What's new

Need some help with speaker choices... Dalhquist, Axiom, JBL, Klipsch (1 Viewer)

Joshua_M

Agent
Hello all,

I am really starting to get confused here. At first I was set on the axiom set up as follows:

M22 Fronts
QS8 Surrounds
VP150 Center
~$1200

Then I got a line on some Dahlquist's for the following setup

QX9 Fronts
QX20R Surrounds
QX50C Center
~1050

OR

QX9 Fronts
QX9 Surrounds
QX50C Center
~1150

OR

QX9 Fronts
QX5 Surrounds
QX50C Center
~$845

Out of the above what would be my best "bang for buck"? I am also considering JBL S38's all around with an S-Center for ~$800 and possibly Klipsch but for quite a bit more, ~$1500.

I am so torn, can someone lend me some advice. Thanks

-Josh

Joshua_M

Agent
BTW, this will be paired with an SVS PB2-ISD and an HK525. The room size is 15x20 with 7.5' ceilings.

Joshua_M

Agent
c'mon guys I really need to make a descision by to tomorrow to go with the Dahlquist's or not. If not, then I have some time.

MichaelSLB

Agent
Hey Joshua

I just got some Dahlquists myself and absolutely cherish
them for the price I paid! I bet you'll love yours as
well.

I run mine with a Marantz SR6300---a good warm receiver,
which is just what these speakers need. Your H/K 525
should be just about perfect for the Dahlquists.

Marc at AudioShop.on.ca sells both the Axioms and the
Dahlquists and has said that people regularly choose the
Dahlquists over the Axioms in blind A/B tests.

Also, I feel you'll get more bang for your buck with the
Dahlquists than most speakers on the market... you'd be
hard-pressed to beat their value. Just do a search on this
forum for a tonne of great rave reviews on them.

Also, my vote goes towards this package:

QX9 Fronts
QX20R Surrounds
QX50C Center
~1050

...BUT, I'd try to get the QX60C center for the best timbre
matching in the front -- it should only be $50 - $100 more.

Looks like you'll have one fine set-up with your H/K
and the SVS. :)

Enjoy!!!

Michael

Joshua_M

Agent
How would the Dahlquist QX9 compare to the Klipsch RF-15? Or for that matter a what price range would I have to look at to meet the QX9?

Josh "so confused" in Ohio!

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
I think I would look more into the rf3 II's than the rf15's. They are an older model but also a more expensive speaker offered at more of a discount because of their new line. I own a set of them still and am very impressed. They are the only klipsch speakers I kept when I decided to go to a "move up". I can tell you these are excellent in bass, clarity, and overall output. A whole lot of sound comes out of these "little" towers.

Joshua_M

Agent
Hmmm, where can I find those? online? Didn't see them on that website.

You see there are a couple of problems:

1) I have to know I am getting a good deal, bang for buck if you will.

2) My budget is pretty open, with literally hundreds of options.

Is the Dahlquist QX9 for ~$350 per pair "too good to pass up" or should I keep looking is my real question I guess.

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, I just looked into the qx9's and I would have to say the rf3's will trounce them just judging by specs. The rf3s have dual 8" woofers vs qx9's 6" and the rf3's use a very efficient horn tweeter to achieve high volume and great clarity. Sensitivity on teh qx9's is 93db vs the rf3's 102db. And finally the qx9's weigh in at 35lbs vs the rf3's at 56lbs. Their cabinets are close in size with the klipsch rf3 slightly larger so most of the weight difference would be from the magnets(which is a good thing). One bit of advice, don't skimp on your mains if you got the cash to do it. I know their is a decent difference in price but I guarantee you'll be happier in the long run with a much better purchase.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I use s38's all around, and I was thinking of upgrading, so I went and auditioned a fair amount of really high end speakers and came to the conclusion that the s38's are way darn good, even up against speakers costing 4 times as much.

Good luck with whatever you decide to go with.

Joshua_M

Agent
John,

Honestly the S38 all around are the front runner right now. For $600 and all five speakers just sounds like an unbelievable value. S38's front and back with the S-center.

On the other hand if I am "missing" out on much better sound I would spend upwars of $1500.

Hmmm, maybe I will go with the JBL's for now and upgrade once I have had time with the speakers and auditioned others.

Thanks for the replys and I will look more into the Klipsch and go listen to some this weekend.

SherriK

Auditioning
Josh,

Who has the best price on jbl's? You mentioned
5 jbl's for $600. Where are they?

Thanks, Sherri

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, BESTPRICEAUDIOVIDEO.com has s38II's for $249 with free shipping. They are sold in pairs, s-centers can be had for around $100 at a few places. I think that is his $600 total for a 5.1 system.

Now mind you, I have the older s38's not the II's, but I think they are equivelent or maybe even considered a tad better than the s38's I have. I don't use an s-center, I use 2 s38's for my center.

Philip A

Agent
Hello Joshua,

I've got the QX10's, QX60C, QX6's, and a QX4 with my M&K sub and it rocks, or sings, or whatever else you want it to.

I trusted Marc at his word over a year and a half ago and haven't needed to look back! Since then, I've heard M&K, Klipsch, Macintosh, Polk, Infinity, Energy, and NHT in some very nice soundrooms. With the exception of NHTs ($2,500 for the pair, mind you), the Dahls have been far more pleasing on both music and ht. My brother-in-law from Seattle also heard them all over two separate occasions (using Jesse Cook, B-Tribe, E. S. Posthumous, and other demanding tracks) while visiting SLC and here in Idaho--he was just as impressed. In fairness, the Energys were right there with the Dahls in HT...

Klipsch are nice, especially if you want big spl--but their horn tweeters are fatiguing to many after a while. They are a fine speaker, though; they just didn't produce the nearly 3-D effect that the Dahls can (and I'm talking about 2 channel stereo). In fact, until I did some hard comparisons with the other speakers mentioned above, I didn't fully appreciate the Dahl's separation and soundstage. Marc had mentioned people talking about the 3-D effect but I hadn't noticed it really--I just though they sounded great. Now I realize how special that "great" sound is!

I have two brothers with Klipsch 5.1 HTs and they both admit that the Dahls are more revealing and detailed. Again, in fairness, the Dahls don't put out as much SPL per watt due to the unreal sensitivity per watt of the Klipschs. However, the Dahls will put your hair back if you want them too (AC/DC and Boston never sounded so good!).

Anyway, for the prices, the Dahls have got to be very hard to equal, and especially hard to beat.

Best to you,
Phil

--Marc is great to work with before, during and after the sale...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks