What's new

Need Suggestions for a DV Camera... (1 Viewer)

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
I am looking to spend 1,000-1,500 or so.

1: Looking for normal DV 480i (not 1080i), but with good picture quality, IE very little noise/grain like the lower-end models have

2: A camera that can take mods like lenses, I know I want a wide-angle lens...

3: Don't care about still photos

4: Needs FireWire output (will be editing on PC)

5: Nightvision would be nice, but it's not required

6: Whatever else I am forgetting that's good. I will be doing hobby DV Film-Making with it...

Thanks in advance, guys.

(If this is in the wrong section, please move it. This is the only place I could find where I figured it would go...)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
DV film making with 480i? tsk tsk! ;)

I love this web site for checking out the latest reviews. Still no decent HDV camera that will do it all under $2gs, but you should find several in your pricepoint for what you want. I prefer JVC brand.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
When shooting 16:9 widescreen, most camcorders just crop their 4:3 image. I don't know if there are any camcorders that shoot true 16:9 images in your price range.

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator

I have seen some MiniDV cameras that take USB and don't seem to have FireWire. Like the JVC GZ-MC500US...

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
Panasonic PV-GS250 is what I am eyeing up. Butterflyphoto has it for just under 700, and I am going to add on a wide-angle lens (A must for shooting in a tiny apt like mine), 5-hour battery, UV lens (basically a lens protectoer I guess) and maybe a filter set.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
That model uses a Microdrive or Compact Flash, not MiniDV. All MiniDV camcorders have Firewire.

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
There's still time before I pull the trigger to reccomend some more cameras. I can't seem to find one in my price range that performs well under low light conditions. The Panny looks good, other than that one flaw...

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Are you looking at 3-chip cameras? Lower priced 3-chippers tend to have smaller CCDs than one-chippers, which hurts their low-light performance.

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I guess I am looking for 3-chippers because that seems to be a requirement for a good picture. I have used a Canon ZR60 and found that I was not impressed with it's picture at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks