What's new

Need some new artists to listen to! (1 Viewer)

James Slade

Second Unit
I need some new music!

I listen to Dave Matthews, Matt Good, David Usher, Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Pilate etc.

Please suggest something to me, I need to discover some new music!!

TomCW

Second Unit
If you like Norah Jones you may like Po' Girl. These gals are high on my not so short list of favorites. Check out the streams on the ALBUM area of thier website. Great stuff.

Tom

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Don't know what you would consider "new", but here's what Here's a few I've been listening to that I've been recommending to people:

Coldplay
Aimee Mann
Wilco
Fiona Apple
Jon Brion
Keb' Mo'
Mark Knopfler
Pete Yorn

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Paul Westerberg
North Mississippi Allstars
Indigenous
Johnny A.
Kelly Willis
Steve Earle
Robert Bradley's Blackwater Surprise
Morphine
John Mayer
Cracker
Soul Coughing
John Hiatt
The Thorns
Uncle Tupelo
Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Hopefully, you already have some familiarity with Canadian bands like Limblifter, See Spot Run, and Static In Stereo. If not, you're in an excellent position to pick them up cheap, and at a local store to boot!

Matt Good is a tough act to follow, in my book. See what you think of Paloalto and The Sheila Divine.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Try (I'm sure cduniverse.com will have sound samples):

Damien Rice
Jack Johnson
Lizz Wright

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I second John Mayer, Jack Johnson, Coldplay and Ryan Adams...

Also Radiohead, Dashboard Confessional off the top of my head...

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Seriously, besides the previously mentioned artists, I have been digging Nickelcreek. They're "modern" bluegrass and produced by Alison Krauss.

George See

Second Unit
I'll throw another vote in for Fiona Apple.
Also if you like dave matthews you might want to check out the Blue Man Groups current album "The Complex" it features a song with Dave singing lead vocal. And aside from that it's a fantastic album anyway.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
copied from a similar thread

radiohead
one of my all-time faves. if you like coldplay, you'll almost certainly like them. call these guys....ummm...i dunno....experimental/alt/rock? unlike many groups, they have really shifted their sound. their early stuff is more rocky, their latest stuff more electronicky

beth orton
okay, she may be my all time fave singer. her vocals are so awesome and her sound is truly unique. she is really "big" in the industry, very well known. she has a sultry/raspy/seductive voice. all her albums are worthwhile - try "central reservation" or "trailer park".

bjork
you may not like her music, but you gotta love her creativity. formerly of the sugarcubes, she has truly broken out on her own. her vocal stylings can sometimes grate your spine, but at the same time, she is just too damn irresistable. go for the greatest hits - which are songs that were chosen by her fans

concrete blond
featuring the vocal stylings of johnette napolitano - she presents a harder-edged sound than many female vocals...and the band can defintely back her up. their greatest hits album (titled "recollection") is a must-have.

delerium
in the same style as enigma. very electronic. if you like *that* sound, then this is a band for you. sweeping and organic, yet infused with a modern beat. typically they have recognizable names do the singing - including people like sara mac, sinead o'connor, poe, etc. their breakout album is "karma", but just about any of their stuff will do. i really like their new album too...can't remember what it's called.

diana krall
if jazz and standards are your thing, then her album "live in paris" is a must-have. premium quality recording only helps. i've probably listened to this album more then any other album while i'm at work. it skips and be-bops along quite nicely.

morcheeba
more electronic stuff. hard to define...sort of wordly i guess would be accurate. wonderful sweeping textures and a lovely voice by their lead singer. best-of is called "parts of the process", but "big calm" is also a great choice.

nickel creek
i guess folk would be a good term for these guys? i'm not a huge fan, but i like them enough that i think you should give them a try. i know there are other fans here at htf.

saint etienne
another one of my all-time faves bands. the lead singer's voice is simply....heavenly. these guys run the gamut: uptempo dance, 70's infused mono, haunting soundscapes, etc. "smash the system" is their best of, and every song on it is great. otherwise, give their first (?) album "foxbase alpha" a try.

wilco
i just recently got into these guys and i love em. if you're tired of electronic, rap, dance, or anything that involves uber-processed mixes, then these guys are just right. alt-country at it's best. i love listening to these guys when i'm burned out. the only albums i have from them are "being there" and "yankee hotel foxtrot". i would have no problem recommending either one...i'll give a slight nod to being there.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Gov't Mule - I would suggest The Deep End Vol. 1, it is pure Rock & Roll.

The White Stripes

Iver

Second Unit
Ted's suggestion of Bjork is a good one. You could start with Debut.

If you want to hear something fresh, grab a copy of the Tiger Lillies' soundtrack record "Shockheaded Peter: A Junk Opera" or their 2003 collaboration with Kronos Quartet, "The Gorey End."

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
If you like female artists in the Sarah McLachlan/Tori Amos/Kate Bush mold, and like supporting truly independent* musicians, try Happy Rhodes.

Happy Rhodes samples (she knows I share her music)

* as in no record company whatsoever. Music is her life. Marketing, promotion, playing the game it takes to reach a very large audience isn't, which I deeply respect.

Michael Hughes

Second Unit
AS mentioned above

howie day
kathleen edwards
john mayer
coldplay
travis
the thorns
damien rice
fountain of wayne
barenaked ladies
richard thompson
john hiatt
jason mraz
the jayhawks
johnny langdan bern
patty griffin
pete yorn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks