Need Some Advice on Ebay/fraud

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Michael Elliott, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Exactly what explanation is eBay giving you about why the tracking info doesn't matter?

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

+1. I cannot possibly see how they ignore that.

it's the word of an individual against an arm of the federal government. We usually know how that works out...

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Hell, not only that, it's the employer of RON FREAKING EPSTEIN!!! How much more authoritative could it be?

FoxyMulder likes this.
  4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    The tracking info only "proves" that the package was delivered.
    It doesn't give any evidence about what it contained - the real merchandize or old newspapers and potato-peels.

( :) I really read a case where a "box" of garbage was delivered instead of the real stuff! Sorry, I'm of course not implying anything like that in this case, just commenting on the practical value of a tracking record.)

Cees

5. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Michael, you're having unusually bad luck at eBay. What sorts of things are you selling? Is this domestic or international?I've sold about a hundred items the past few years and I've got a positive rating of 70. So I'm a very small time, but seasoned seller. I sell things ranging from used DVDs to used TiVos. Last week I sold an Apple Cinema Display and my old Logitech Revolution MX mouse (wipes away a tear).Fortunately, I've never had problems, save for the annoying bidder who won a Cinderella DVD auction right before Christmas, and then pay for it. I had to relist after the holidays, going from a $30 sale to a $10 sale. So, only minor quibbles. No thefts or fraud!So, wow, you're having a terrible time of it!

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

^ Broadly speaking, I think it's because eBay is now protecting buyers to the point where a buyer can say just about anything and eBay will refund the money. It doesn't matter how real or imagined an issue it is or if an item has been delivered or if it was insured, it's almost always going to be the seller's fault and he has to pay the money back. I'm all for protecting buyers from unscrupulous sellers (I buy way more than I sell) but given how easy it is for buyers to abuse eBay's money back guarantee, they need to keep their eyes on unscrupulous buyers too.

Long story short, eBay has made it so that if you're a lowlife, you can get free stuff by simply taking a minute to file a complaint with eBay.

7. Dougofthenorth

Dougofthenorth Stunt Coordinator

Doug
    As they say - the pendulum keeps swinging one way then the other - between the two extremes
    - I remember several years ago, one couldn't get money back from a "seller" no matter what...
    I for one stopped using it for several years & now still only cautiously & reluctantly.

It got so bad it impacted eBay's business, so I expect that's why it is now the other way around...

Sorry to hear of your bad experiences.