Need some new artists to listen to!

Discussion in 'Music' started by James Slade, Nov 12, 2003.

1. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

I need some new music!

I listen to Dave Matthews, Matt Good, David Usher, Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Pilate etc.

Please suggest something to me, I need to discover some new music!!

2. TomCW

TomCW Second Unit

If you like Norah Jones you may like Po' Girl. These gals are high on my not so short list of favorites. Check out the streams on the ALBUM area of thier website. Great stuff.

Tom

3. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Don't know what you would consider "new", but here's what Here's a few I've been listening to that I've been recommending to people:

Coldplay
    Aimee Mann
    Wilco
    Fiona Apple
    Jon Brion
    Keb' Mo'
    Mark Knopfler
    Pete Yorn

4. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    Paul Westerberg
    North Mississippi Allstars
    Indigenous
    Johnny A.
    Kelly Willis
    Steve Earle
    Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise
    Morphine
    John Mayer
    Cracker
    Soul Coughing
    John Hiatt
    The Thorns
    Uncle Tupelo
    Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown

5. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

Hopefully, you already have some familiarity with Canadian bands like Limblifter, See Spot Run, and Static In Stereo. If not, you're in an excellent position to pick them up cheap, and at a local store to boot!

Matt Good is a tough act to follow, in my book. See what you think of Paloalto and The Sheila Divine.

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    Try (I'm sure cduniverse.com will have sound samples):

Damien Rice
    Jack Johnson
    Lizz Wright

7. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I second John Mayer, Jack Johnson, Coldplay and Ryan Adams...

Also Radiohead, Dashboard Confessional off the top of my head...

8. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

10. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

11. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

12. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Seriously, besides the previously mentioned artists, I have been digging Nickelcreek. They're "modern" bluegrass and produced by Alison Krauss.

13. Tim H

Tim H Stunt Coordinator

Howie Day
    Matt Nathanson (His new CD ought to be easy to find)
    Duncan Sheik

14. George See

George See Second Unit

I'll throw another vote in for Fiona Apple.
    Also if you like dave matthews you might want to check out the Blue Man Groups current album "The Complex" it features a song with Dave singing lead vocal. And aside from that it's a fantastic album anyway.

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

copied from a similar thread

radiohead
    one of my all-time faves. if you like coldplay, you'll almost certainly like them. call these guys....ummm...i dunno....experimental/alt/rock? unlike many groups, they have really shifted their sound. their early stuff is more rocky, their latest stuff more electronicky

beth orton
    okay, she may be my all time fave singer. her vocals are so awesome and her sound is truly unique. she is really "big" in the industry, very well known. she has a sultry/raspy/seductive voice. all her albums are worthwhile - try "central reservation" or "trailer park".

bjork
    you may not like her music, but you gotta love her creativity. formerly of the sugarcubes, she has truly broken out on her own. her vocal stylings can sometimes grate your spine, but at the same time, she is just too damn irresistable. go for the greatest hits - which are songs that were chosen by her fans

concrete blond
    featuring the vocal stylings of johnette napolitano - she presents a harder-edged sound than many female vocals...and the band can defintely back her up. their greatest hits album (titled "recollection") is a must-have.

delerium
    in the same style as enigma. very electronic. if you like *that* sound, then this is a band for you. sweeping and organic, yet infused with a modern beat. typically they have recognizable names do the singing - including people like sara mac, sinead o'connor, poe, etc. their breakout album is "karma", but just about any of their stuff will do. i really like their new album too...can't remember what it's called.

diana krall
    if jazz and standards are your thing, then her album "live in paris" is a must-have. premium quality recording only helps. i've probably listened to this album more then any other album while i'm at work. it skips and be-bops along quite nicely.

morcheeba
    more electronic stuff. hard to define...sort of wordly i guess would be accurate. wonderful sweeping textures and a lovely voice by their lead singer. best-of is called "parts of the process", but "big calm" is also a great choice.

nickel creek
    i guess folk would be a good term for these guys? i'm not a huge fan, but i like them enough that i think you should give them a try. i know there are other fans here at htf.

saint etienne
    another one of my all-time faves bands. the lead singer's voice is simply....heavenly. these guys run the gamut: uptempo dance, 70's infused mono, haunting soundscapes, etc. "smash the system" is their best of, and every song on it is great. otherwise, give their first (?) album "foxbase alpha" a try.

wilco
    i just recently got into these guys and i love em. if you're tired of electronic, rap, dance, or anything that involves uber-processed mixes, then these guys are just right. alt-country at it's best. i love listening to these guys when i'm burned out. the only albums i have from them are "being there" and "yankee hotel foxtrot". i would have no problem recommending either one...i'll give a slight nod to being there.

16. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Gov't Mule - I would suggest The Deep End Vol. 1, it is pure Rock & Roll.

The White Stripes

17. Iver

Iver Second Unit

Ted's suggestion of Bjork is a good one. You could start with Debut.

If you want to hear something fresh, grab a copy of the Tiger Lillies' soundtrack record "Shockheaded Peter: A Junk Opera" or their 2003 collaboration with Kronos Quartet, "The Gorey End."

18. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

If you like female artists in the Sarah McLachlan/Tori Amos/Kate Bush mold, and like supporting truly independent* musicians, try Happy Rhodes.

Happy Rhodes samples (she knows I share her music)

* as in no record company whatsoever. Music is her life. Marketing, promotion, playing the game it takes to reach a very large audience isn't, which I deeply respect.

19. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

AS mentioned above

howie day
    kathleen edwards
    john mayer
    coldplay
    travis
    the thorns
    damien rice
    fountain of wayne
    barenaked ladies
    richard thompson
    john hiatt
    jason mraz
    the jayhawks
    johnny langdan bern
    patty griffin
    pete yorn

20. Jim Rykel

Jim Rykel Agent

Few people have heard of Departure Lounge, but I highly recommend them to a fan of any type of music;
    Departure Lounge

Also check out Luna - brilliant stuff.
    Luna