What's new

Need tv advice, most likely 36" Wega. (1 Viewer)

AndyT

Auditioning
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for a little advice on a new TV for my mom/stepfather/brother at their house. Right now they have a 19" Sony tv which is over 20 years old. They've never owned anything bigger so I am kind of undecided about the size they should move to.
I like the 42" 16:9 hdtv's from Hitachi and Toshiba, but a few things kind of bother me about them.
  1. It's a rear projection, and I have this idea that they don't last the longest and have numerous little issues.
  2. Viewing angle on most RPTV's leaves much to be desired.
  3. HDTV is far from being standard now, and will require a new sattelite receiver down the road, might as well just wait till it's all cheaper/newer later on.
  4. They don't own a dvd player, and while they might get one with a new tv, they probably won't use it too often. All they use a tv for now is watching sattelite tv (ppv movies too) primarily in the late fall to early spring. They might start to rent movies more when they have a dvd player, but only time will tell.
2 reasons why a 16:9 ratio hdtv would be nice are...
  1. If I talk them into an X-Box, wide screen 2 player is much nicer than 2 player on a 4:3 tv :P they've played a couple racing games and snowboarding games and had lots of fun, and I think that wide screen 2 player would get them more interested than reg screen single player/2 player.
  2. If they do get a DVD player and start to use it a lot, then they are set. PPV movies are mainly wide screen as well so that's better.
My mom says she would like to spend around $2000canadian on a new tv, and this kind of limits them to a 36" tube tv. The Sony Wega KV-36FS100 is $1899ca and of course I have heard good things about it. There is also the Toshiba 36AF62 Flat which is $1999ca. I'm going to assume the Wega is better just because that's what other people are saying to me. These are 2 options I was looking at. With a stand, we're looking at around maybe $2100 + tax + dvd player/cables/whatever. I want the flat screen because, well, it's better. and the current non-flat tube tv they have suffers from horrible glare in the later afternoon thanks to the high windows near the peak of the vaulted ceiling, and I;m hoping the flat tube will help this.
Oh yeah, I fugured out how far they will be from the tv and the closest spot is about 6' and the furthest spot on one of the couches is close to 15' (or so my stepfather figures, I didn't bother to measure it) I figured this info would help. Keep in mind though that they've always had to watch from these distances even with a 19" tv. I know that after a while the "wow" factor will fade and it won't seem as big anymore, but I am kind of planning on this. if they go tube now, 5 years from now they will want to get an hdtv anyways, so the Wega can always be put in the basement livingroom to replace the 19" there. In the end it will all work out :P a big screen upstairs might mean my little brother will be stuck with a 19" 12-channel tv forever, and that would suck for him :P
Can anyone give me some good reasons why I might want to push them for the 42" Toshiba 16:9 HDTV for $2499? If I can give my mom good enough reasons she might be willing to go this way. Or heck, can anyone suggest a smaller, better tv than the 36" Wega that might better suit them based on the above?
Any input would be greatly appreciated. It's thursday now and my mom is going to figure out exactly what they can spend on a new tv this weekend, and then she'll send me out to shop. I just figured I would look around and try and find something now so when I get the go ahead I can just run out and buy something rather than wait till then to start my research :P
Thanks very much guys. I'm liking the forum alot already. I've been reading a lot of threads and while they have helped some, I still like to get some input on this situation rather than choose based on someone elses.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well it seems to me that 1 a widescreen tv would not be the best for this situation, lets be honest a 16x9 tv is an option for people looking to watch mostly widescreen material, you have stated pretty clearly that they wont (hehhe you just perfer the WS for your own uses, but that isn't their use.) givent he fact that they currently have a 19" I would like to suggest the Toshiba 32HFX71 or 72. this you should be able to find for 2200 easily and you cna likely talk them down to 2000 or so (canadian dollars) Its one hell of a tv its HD ready and pretty close to your price range, as well at 32" they will still be wowed compared to the 19" this is also a nice tv to get them used to what a good line doubler can do and other advanced features, which means in a few years if they go for a widescreen RPTV they will be able to get HD on both tvs, and well it is a logical progression, from what you have said i just dont think they would like either the stretching or the burn in of not stretching a WS tv right now.

again this is just my two cents, i will also be the first to admit i am biased to toshiba, i own one and before i bought it i came to the conclusion that amony toshiba panasonic and sony direct view sets, toshiba offers the best picture at the best price.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I wouldn't assume that the Sony would be better than the Toshiba.
I don't know, man. John's advice above makes a lot of sense. But...
I recently had to replace a 35" direct view, and I went with the Tosh 42H81 (last year's model). I haven't regretted my purchase for a minute. I love the widescreen format, DVDs look fantastic, and if the folks are really lazy, they can just leave it on TheaterWide 1.
The people here are very picky about their picture quality. They tweak because they can. But the "casual" viewer might very well settle for less work and lower pq and be very happy.
You'd have to help them set it up and turn down the contrast. You or they can do a 9-pt. convergence, or they can use the "touch focus button." If you want, you can get into the service menu and do more stuff, but most casual viewers don't need to do this.
I think there's a lot of "wow" waiting for you and them with the 42" RPTV.
But...John's advice makes sense, too. Your call!
Jan

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Jan I have always wondered why your advice is so sound..... now i see judging from your new Sig i can clearly see that YOU ARE the man, it all makes sense.

lol

But seriously Andy I think you have to discuss these options with your parents.

Tom Weeks

Stunt Coordinator
I own both a Sony wega (27in) and a Toshiba (36AFX61). In my opinion there is no contest, the Toshiba absolutely blows the Sony away in every detail. The picture is much more vivid (both hooked up to Dishnetwork). The audio is far superior (Sony-10 watts, Toshiba 33 watts). Inputs: Sony 1 s-video, 1 set component, 1 set rca: toshiba--2 s-video, 1 set component, 3 sets rca (2/rear, 1 front). I had bought the Toshiba on the advice of the dealer (I went in there looking for a 36 Wega). He said there was no comparison and he was right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks