What's new

Neil Armstrong has died (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
It is being reported by numerous news organisations that Neil Armstrong has died.
I know that the many American readers on this forum will feel an especial loss, but so will the rest of the world. Whatever you think about the virtues (or otherwise) of the Apollo programme, Armstrong stood for a defining moment in world history, arguably the single most important moment in the 20th century. He could have been forgiven if after his experience he became a rampant egoist, but the man remained modest and unassuming for the rest of his days. I am reminded of (of all things) some lines from an Elton John song - 'If one in ten could be that brave, I would never hate again'. RIP.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Neil Armstrong was a childhood hero of mine and no doubt thousands (if not millions) of others the world over. As Andrew pointed out, despite being the focal point of of one of the greatest achievements in human history, he never sought the spotlight - he saw himself as just part of an amazing team that made the moon landings possible. And that, in my book, makes him even more of a hero.

Thank you, Mr. Armstrong, for your service to our country and to humanity. R.I.P.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Sad News :( However, he lived to the ripe old age of 82.
Tonight, in Tribute to him I am watching the Movie X-15 (He was part of that program before he flew in the Gemini and Apollo Programs), as well as an Episode of Lassie called "Bird of Prey" (Which mentions the X-15, which was going full tilt at the time (Early 1960s)). RIP Niel, you've taken your "Final Leap".

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It's weird to know you've shared the earth with someone who's stepped foot where no man had gone before. I hope another person will step foot on humanity's next great frontier, Mars, so that the children being born tomorrow will know the feeling.
A man of class, intellect and courage.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
My son's middle name is Neil as a tribute. He and I are in sad acceptance of the passing of a great American and great human being.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I can remember wanting to be an astronaut and going to the Moon, partly due to Neil Armstrong.

RIP, Mr. Armstrong. It must have been truly something to walk on another world.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Every American who was alive in July, 1969 remembers where they were when Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon. I was only 7 years old, but still clearly remember watching the event with all my family, including parents, grandparents and aunts/uncles.
RIP, Mr. Armstrong. You are a true American hero.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Scott Merryfield said:
Every American who was alive in July, 1969 remembers where they were when Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon. I was only 7 years old, but still clearly remember watching the event with all my family, including parents, grandparents and aunts/uncles.
RIP, Mr. Armstrong. You are a true American hero.
I was just barely 9 years old at the time, but like you, remember it very clearly. Certain things in your childhood just stick with you and that was definitely one of them.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Yeah, I was nine as well, watching this magnificent event on crummy 12" b/w TV with the rest of my family, with a roof antenna that wobbled in the wind, could barely make out what was going on on the screen ;)
A true hero, to be sure. Unfortunately, I don't think they make them like that anymore...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks