Netflix BluRay Streaming

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ernest, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

I don't care if Netflix sets up ten websites I want them to roll back their pricing not get rid of Quickster. All my friends could give a hot about separate websites we want the prices changed to back to where they were. Otherwise we will find other alternatives.

2. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink
    http://seekingalpha.com/article/298845-why-netflix-could-be-bankrupt-within-a-year#

3. David Deeb

David Deeb Supporting Actor

David
    Netflix doesn't stream Blu-rays. (the title of the thread) I doubt you find Netflix rolling back their pricing. I also doubt you'll find Amazon, Hulu or other streaming services, suddenly start offering free DVD rentals by mail.

4. rayman1701

rayman1701 Second Unit
    Supporter

Ray Miller

Well that's almost what is happening with Dish Network's Blockbuster Movie Pack. If you have the $10 package that used to be called Platinum HD, you get free 1 out at a time, unlimited discs rentals from Blockbuster Online. Plus unlimited exchanges at a local Blockbuster and lots of different streaming options as well. With the whole Netflix/Quickster debacle, it just seems like they don't care about alienating customers like me who've been pretty loyal for over 10 years. So since I was already paying for the Dish Package, and was going to continue to do so, I'm getting a Netflix replacement for FREE. I could deal with a price increase here and there, but the whole Quickster announcement just seemed like they wanted out of the disc business, one way or another, so they lost me. And I never, ever thought I'd ever end up back at Blockbuster, but if I'm getting it free, why not. And if I want to go to the 3 out plan to be identical to Netflix, from what I understand it's $5 for each additional disc you add to the plan, so I'd just be paying $10 for the same service that Netflix is charging $20.

It's a shame really, as I truly loved the Netflix model when it started and were totally happy with it. I always just thought of the streaming as a nice extra that I didn't really use, so for them to basically say to the folks that got them off the ground, "Sorry", it just didn't sit right.

5. KMR

KMR Stunt Coordinator

Kevin
    I've never seen a company that had such outrageous contempt for the customers and potential customers. I have no interest in streaming; I prefer physical discs. Probably sometime soon I'll join a rental-by-mail plan, but it's looking more likely that it'll be Blockbuster, not Netflix. Has anyone (who doesn't have a Netflix account already) tried to find information on joining the Netflix DVD-only service? You cannot find it online! The only thing their website tells you about DVDs is that you can also get DVDs by paying an additional fee. The service is described ONLY in terms of being a streaming service, with the option of DVDs as an ADD-ON. (The way the website gives information is very insulting. It tells you very little of the actual details, implying that somebody who actually likes to look at the fine print when signing up for something, to see what their obligations and expectations really are, must be a worry-wart...)

6. David Wilkins

David Wilkins Supporting Actor

Netflix does seem nearly at war with physical media. Hastings has stated very clearly, and I paraphrase: "It's not that we don't turn an adequate profit from disc rental...it's that we turn a much better profit from streaming." I've been a Netflix customer for about seven years, and I just recently started a trial plan at Blockbuster...and I like what I'm seeing. Their stock of Criterion BD's, or anybody's BD's...especially catalogue titles, is far superior to Netflix...who have all but stopped stocking BD's, except for popular box office titles. For that matter, their supply of DVD's is dwindling rapidly. The "Saved" section of my Netflix queue, a "limbo" section for titles yet to be released (or temporarily or permanently not in stock), has easily quadrupled with titles once carried on DVD, during the past couple of months. The Blockbuster trial is going well enough that I expect to drop Netflix altogether in the very near future. I might keep the streaming-only plan for low priority impulse viewing, TV series, and such...but it's no place to be for DVD's or BD's.

7. Gromilini

Gromilini Agent

Michael Logan
    For those classic film enthusiasts out there, you might check out Classicflix.com--they're a pretty small outfit, but I've been satisfied with them so far. They work basically the same way Netflix & Blockbuster do. They rent physical media only--no streaming. Pros:
    • Amazing selection of classic releases. In addition to the regular studio pressed-disc offerings, they rent Warner Archive and other "burn on demand" titles. They also get pre-1970 Criterion titles, in both DVD and BD formats (if available)
    • Quick disc turnaround
    Cons:
    • They only offer classic films/TV that came out pre-1970
    • Fairly pricey
    • Long waits for popular titles
    They serve kind of a niche market, so it's not for everyone. But it enabled my wife and I to downgrade our Netflix account, which we only use now for newer-release Blu-rays.