What's new

Need some car stereo advice, especially about speakers (long) (1 Viewer)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Wayne,
Many new head units offer phase shifting in the digital domain (Alpine, etc.). If you are planning on upgrading the HU down the road then I'd hold off on the PPI. I use my Alpine HU for my (sub/main) crossover and phase shifting... this makes for a cleaner install.

When I was looking for

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Dean, Greg, thanks for the info. :)

Dean,

Re the Soundstreams, what I fleshed out from the car audio forums was that the late-model (post buy-out) Soundstream amps are below par, but the older Reference and Rubicon lines were excellent. I did pick up that a few of the older models that did have some problems, like the Reference line that has the "s” designation after the model number, and the Rubicon II series, so I’ll be avoiding those. Of course, any additional enlightenment you may have to share is appreciated!

Thanks for the info on the a/d/s/ vs. Dynaudio. I keep hearing great things about Dynaudio – if it turns out I’m not happy with the 346’s I’ll probably be looking in that direction, since I’m sure at that point I wouldn’t be impressed with Boston, CDT or Focal.

Greg,

I’m not overly enthralled with my current head unit, but it’ll do for the time being. I’m just trying to get some decent sound in this car with minimal expense and hassle (although the “expense” bar keeps creeping upwards – funny how that works... :laugh: ). I’m getting a pretty good deal on the PPI, which means (like the a/d/s/ speakers) I should able to dump it on eBay if I don’t like it.

I considered the Kodas early on and ruled them out because of the price and the low efficiency rating. However, with the “creep” factor I ended up paying as much for the a/d/s/ as the Kodas cost... :b

So I guess it makes sense to try them if I don’t like the a/d/s/ before I move up to the Dynas.

Anyone have any idea how the Adire Kodas compare to the Dynaudios?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Wayne,
I would go with the Koda's if your install relies on smooth off axis response (i.e. drivers are in their stock positions). If you've built a custom mount and have the speakers aimed at the driver's seat then I'd go with the Dyns, CDT, or Focal options. Supposedly a/d/s speakers are made for excellent off-axis response (like the Kodas). IMO the Dyns are built with the assumption that a custom door mount and enclosure will be built. Just like HT speakers it becomes a matter a preference...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks