Need some advice for my Ghetto HT.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by James W. Johnson, Sep 21, 2003.

1. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

We poor folk need HT too!
    So I have the HT bug again and have made spare bedroom into my viewing area.

The room measures 10' from the back wall to the screen. The closet gives me an additional 2' which just barely gives me enough space to project my 72" wide 16:9 screen. I lucked out because I did not run the numbers before I bought my Infocus X1 projector last week.
    At the moment I only have my Kit281s connected to my newly purchased Yamaha HTR-5660 6.1 receiver , they sound good for now but I realize I will be better off with a set of good sattelites and a small subwoofer since the room is so small.

So far it worked out way better than I expected, I am very happy with the view from any seat on either sofa. I have 100% light control since I blocked out the one window. (Hey I get a free nap room out of the deal because even with the sun blaring outside you cannot tell from inside this room. )
    The room is nice and cozy and it really feels like a mini-theater when you go inside.

What color and sheen of paint will make movie viewing better? As it is now it seems like the off white walls and ceiling reflect some light and almost make the screen seem brighter ...what would happen if I painted the walls and ceiling flat grey or something?

What are some other things I could do to make it feel more like an HT?

Thanks
    Here are some pics.. http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bentvalve/misc.htm

2. JawhnM

JawhnM Stunt Coordinator

Suggestions: Dark walls and ceiling will improve brightness and contrast. Flat black or dark gray may be prefered (the room is dark, even with the lights on), but many folks have had good sucess with dark red or blue. Almost any color would be better than white or cream. Just make sure whatever color you choose, that it's flat and dark.

For that HT feel: A few movie posters, movie memorabilla, Etc. You could build a small box for your projector on the back wall (kind of like a projection booth). Check out my HT site below as well as the gallery here:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/...ent/page3.html
    and at:
    http://gallery.avsforum.com/
    http://www.hitechplace.com/crt/
    for some great ideas on decorating.

3. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

I second on Gray paint. I have a small room and light was even reflecting off the back wall washing things out. The whole picture got much more crisp after painting. What color did I paint.. It was the next to darkest color in Glidden paint at Home Depot.

Words of warning though, under normal "yellow" light, dark grays look green to some people.

4. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

I like gray a lot too, especially with some nice cherry wood trim. It all depends on the rest of the room and your equipment. What is the floor/carpet like? How did you finish your 281s? What other furniture is in the room? Like JawhnM said, any dark flat colour will make it a better viewing environment, just pick one that suits the room.

Edit: Just looked at the pics, nice speakers, I think they'd look great against a dark grey wall... but did you paint it that greeny-blue already?

5. James W. Johnson

Yeah I ended up painting it with a Behr color called Marine Magic, for some reason it looks alot less green/blue in person, its a flat grey tone color ...at first I was abit disappointed but its actually working quite well, the dark flat walls really increased the contrast quite abit.

I got new Klipsch Ref speakers all around and installed a subwoofer in the closet, I have done some other things too.

Take at look at the changes,
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bentvalve/misc.htm

If I do repaint it, does anyone know of a good specific darker grey color to use?

6. James W. Johnson

Well my Grey certainly looks greenish in person but it looks really green when taking a photo of it.
    In person it looks alot closer to the sample color piece I have on my webpage.

7. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

James,

I don't think you have a ghetto theater at all.
    I think it's very nice.

8. Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill Second Unit

I agree with Glenise....

Don't put you "Home Theater" down. At least you have one

Home theaters come with limitations, wether it be money or room size. I have both problems...LOL . I have a small theater 13 x 12.5 (also a un-used bedroom), and I can't afford to spend much more than the $7-$10K that I already spent re-doing the room.

Just say "NO" to ghetTO

Signed
    ED

9. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

If your HT is ghetto, then some of the HTs around here must be HSHTs (Homeless Shelter Home Theatre). I think you're doing a nice job so far.

- Cryo

10. James W. Johnson

Thanks for the postive feedback.

Today I mounted the projector inverted on the upper shelf and lowered the screen quite abit.
    see details here....
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/bentvalve/misc.htm

The only downside is the view from the rear sofa is not as good and my screen will have to be 66" wide instead of 72", so i will have to mask off my screen.

I am alot happier with the lower screen. What material is best for masking? I need to block 1.7" on the top and bottom and 3" on the left and right.

11. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    James,

I think you did a great job with your HT! That's some seriously creative use of a small space. I'll bet it sounds pretty darn good, too. [​IMG]

Great job. [​IMG]

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Good move on the projector location change and nice work on the other stuff.

13. Ramon O. Valera

Ramon O. Valera Stunt Coordinator

How do you like the Infocus X1 Projector? I'm considering buying it soon.

Thanks
    Ramon