What's new

Need Your Opinion On this projector (1 Viewer)

enerplex1

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
I am looking for a projector to buy can some one tell if this is a good one??? link at the bottom consider that i am on a thigh budget and i do want 1080p and also 100 inches so this is the only way to go??? some guy at a local store told me that this projector was the best bang for your buck if you are looking for a used one haven't been able to find good articles on it except one that said that it was a very good projector for the price but need more info. Also i found like 89 dollar and lower replacement bulbs online . http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001IO3C6Q/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sanyo projectors were great. Panasonic bought Sanyo and killed it. I have no idea, for you, if that is a good projector. Why? What is your throw distance? Light controlled, or not? Shelf, wall, ceiling or table mount? Without knowing those three things...AT LEAST, nobody has any business recommending a projector. Period.

enerplex1

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
Hi thanks for responding and helping!!! It Is shelf mounted and controlled light. The throw distance is around 12ft but i am not relay worried about that because i read that this projector is has unusual abilities when it comes to throw distance and lens shift i know it will be fine. The image will be projected at 100". What i am more interested is will this projector project a good image at 100" ??? would you recommend it for this purpose under this condition??? and aslo have you had any experience with any 1080p sanyo projector??? thank you

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
With a 12' throw and 100" diagonal screen, the foot lamberts will be only 15. That's the "minimum" amount you want for front projection, and that is with a new bulb. Who knows the condition of the bulb in that thing. That was a problem with Sanyo projectors for many years, TOO DIM. There is no way that projector is worth that price. Also, it first came out 5 years ago. Too old and outdated. And buying a used projector is VERY risky. And the seller talks about how much warranty is left. Sanyo no longer makes projectors, and the warranty probably wasn't transferable anyway. Save up a couple hundred more dollars and you can buy a new 1080p projector.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum :) Just about any LCD projector will be very flexible, and bright, should be fine for all but the most demanding install situations. I owned the Sanyo PLV Z2000 for years and it was a very solid projector, sold on amazon with 2k hours on the original bulb for $450. I think the asking price for this used 700 might be a little high, seems like a meh deal. Have you checked videogon? With your throw and screen size and good light control you have more options than just LCD.

enerplex1

Auditioning
Real Name
mike
Thanks for the info.. The guy states that the projector bulb has over 2000 hr left on the projector and the guy lowered the price for 699. I think the prize is good for a 1080p its about the best price vs performance i found on amazon the only thing holding me back is if the image going to be dark when playing a movie with dark seen. My friend has an older projector that cant handle dark scenes at all.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
$699 is still too much for that projector. The fact that he says the bulb has over 2,000 hours left on the projector means nothing. ANY bulb can go out at ANY time. A couple questions: 1) Will the projector have ANY warranty? I doubt it. 2) Is there ANY return policy if you don't like it, or it doesn't work properly?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Amazon allows you to buy outside warranties. Jim has a pre-conceived hatred of used projectors. I boight my JVC as a used floor demo that already was on its 2nd bulb. I paid over $5000 for mine. But mine still came with the original warranty, another bulb and a 5yr extended. Thay is not to much for one of those. However I'd hit up Ebay to find one for less.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
schan1269 said:
Amazon allows you to buy outside warranties. Jim has a pre-conceived hatred of used projectors.
No. All I've ever said is buying a used projector is very risky. And it is. I'm talking about a used projector with no warranty. NOT a used one like you bought Sam(with original warranty). $700 for that 5 year old projector is not a good deal. As far as buying an outside warranty, that's fine. Add that cost in and it makes this bad deal even worse.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
I would certainly not assume 2000 hours remaining on that lamp. If you seek good blacks LCD probably wont cut it. Ive owned DLP LCD and DILA and the LCD was the worst with blacks and dark scenes. DLP will have a very limited zoom (IE limited throw range) but will give you better contrast and better dark performance in your price range. IMO buying a used projector is not risky as long as you are smart about your choice. This opinion is based on four used projectors over 10 years, not one failure of any kind. Only thing I wont buy is used disk players; blu ray, cd, dvd, game consoles ect...though my used 360 is still going strong after a year of use (I only paid $100 for it). Ive had a used PS3 drive fail and a used JVC DVD player drive fail...

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
True. And it might be 5 years old. The point is you just don't know. And you don't know how many hours are actually on the projector either. The only way to know this is to be able to get into the service menu. You seem determined to buy it, so all I can say is good luck. Why didn't you answer my questions in post #7?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Type A said:
I would certainly not assume 2000 hours remaining on that lamp. If you seek good blacks LCD probably wont cut it. Ive owned DLP LCD and DILA and the LCD was the worst with blacks and dark scenes. DLP will have a very limited zoom (IE limited throw range) but will give you better contrast and better dark performance in your price range. IMO buying a used projector is not risky as long as you are smart about your choice. This opinion is based on four used projectors over 10 years, not one failure of any kind. Only thing I wont buy is used disk players; blu ray, cd, dvd, game consoles ect...though my used 360 is still going strong after a year of use (I only paid $100 for it). Ive had a used PS3 drive fail and a used JVC DVD player drive fail...
And I've never bought a new DVD or BD player. My first CD player was a Sanyo single disc off QVC(I think it was QVC back then) for $225 with 6 "easy pay". Promptly got tired of one disc and found a Pioneer 6 disc in a pawn shop for $150. Got tired of the magazine, sold that and bought a used Technics carousel. Sold that one when digital output "became cheap" and bought another used Technics. Out of all the VCR/CD/DVD/CED/BD/LD players I've had, around 100 would be a safe guesstimate, only 4...if that many, have been NIB.

JOHNnNM

Grip
Real Name
John Stockton
Man, I'd hit up the new Benq 1080p 3d if I were you and call it a day..... But you would have to move it closer. No way I would consider any projector that did not rock on 3D these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks