What's new

Need some serious help, Denon vs. Onkyo? (1 Viewer)

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
I have been given a pretty decent home theater budget for my father and after breaking it down I would like to spend around $800-1200 on a receiver. So far I have it broken down to the Denon 3803, the Onkyo TX-SR800, or an outside chance at the Onkyo Integra DTR-7.3. I was wondering if any of you guys can help me pick the receiver for me.

1. I intend to use it for DVD's 70% of the time, Xbox games 20%, and the rest split between CD listening and TV viewing, so I would need it to sound excellent for movie soundtracks.

2. I will be using this with a 5.1 setup from either PSB or Paradigm.

I notice that these receivers all seem to have the basic wants that I am looking for. DTS-ES, DD-EX, DPL-II, component switching, adequate amount of optical and coax inputs, DVD-A support. So I am asking which do you suggest I get? Thanks so much guys.

Ammon

Stunt Coordinator
I personally would go with the Denon if you are using it mainly for movies. The Denon has a warmer sound to it and sounds much better with movies IMO. The Onkyo has a too bright a sound for my taste. Although I havent heard the Paradigm speakers, I hear that they are a bit warmer sounding so you might want to find a brighter speaker to match the Denon.

Yogi

Screenwriter
With the speakers of your choice I would definetly go with the Denon for both movies and music. The Onkyo' even though an excellent receiver is slightly forward sounding and hard to listen to over extended periods.

JamesKr

Agent
I listened to the Denon 3803 and the Onkyo SR600. I bought the Denon for 80% movie/20% music use.

Je-P

Stunt Coordinator
I think I'm leaning towards the Denon now. I guess I can just get a nice universal remote to replace the generic ones that Denon ships.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I used to be a big fan of Onkyos, but my personal experiences with customer service and the power supply of the newer Onkyos has caused me to revise my opinion. I did find my last receiver to be bright. Denon has a better reputation toward warmth or neutrality. I'd also suggest you consider brands such as Harman Kardon, Marantz, Pioneer, or Rotel. Of these, my favorite is Rotel. The really good thing is that you're spending your time doing the necessary footwork and research prior to buying and not being rash and uninformed like I was the last time I bought a receiver. ;)

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
I had the SR800 and thought it was great. I replaced it with the B&K AVR-507 which sounds good also but probably not worth the extra money. So it made me realize how good the SR800 was.

Damon_K_S

Auditioning
CNET gave the sr800 a great review, I have one and love it. ONKYO really made up for some mistakes with this one.

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
Todd_Petersen, what speakers were you using with the SR800? Did YOU find the SR800 to be too bright?

DanaA, what's the deal with the Onkyo power supplies?

Jason Brent

Second Unit
When are you buying? You may want to consider the H/K 7200 that is supposed to be released in Feb.

Also, there may be some other new releases during CES this month.

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Todd,

I am using Complete line of the Polk LS/i series speakers. I didnt find the SR800 bright at all but maybe that is just me. I thought my new B&K AVR507 would show dramatic differences from the SR800 but i dont see all that big of deal between the two. Although i will say that i dont no how to use about 50% of the things the B&K will do which would probably make a big difference and the remote it came with is killer although hard to learn as well.

DanaA

Screenwriter
With regard to the power of the Onkyo (and several other brands), I had an old Onkyo Pro 7 (rated at 70 or 80 watts/channel X's 5. I expected my 696 to have more power as it was rated at 100 watts X's 5. I noticed right away that the power of my old receiver not only sounded better, but was more powerful prior to distorting. It turns out that, when tested, it had only 46 watts/channel when all five were being driven simultaneously. Click the link below to see how much power certain brands of receivers are actually producing.
Click Me
I want to add that the 800 might be a whole different thing. Perhaps Onkyo has started to return to its glory days. I used to love Onkyo. Still have that old Pro 7 (well, at least my teenaged daughter does) and it still sounds great. Also, I have an old Onkyo CD changer and still love the dynamic sound it puts out. I was disappointed in the 696 and issues with their previous line involving clicking sounds and audio drop outs. See the link below for this. Hopefully, as I say, they've cleaned up their act. I would love to love Onkyo again. The owners of the 800 who have posted here indicate this might be the case.
Here you go

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks