What's new

Need suggestions for good inexpensive DVD player (1 Viewer)

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
I want to give my folks a new DVD player for Christmas since their current one, a Panasonic A120, has difficulty reading/playing movies on DVD+R media. I would like something inxexpensive, but with good PQ, it doesn't even have to have a progressive scan output, just component video as well output DTS/DD.

Of course, I could just give them my Panasonic RP91 and get something to replace that...:b

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up a JVC XV-N40BK for my inlaws for Christmas based on many good reviews I've read here. JVC is currently offering a $20.00 rebate, which means this player can be found for less than $70.00, after rebate. The great thing about this player is that it can handle a ton of formats, and do it well according to many here; DVD, CD, CD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, VCD, SVCD, mp3, JPEG. Oh by the way, it outputs DD/DTS, has component outs, and is progressive scan also. PS, it doesn't have the chroma problem either.

James R. Geib

Stunt Coordinator
If you're willing to invest around $180, the Pioneer DV-563A is a no-brainer. It is relatively inexpensive, but for what if offers, it is the best value out there.

Progressive scan, SACD, DVD-Audio, and most other recordable formats are supported.

Recent reviews were very positive, and as an owner, I highly recommend it.

James

SherriK

Auditioning
Check out the JVC XV-N55SL. I am giving my
Toshiba to my parents and buying this one.
It has everything you want now and maybe
later for $85.74 after rebate. And it has
great reviews.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Sorry, but IMHO, the JVCs suck. The picture is extremely soft, with lots of posterization. Also, they have a problem with pans (they stutter).

I'd get either a Sony or a Pioneer, or even a Toshiba. Mind you, the Toshiba is a bit noisy.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
How about the latest Panasonic players? Eventhough they aren't part of the DVD+R camp my two Panasonic players can play DVD+R discs. How about the Sony players?

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Well, the newest Panny are supposed to have the chroma bug, so I'd steer clear of them.

The latest Sonys seem fine for regular interlaced play (I checked them out yesterday).

Lisa Menin

Agent
I have had a JVC N40BK for about a month and really like it. Good picture quality, easy to use, plays all of my dvds. Hard to beat for the money.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The new Sony, Panasonic, and Toshibas all have the chroma bug. The JVC's do not. The JVC N40BK and N50BK are the best bargain in the under $100 area right now. They play all formats (DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW, VCD/SVCD on CDR/RW, all MP3/WMA/JPG) and load fast

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
The new Sony, Panasonic, and Toshibas all have the chroma bug. The JVC's do not. The JVC N40BK and N50BK are the best bargain in the under $100 area right now. They play all formats (DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW, VCD/SVCD on CDR/RW, all MP3/WMA/JPG) and load fast

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
A number of reports of the pan problem with the JVC-50 & 55, (stutters as the camera pans), but at the same time my JVC-50 and others, do not seem to have this apparent problem.

As far a picture quaility, mine has a fantastic picture and absolutly NO stutter problem, this on a 50" screen. Also, highly picture tweakable, mega feature laiden, loads as fast as a rocket, and as mentioned, plays just about everything.

We also have the JVC-XV-NP1 progressive player with the digital meda card reader slots, and this player has no problems either. Picture is just "slightly" softer than our XV-N50BK. Just as feature laiden and picture tweakable as the 50.

IMO the 50 and 55 are excellent value players at well under a 100.00 ~{if you get a good one apparently}~. I don't know if these reported probems are just spoty bad units or what!
But certainly NOT every JVC-50 or 55 player is wacked out

Both our supposed junk JVC players have worked flawlessly since purchased aprox 3-1/2 months ago.

Lets hope it stays that way...:emoji_thumbsup:

well crap...i got on here and read all these wonderful thingks about hte jvc 50bk and now i hear it sux

im getting it for xmas so im not sure what to do..i guess ill try it and see

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Right now www.ecost.com has the JVC 44 on "Bargain Countdown" for the next 40 hours or so for $59.00 after a $20.00 rebate. They also have free shipping on it. For $60.00 you can't go wrong with the JVC. Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks