What's new

Need to replace Optoma HD8000 projector (1 Viewer)

wonderbill

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill Ruvinsky
My 3 year old Optoma HD 8000 1080p projector is ailing. The color balance is off and can't be fixed. (Green is too bright in night scenes and too dark in bright scenes.) I bought a color calibration DVD and wasn't able to fix the color imbalance. Another problem is that it powers off when it loses the source signal for even a split second, so I can't switch between Blu-ray and cable TV easily. This all happened after a serious power surge.

I have the optoma ceiling-mounted in a basement windowless room with a 120 inch screen and connectedto a blu-ray player.
So, my thoughts were:
1) repair
2) replace

REPAIR
I'm pretty much decided against repairing. the bulb is near the end of its life and it's three years old. No guarantee I'll be pleased with the repair. The repair would probably cost $300 to $400. Bulb another $260.

REPLACE
So I'm seriously thinking of replacing.
My first choice is to go cheap with an Optoma HD20 ($850 or so). It seems decent but the contrast ratio listed in the specs isn't as good (HD8000 is 10,000:1 vs HD20 is 4,000:1). I also hear fan noise is an issue for some users.
My second choice is the Optoma HD803 ($1700). I'm not inclined to spend twice what it costs for the HD20, but this unit looks like its specs are close to my old HD8000. (8000:1 contrast).

Any suggestions would be welcome. Do you think I would be happy with an HD20 after having the HD8000? Are there any other projects for under $1,000 that I should consider? How important is contrast in a window-less room?

Thanks, Bill

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I agree with replacing it. But do yourself a favor, and DO NOT choose a projector because it has a higher reported contrast ratio. That spec is total marketing BS. Go by the reviews. The contrast spec that matters is the ANSI contrast(after calibration for home theater). The HD20 is said to be loud only in high power mode. The Benq W1000+ is a better projector under $1,000, but it has a 3x color wheel speed. If you're sure you don't see rainbows, it's a very nice, bright projector. But my first choice would be the new Mits. HC4000 for about $1,200. Check out the reviews at Projectorcentral.com and Projectorreviews.com. ANSI contrast is very important in a window-less room. And the darker the room's paint scheme, the better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks