needing a receiver upgrade, i'm way behind in the times

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JoeGibs, Oct 26, 2013.

1. JoeGibs

JoeGibs Stunt Coordinator

Alright! I've been running my yamaha HTR-5280 since the beginning of time. It has served me well, but I believe it may be time to upgrade. Let me start by saying i love my music, at ear bleeding volumes. I however use the same stereo to watch tv and movies, so sounding good at a reasonable volume was a must. I grew up in the audio world by means of car. I spent my entire weekends and every waking moment working on improving the sound. As a result, my poor beat up ears have learned to hear every imperfection, whether it be a dull white noise in the background or a click in the audio from the furnace kicking in.

Currently, my setup is the htr5280 feeding out to two amplifiers. amplifier 1 is the behringer nu3000 running two 15" dayton titanic 15's in a ported enclosure. amplifier 2 is a crown xli1500 running a pair of these:http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/alpha12-kit.html

My tv's only audio output is fiber, so from there it feeds into the receiver. I don't have, and refuse to get any cable service, however I am running an OTA antenna, along with my xbox and a dvd player. I don't watch much tv, but I listen to music... pretty much every waking minute i'm at home.

I'm far behind on the latest and greatest, but in my quick research i've discovered there's such a thing as a wireless receiver?? So, I must have. I'm quite sick of stringing this 25' RCA cable across the walls of my living room from my command central desk/computer table to the stereo side of the room. A friend also once mentioned that running stereo wireless in this manor gives a better sound than running cables. At first I had doubts, but then recalling my car audio days and how running cables across the path of other cables adds to interference and picking up crap from other cables... well, i can only imagine how much shit my cables are picking up running across all sorts of power wires in the walls.

SO! educate me. is wireless the way to go? If so, perhaps steer me in the direction of some receivers I should be investigating. I do not at all mind picking up 2-3 year old models with similar features to the new ones to save $$.

after finishing the towers and working on re-arranging the living room.
    IMG_0955.JPG

2. Type A

Type A HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Ty
    Just my opinion but it seems to me you have far bigger issues than an outdated receiver. Hardwood floors, speakers right up against the walls, inconsistent speaker placement and not a bass trap in sight. I would rearrange and treat the room acoustics before upgrading any gear. Do those Daytons' have a phase control? Running them that close together it seems you would run into some serious cancellation issues.

3. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I'm assuming the wireless in question is Bluetooth.That works source to pre-amp. Whoever said it was flawless and better than wire was lying to themselves.Unless he meant networked.Your speaker placement leaves a lot to be desired, but...I don't think you need a new AVR. OTA doesn't require HDMI and you make no mention of Blu Ray.