What's new

Need some new speaker wire, stick with 16 gauge or get a different gauge? (1 Viewer)

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
I'm needing to rewire in my surrounds and wondered if changing wire gauges would be any improvement. Currently I'm using plain old 16 gauge Radio Shack wire into this setup: L,R,LS,RS: Klipsch KG.5 C: Klipsch KV 1 Sub: Klipsch SWV Receiver: Sony STR DE-675 Is 14 or 12 going to be that much of an improvement? I've been thinking I might just go ahead and spring for 12 gauge. I don't need the wire to run through walls.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Going from 16 to 14 or 12 won't make any sort of audible difference. 16 gauge is fine. I use either 16 or 14 gauge. I've used 12 gauge in the past and it was just too unwieldy.

Are you using speaker wire to the subwoofer? Is it a passive subwoofer or do you lack a preout on your receiver? Just curious.

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
I wire in my sub for music playback (vinyl) from my old Yamaha stereo amp. I use the preout normally. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks