What's new

Need Suggestions for a Great $50.00 Remote (1 Viewer)

Mike H Wizard

Stunt Coordinator
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I Need Help finding a Great $50.00 Remote and would like some of your suggestions...

I would really like the MX-500 but WF won't let me spend that much...

Options I would like to have on the Remote:

1. Illuminating Keys
2. Easy to Control (Wife Freindly Factor)
3. Macros
4. Punch Through Volume for my Receiver

Any Suggestions?

Please let me know your suggestions and why it is a great remote...

Thank you in advance,

Mike H Wizard

shankar

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the RCU810 remote by RCA for $39. This is an integral part of my HT now. My whole family loves it. The 5 year old can navigate using this. It has all the features that you are seeking and more. Read my review at epinions.com here

Cheers.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Get a Radio Shack 15-2117 or One for All 9910 and have RF capability as well for $50. Or, save a few dollars and get a Radio Shack 15-2116 or One for All 8910 for $30.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
All of the mentioned remotes are made by Universal Electronics and have many of the same functions and use many of the same codes. They all have Volume punch through and macros. The advantage to the Radio Shack and One for All remotes is that they will accept advanced codes and have the Key Mover function that the RCA doesn't. For more about advanced codes and these remotes, check out www.hifi-remote.com.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The One-For-All Cinema 7 is legendary for about $20. It has punch-through, macros, can take advanced/descrete codes, and can learn commands from existing remotes.

It has "Glow" buttons, but not backlit buttons.

There are even plans for small cables so you can program it from your computer using a kludge of some software and spreadsheets.

www.remotecentral.com is a great place to research all remotes, and learn more about the OFA7.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Dude,

Spend a little more and get the Kameleon remote from Radio Shack. It is the coolest remote ever made.

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
If the WAF is very important, talk toyour wife about getting a few more bucks and trying to get a Pronto TS1000. These can be had for as low as $80 (factory refurbed) and with the right time and effort in programming it, can be sooooo easy to use. It took some time for my wife to get used to it (and hiding the other remotes), but now she uses it easily. And it's great when the grandparents come over to babysit.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Spend a little more and get the Kameleon remote from Radio Shack. It is the coolest remote ever made.
Preach on! Finally someone else appreciates the best/coolest damn $60 remote made! :)

My wife loves it (as do I). I replaced my Sony AV2100 which she hated because it was bulky and unfriendly to use.

Get the Kameleon, you won't regret it!

Alfer

MikeSRC

Second Unit
You might also want to consider that One for All is coming out with an improved version of the Kameleon in a few months that will support 8 devices, have more learning, buttons and macro capability. It also has a more streamlined form. Although it will retail for $90, it likely will be widely available for close to the same price as the Radio Shack version.

Mike H Wizard

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for all of your Help...

Does the Radio Shack 15-2117 have a JP1 connector already on the remote or would I have to solder a connector?

Which remotes in your opinion are better the Radio Shack or One for All Remotes?

MikeSRC

Second Unit
I'm pretty sure that the 2117 has the JP1 pins built in, but many of the JP1 cables come with male-to-male adapters that you would just have to hold down in the remote's JP1 socket. Many people prefer the button layout of the Radio Shack remotes to the One for All, but take a look at each and see which one you prefer.

pat_hamm

Auditioning
Kameleon! Kameleon! Kameleon!

I have it and I love it, too! Not only is it super cool, it's easy to use for my wife and for me. Getting a remote that my wife can handle was important in my decision as well, and the Kameleon was the perfect solution.

Alan M

Second Unit
Ill put my 2cents worth in also.Get the kameleon,4 macro buttons,the look of an lcd,with the tactile feel of buttons.It controls my Ht which has 6 components from 6 different manufacturers.
Best cheap upgrade Ive done yet.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
"IMO the Kameleon is way cooler than the Pronto. "

Uhhh nah sorry not even close :)

I extensively checked out the Kameleon I was going to spend
the $59.00 at Rat Shack and buy it simply as a cheap toss
around remote to save wear and tear on my Pronto Pro.

It's a cool remote no doubt.. But like every other One4All
it lacks labeling.. It can control "most" features of your
average system but once again like all the other One4All's
you can't custom label buttons to do special functions.

My Pro controls every single button on every single OEM
remote and every button is clearly labeled as they were on
the OEM's. Sure the Pronto's aren't cheap especialy the Pro's
but aside from a PDA there is nothing that comes "remote"ly
close to the power of the Pronto.

But for $60.00 the Kameleon is still cool! I still may buy
one just to run my cheap TV and Shelf system in my bedroom
:)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Uhhh nah sorry not even close
So now my opinion is incorrect?? How's that?

The fatal problem with the Pronto (and other LCD remotes) is that you have to look at the remote to use it. The Kameleon has this problem also, but to a much lesser extent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks