterions out of the way, I ended up using Hulu to binge-view ALFTales and Cinematic Titanic, and get my Daily Show headline fix.)
    Netflix has now achieved what Facebook and Google have achieved: They are the Go-To Place, and have become all things to every customer. They have vintage reruns along with movies, and the occasional new movie if Epix remembers to send them one. Not perfect, but they've become the easy-chair smorgasbord that cable used to be in the 80's-90's before Honey Boo-Boo killed it, and is now publicly considered to have "defeated" cable. It ain't goin' anywhere just yet. At least either until something comes along to replace it (oo, streaming? :rolleyes: ), or until Reed decides to go the Hulu route and shove more obscure original British series down our throats, when we'd rather binge-view Star Trek, Alfred Hitchcock and Once Upon a Time.

(And btw, Sam, you ARE: There's one pipe-throwing Headline Hound on every board, who answers and re-answers his own posts with Today's Top Hot-Off-the-Press Link, and then thinks he's a "rebellious outlaw troll" when the regular posters tell him to stuff a sock in it, calm down, Sparky, and quit taking over the darn thread already. Every board.)

19. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    /shrug, you're welcome to put me on ignore. Not gonna hurt my feelings.

20. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Fascinating that Netflix is built on Amazon. I didn't know that. Since Amazon is moving into the content business, that seems risky. If Amazon Prime and Kindle are getting hurt by Netflix, they could turn them off.