What's new

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum Edition (1 Viewer)

ForresterW

Stunt Coordinator
There seem to be some animation change between the two releases...look at bottom third & bottom seventh picture from link above...

But what I want to ask is: how is renewal movies differ from original? and asides from its quality, is it worth up grading?

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
I don't see an animation change; just a slight repositioning of the image.

Based on those grabs, the new transfer has sharper colors and less grain but is far too contrasty, IMO.

By it being "no longer jittery" I assume it'll be progressive this time, rather than having bad 3:2 pulldown as part of the encode? I also hope they've corrected the film jumps at every edit of the first ten episodes or so. I appears they were still cutting their broadcast masters the old way, splicing 16mm prints together and airing directly from those. I was surprised to find that was still being done in 1995.

For you guys' sake, that is--I didn't take to the series like you did and will be dumping my box set and not upgrading--one of my few blind buys based on reputation that didn't work out this time. Enjoy your new discs! :)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Sorry the series didn't grab you, Jay. I think I'm going to get this one, though. Thanks for all the info, guys. :emoji_thumbsup:

ForresterW

Stunt Coordinator
eva01's eye is blacked out for the new release and Shinji and others are blacked out for the new release as well, while in older release you can see them slightly

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
That's the high-contrast problem I addressed. The artwork wasn't changed, they just transferred it (or color-corrected it) with the contrast set too high (IMO).

ForresterW

Stunt Coordinator
At first I also thought it was high contrast but looking at all the other screen captures closer it doesn't seem like it. All the other pictures, no matter how darker, didn't lose any detail if you look closely, except picture seventh from bottom. It seems altered to me.

But the second picture (third from bottom) looks definitely altered.

Just so you don't take it the wrong way, I'm not trying to debate. I'm just really interested in this release, I'm just not sure if it's worth the upgrade.

But what I really want to know is: what's the difference between renewal and original movies?

thank you =)

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Well, the darkest and lightest parts of the frame would be the most adversely affected by a high contrast setting, by definition.

For instance, I took the pic of Shinji from the old DVD from that site:

...and lowered brightness and raised contrast:

...which eliminated the details on Shinji just like the grab from the new DVD on that site:

(I didn't adjust the color)

Not arguing, either, just discussin'. :)

edit: I see what you mean about the eye on EVA-01, though. I guess we're both right! (Unless it isn't really the same frame, but I'm reachin'. :))

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
By it being "no longer jittery" I assume it'll be progressive this time, rather than having bad 3:2 pulldown as part of the encode?
No, the video was just jittery. Think unsteady camcorder. You'd be watching a still-shot of something, and it would appear to be vibrating slightly.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Oh, that's gate weave (the equipment allowing the film to waver back and forth as it's transferred to video). Another QC issue they should address!!

Progressive would still be desirable, too.

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
Over at the forum at www.animeondvd.com I was following a thread on the new Eva Platinum editions (until things started getting nasty...). I don't believe this new version is progressive (not that I really know what that means, but people seemed kinda upset about this). As far as the jitter goes, I get the impression that it is still there but so minor as to be hard to notice.

ShaunS

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Old thread gets dragged up because:

I saw the Platinum Collection is getting released on 11/22 in thinpaks and priced at DDD for 53.99! I was really surprised. I had added the separate releases to my wishlist then noticed they were gone. Did a search and saw the upcoming release. This is a great deal. I was planning to gradually pick up the discs but now I can get them in one fell swoop! Too bad its released after the sale, but what can you do?

James D

Second Unit
You're not missing the DDD sale on this title, even if it was already available. ADV is not allowing any of their titles to be sold during the DDD 20% off sale.:thumbsdown:

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
Why would ADV care for how much DDD sold their titles? Don't all distributors sell to retailers for a fixed price, so why would they care how much the retailers then sell over the counter? In any case this sounds like a good deal.

Chris S.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, turns out the slim pack release is stripped of the extra features. I'm a little annoyed, but I'm not THAT big on the extras either.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks