What's new

Need some tips on fun stuff in NY,NY (1 Viewer)

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Going to NY on monday with a friend of mine.. I was originally going for a wedding but decided on bringing along a friend who has never been there.

We will be in NY until sept 8th.

I guess a day or two will be spent on touristy stuff for my friend, and most of that stuff is fun even if you've seen it before..

Last time I was in NY was jan 99, for a funeral that time so I didn't have that much time for "fun" stuff. Even though I've been in NY plenty of times this is my first time when 1) I have plenty of time and 2) I'm of legal drinking age (I'm 26)

So can anyone give me some tips on:
  • "Must see" places, stuff that's changed since 99. (Not counting the obvious GZ)
  • Good restaurants
  • Good bars
  • Good karaoke bars
  • Good night clubs
  • Good places to shop for dvds (if it's ok in after hours, this is not a bargain thread though!)
  • Good places to do general shopping.
  • Are there any local HTF-meets going on? I met some HTF-people in LA-01, drop me a PM if you want to go out for a beer some day
  • anything I've missed

I'll be staying with a relative in Brooklyn, but IIRC mass transit isn't a problem in NY so we should be able to travel freely.

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Don,

That's on the list.. though I have DLP at home we still don't have any digital theatres over here. Any special ones you can reccomend?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Consistently the best DLP setup that I've been in Manhattan is at the AMC 25 complex near Times Square. There isn't always a DLP presentation playing, though.

DVD shopping in NYC is problematic. Prices are generally higher than what I can find online, and sales tax is high (now 8.625%). The best prices are probably at J&R downtown. We now have two BestBuy stores in Manhattan, at 6th and 23rd and 86th and Lexington, where some good bargains can be found on new releases (but get there on the Tuesday street day to be sure of finding stock).

Do you have IMAX at home? James Cameron's Ghosts of the Abyss should still be playing at the Loews Lincoln Square.

Go to the theater. Only London has theater to rival NYC's. See Antonio Banderas in Nine, or the new production of Little Shop of Horrors (performances start later this month), or this year's Tony-award winner for best play, Take Me Out. Or you could see Melanie Griffith as Roxie in the stage production of Chicago; I haven't seen her, but one leading critic said she was the best Roxie ever (and others have said she's an embarrassment, so who knows?). And if you're willing to invest the time (and can find a ticket), see Brian Dennehy and Vanessa Redgrave give career-defining performances in the revival of Long Day's Journey into Night (the cast also includes Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Robert Sean Leonard).

For a listing of current B'way and off-B'way shows, go here.

M.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
If you really want to see a great show in NY, something you'll be hard pressed to find the likes of anywhere else, check out Avenue Q. Check out the website: Avenue Q on Broadway. Huge buzz for this, and deservedly so. I hope this thing tours so that HTF-ers everywhere can check it out.

As far as other stuff in NYC... So much to say, so little time. If you find yourself in the Broadway area, stop by Carmine's for a family style Italian meal.

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
Ever been to a baseball game? All Yankee games have almost full houses with enthuastic crowds...might wanna check it out. Its the Yankee Stadium Stop on the 4 train which you could pick up in Brooklyn.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
It's so hard to make recommendations without knowing well your tastes and interests but, wanting to be helpful, I am just gonna throw a few things out there:

You'll be in town during
Restaurant Week 2003, a promotion which makes it less expensive to eat at some of the city's finest eateries.

You'll also be in town during the
U.S. Open which takes place in Queens. Not too tough to get there by subway.

Definitely go to the theatre! The recommendations already made here are all good, and I'd also throw Urinetown and Movin' Out into the mix for your consideration. The *funnest* shows around at the moment are Hairspray and The Producers but tickets are scarce for both. Have a look at Broadway Box for possible discounts for most other shows.

If you can be more specific about restaurants and shopping, I can throw some more suggestions your way. Have a great time!

Hakan Powers

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the great tips guys.

I've definately got some good tips!

Checking out a Broadway show is on my agenda, not sure which one though..

I'd like to see Lion King if we can get tickets.

I'll have sporadic net access while in NY, but anyone who want's to hook up with some fellow HTF:ers for some food and a couple of beers (or wine, for us on atkins), post here..

Holadem, where in NY are you? Any favorite bars?

Users who are viewing this thread