What's new

Need suggestion for DTS-decoding DVD player (1 Viewer)

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
I have a Denon 3200 receiver with DD decoding (and I have a Sony DVD player - the 330, if I recall), and I'm perfectly happy with it. But, I'd like to get on the DTS bandwagon.
Can anyone recommend a reasonable (under $400) DVD player with built-in DTS decoding?
J&R has a Sony DVP-C670D (which Sony's site says has DTS decoding), and a Technics DVD-A10N DVD-Audio Player, both in my price range.
Also, if I buy such a player, can I/should I let the Denon do the DD decoding?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
[Edited last by Stu Rosen on August 17, 2001 at 08:18 PM]

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Stu,
A receiver or pre/pro equipped with DD and DTS is actually the component that does the decoding/processing (unless a DVD player has built-in provisions for decoding both digital sound formats, in which case you only need the necessary channels of amplification. Somehow I don't think that's what you are after, though).
Your Denon 3200 receiver appears to process DD signals only and is not equipped to do DTS, so you still need a DTS processor even if you get an standalone DVD player capable of outputting DTS in addition to DD (AC-3) signals.
One solution to this quandry is to add an outboard DTS processor (Millenium 2.4.6, etc.) IF the 3200 allows it (can the pream/amp sections be separated?). Then you can add a DTS-capable DVD player.
I just got in a Skyworth DVD-1050p progressive scan (480p -it outputs both wideband component video and RGB signals!) DVD player that has just about every desirable feature available, including DTS playback capability, S-VHS and component video (480i) output signals (no composite video, though), and it sports the new Faroudja 10-bit processing chip, one that no other standalone DVD player that I know of has it so far regardless of price range!.
It even has a built-in 5.1 channel processor (which I don't use since I prefer a pre/pro to do the processing) for those who might want one.
I purchased the DVD-1050p machine from Hong Kong (HIVIZONE Audio Visual Company; they are on the Internet) for the measly sum of $260 plus $80 shipping (hey, what the heck!). The thing isn't too pretty to look at and is rather light in weight, but it is NTSC/PAL compatible, plays all sort of video and audio formats -and then some. It took a while to get here but was worth the wait.
Although personally preferring HT-PCs to play DVDs with, I wanted this machine because of its incredible features.
Anyway...is just an idea...
-THTS
[Edited last by frank manrique on August 18, 2001 at 05:04 AM]

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
I don't think I was clear in my last post. What I want to do is buy a DVD player that has a built-in DTS decoder, and then send the channels to my Denon receiver which, now, will not decode the signal but will merely send the channels through to my speakers.
Hope this clarifies.

JohanK

Second Unit
The Panny RP61 (MSRP=$350) has a built in DTS decoder. It is prog. scan and a DVD-A player as well...supposed to be out soon if not already.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
Link Removed

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Stu,
The DVD-A10 is a great bargain, I bought one recently. The internal DTS decoding is fine. The only problem is that there is no bass management on the DVD-A or DTS decoders. If your 3200 does not do bass management and you don't have full range speakers you'll miss out on a lot of bass. Search for posts by me in Hardware over the last month or so to see how I solved the problem. Look for my DVD-A10 review in the "reviews" section here.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

John Wilson

Supporting Actor
The latest 2 interlaced DVD players from Panasonic (A320 and RV-80) have built-in DD and DTS decoders. If your 3200 has 5.1 inputs, you are good to go. At the risk of it being a shameless plug, I have a mint-condition DVD-A320 DVD player for sale in the Hardware section. You might want to check it out.
blush.gif

Good Luck in your search.
------------------
John F. Wilson
Timing is Everything.
[email protected] Weekdays
[email protected] Nights and Weekends

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks