What's new

Need suggestions for Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo device (1 Viewer)

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Hi,
My basement PC is currently connected to an older CRT monitor and I plan on connecting it to my 37" LCD TV instead. Once I do that however, I'll need to use some type of wireless keyboard and mouse setup. Ideally, I'd like to find something that is an all in one unit with either a trackpad, trackball, or pointing stick integrated into the keyboard. I'm also trying to do this as inexpensively as possible. My guess is RF is the way to go due to the position of the tower and I really don't want to buy a bluetooth adapter for this machine so bluetooth is out. Any suggestions?

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I am partial to the logitech keyboard and mouse setups. You can pretty much get whatever type of layout you want from them. I would pick one up at Best Buy or Circuit City or Amazon as you will pay less than MRSP and if you don't like you can take it back.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
You may want to consider the Logitech diNovo Edge, which is a Media PC keyboard. This includes a touchpad mouse and a bluetooth USB adapter good for up to 30 feet. Price is under $150.

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I just purchased a wireless Logitech mouse, (can't help with the combo consideration) but have been really pleased with all logitech purchases I have made in the past in keyboards and 'meese'.

Another recomendation for the 'brand'.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
That Logitech diNovo Edge is the first external keyboard I've seen with a built in mouse-pad. Neat. Alon, have you used the diNovo with it resting on your legs/knees? Does that work, or does it need to be on a desk? Some of the reviews indicate the bottom might be curved.

SQMonte

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rich
I just bought a Logitech S510 cordless desktop and I love it, although I am upgrading the mouse to the Logitech VX Revolution. But besides the uninspired mouse that comes with this set, I have no complaints.

My problem with the mouse is that it's not very ergonomic, the VX should take care of that, while giving me other features to have fun with as well.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I bought the Logitech diNovo two years ago. At that point it
cost $200 for the keyboard/mouse combination, but by far, it
was worth every penny.

Two months ago I bought a Mac. Though the diNovo keyboard
and mouse worked with the Mac, it didn't support the extra
key functions that Mac requires. I ended up ditching the diNovo
and bought the Logitech S510 combination that Rich mentioned above.

The Logitech s510 is....okay. After coming off of a diNovo, no
lesser priced keyboard and mouse is going to come close. For
most people, the s510 is probably perfect and I would recommend
a purchase if you don't want to splurge for the diNovo. However,
as Rich states, the mouse is "uninspired" and I'm not too crazy
that the Mac keyboard only came in (yuck!) WHITE!

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm looking for something a bit more affordable. I've found the BTC 9019. It's a wireless keyboard with a small thumbstick mouse and it uses RF. Looks like it can be had for around $50. I think I may give this one a go.

BTW, longtime Mac user here (Feb of 99!) but I bought the PC cheap as I couldn't find a used mac for the right price and since I didn't have a Windows box I figured it was good to have for those things that require Windows.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
you're probably not picky about it, but keep in mind how the home/end/pgup/pgdn/delete/insert layout is, if you're used to it one way it might be a bother to adjust. also keep in mind - range, if you plan on moving it around from desk to couch, etc. not all ranges are the same.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Thanks, yeah the Home Page Up/Down layout isn't a big deal. As for range, I'm anticipating I'll mostly be using it on the couch only a few feet from the receiver so I think that should work out fine. I found it cheap on Ebay so I put a bid in, we'll see if I'm able to get it for even less than I thought. Then to just go get a long VGA cable to connect to my LCD TV and I'll be all set.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
well i got my VGA cable the other night and hooked up the computer to the LCD TV. I'm less than impressed. I can't seem to get it so that it's not scaling it and it also seems that my couch is a bit too far away for comfortable reading of web sites unless i jack the text size way up. The scaling is not really noticeable on icons but it is on text. Now I'm not sure if i'll even connect it to the TV or just keep it connected to my 17" CRT thus negating the need to buy a wireless keyboard/mouse setup. The cable only set me back about 10 bucks so if i decide to stick with the current setup it's not like it'll end up costing me much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks