What's new

Need some help hooking up VCR up to Onkyo 595 and HTPC (1 Viewer)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i have an Onkyo 595, Marantz CC-4000, an N64, and a new VCR i want to hook up to my computer. i've had the Onkyo and the Marantz working thru my PC for weeks, but want to add these two. i use my computer's dvd player and the 19" monitor for movies.
the VCR has an f-type coax out (but we can get component if needed) and the N64 has component out. i've tried hooking one of them into the Video 2 slot in the Onkyo and running an s-video cable from the monitor out to the s-video in on my computer's WinTV card. nothing happens.
i dont have an f-type coax in on the computer and i'm wondering why what i've tried wont work. any help is much appreciated. thanks!
------------------
-Thomas
Click here to visit my webpage.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
You're probably looking at a composite out, not component - but I might be wrong there. If there are three cables for audio and video both (usually yellow, red and white) then it is almost certainly composite - a step above coax, but definitely not S-Video (round DIN type plug with little connectors) or Component (usually 3 cables for video only).
Now, most receiver won't convert between different types of video. If indeed your video out is composite (single yellow pin, the red and white carry R/L audio channels) and you want your receiver's output in S-video format, then Radio Shack has a little in-line device that converts from one to the other - composite in on one side, s-video out on other. Usually requires 2 cables to make it work. It ain't phenomenally great, but it will do the trick... and also in reverse, if for some unknown reason you wanted to downgrade the S-Video input.
Either way, you get the same kind of signal to the receiver - which can then forward it to the TV.
I use this little device to send my VCR's composite signal to the receiver as S-Video so I can use it to switch. While there is a little degradation, there isn't enough to eliminate the convenience factor...
Hope this helps!
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks