Neil Young's "Greendale" dvd-audio at Best Buy now...........

Discussion in 'Music' started by LanceJ, Mar 19, 2004.

1. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

.......if anybody cares.

Kind of confusing packaging though: seems to make a big deal over the stereo tracks (has a strange sticker with a double graphic of "Dvd-audio stereo" emblazoned on it, almost like someone hit the repeat button on their graphics software program); elsewhere the label proclaims the addition of a 5.1 surround mix too. Both are at 96/24 resolution. Cost was $14.99.

HFR review here.

Wasn't there supposed to be a set of dvd-audio titles from Neil that were strictly stereo, using the 192/24 format?

BTW: I wonder what "A Horse With No Name" would sound like in surround? I like that dreamy song a lot, and it reminds me of when I lived in tiny Page, Arizona waaaaaay back in '73 (I found out while living there that the desert can be a really beautiful place).

LJ

2. BillSherbon

BillSherbon Extra

I found this regarding the upcoming Neil Young releases:
    ---------
    Each album presented in 176 kHz/24-bit Advanced Resolution Stereo for DVD-Audio players. A 48 kHz/24-bit LPCM version is included for playback on any DVD-Video player.
    wsm-us.com/media/releases.lasso

(I don't have enough posts yet to put live links in, sorry)
    ---------

No surround, nuts. According to this site these will be out April 13:
    rhino.com/news/upcoming.lasso

3. JackJD

JackJD Stunt Coordinator

Picked it up Tuesday...

Another DVD-A that the hi-rez doesn't work correctly on the Pioneer 563-a (same as T-Rex...)

I would be upset if I didn't have a couple of other players that will play it correctly.

Just a heads up for you 563-a owners...

By the way, although the sound quality is fine, unfortunately, I believe this album (musically/ lyrically/ melodically/ arrangement-wise) to be pretty weak...

I like Neil Young...

You better REALLY like Neil Young... A LOT... to really enjoy this one.

...Enjoy the Music... -JD

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

Fantastic!

5. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Thanks for the heads up Lance. I will be looking for this one today. Having not bought the CD, waiting for the DVD-A that was announced, I am not really sure what to expect.

Anyone have thoughts on the music?

J

6. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

I love -- love -- Neil Young and couldn't be more bored by "Greendale." By and large, it's a bunch of Jimmy Reed-based blues riffs stretched out in 6 minute blocks. And not in a good, hypnotic, Crazy Horse way, either. Lyrically impeneterable, musically stagnant. Doesn't really hold a candle to even mid-level Young.

I'm tempted by most any DVD-A and I saw this a week ago and just walked on by.

7. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

According to Rhino's web page, On the Beach and American Stars & Bars will be multichannel. I guess that's what the hold up was.

8. Van Patton

Van Patton Second Unit

Wow Stu, I love Greendale!!! I think it is Neil's best work in a long time.

9. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Lance, "A Horse With No Name" is NOT Neil Young. It is America off of their first record. It does pretty much sound exactly like him though. I LOVE America's DVD-Audio of Homecoming.