What's new

Need Some Advice on Ebay/fraud (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
Exactly what explanation is eBay giving you about why the tracking info doesn't matter?
+1. I cannot possibly see how they ignore that.

it's the word of an individual against an arm of the federal government. We usually know how that works out...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The tracking info only "proves" that the package was delivered.
It doesn't give any evidence about what it contained - the real merchandize or old newspapers and potato-peels.

( :) I really read a case where a "box" of garbage was delivered instead of the real stuff! Sorry, I'm of course not implying anything like that in this case, just commenting on the practical value of a tracking record.)

Cees

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Michael Elliott said:
With that said. After a few months I signed up for a new account and started selling. Just spent the last two hours on the phone with eBay because they took yet another $186 from my account saying that the buyer didn't receive the item. ... Obviously I just have bad luck at selling things
Michael, you're having unusually bad luck at eBay. What sorts of things are you selling? Is this domestic or international?I've sold about a hundred items the past few years and I've got a positive rating of 70. So I'm a very small time, but seasoned seller. I sell things ranging from used DVDs to used TiVos. Last week I sold an Apple Cinema Display and my old Logitech Revolution MX mouse (wipes away a tear).Fortunately, I've never had problems, save for the annoying bidder who won a Cinderella DVD auction right before Christmas, and then pay for it. I had to relist after the holidays, going from a $30 sale to a $10 sale. So, only minor quibbles. No thefts or fraud!So, wow, you're having a terrible time of it!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ Broadly speaking, I think it's because eBay is now protecting buyers to the point where a buyer can say just about anything and eBay will refund the money. It doesn't matter how real or imagined an issue it is or if an item has been delivered or if it was insured, it's almost always going to be the seller's fault and he has to pay the money back. I'm all for protecting buyers from unscrupulous sellers (I buy way more than I sell) but given how easy it is for buyers to abuse eBay's money back guarantee, they need to keep their eyes on unscrupulous buyers too.

Long story short, eBay has made it so that if you're a lowlife, you can get free stuff by simply taking a minute to file a complaint with eBay.

Dougofthenorth

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
TravisR said:
^ Broadly speaking, I think it's because eBay is now protecting buyers to the point where a buyer can say just about anything and eBay will refund the money. It doesn't matter how real or imagined an issue it is or if an item has been delivered or if it was insured, it's almost always going to be the seller's fault and he has to pay the money back. I'm all for protecting buyers from unscrupulous sellers (I buy way more than I sell) but given how easy it is for buyers to abuse eBay's money back guarantee, they need to keep their eyes on unscrupulous buyers too.

Long story short, eBay has made it so that if you're a lowlife, you can get free stuff by simply taking a minute to file a complaint with eBay.
As they say - the pendulum keeps swinging one way then the other - between the two extremes
- I remember several years ago, one couldn't get money back from a "seller" no matter what...
I for one stopped using it for several years & now still only cautiously & reluctantly.

It got so bad it impacted eBay's business, so I expect that's why it is now the other way around...

Sorry to hear of your bad experiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks